• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlaying Multiple Clips

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will preface this by saying that I'm an absolute novice when it comes to Premiere Pro. I'm trying to make a video where two clips are always playing, one on top of the other at the same time, but they alternate which clip is more prominent while the other is still slightly visible in the background. If there is a name for this type of editing or transition that would help and if you could also give me some tips on getting this effect I would greatly appreciate it! If not I'll at least be able to youtube the correct transition name. My guess is it has something to do with layering the clips and changing the opacity but I am unsure?

I have a clip of me driving to Vegas. My "vision" is that I want to always have the clip of me driving to be playing while clips of Vegas are fading in and out, almost like a foreshadowing effect of where my final destination is.

I hope that makes sense and is a very simple thing to do. I appreciate the advice and if anything is unclear let me know!

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Put the "main" clip on V1, the one that fades in/out on V2 ... and yes, use keyframes for the Opacity in the ECP for the clips to blend the top one in/out. Sounds like you'll be setting the upper clip close to 0 at times, and maybe taking opacity on lower one only down a bit.

It's a lot like putting salt & pepper on your steak ... much a "to taste" decision.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the "main" clip on V1, the one that fades in/out on V2 ... and yes, use keyframes for the Opacity in the ECP for the clips to blend the top one in/out. Sounds like you'll be setting the upper clip close to 0 at times, and maybe taking opacity on lower one only down a bit.

It's a lot like putting salt & pepper on your steak ... much a "to taste" decision.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from what Neil said...experiment with Blend Modes (in Opacity).  Screen is probably the one you want.

Use key frames to control the degree of blend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a name for this type of editing

There is.  "Annoying".  To wit:

Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - YouTube

Just don't do it, man!  Have some compassion for your viewers, I beg you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Jim ... lol ... great post to see first thing in the morning!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a similar scene of two guys driving to Vegas with footage overlayed: https://youtu.be/P2pgWsYSyUA?t=35s

Like Jim and Neil have stated, you'll want to play with opacity or blend modes to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines