• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting or overwriting only specific attributes?

Participant ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to change a specific parameter within an effect on one clip, and then apply only that single change to other clips in the timeline that have the same effect.  Is that possible?  Here's an example of what I mean:

I have a multicam interview sequence where I've applied Lighting Effects to one of the camera angles.  For this camera angle I used three different lights within the effect, all of which have their own unique parameters for color, angle, radius, focus, and intensity.

I applied the effect to the first instance of this angle in the sequence and made my tweaks to the various parameters of all three lights. When I got it where I wanted it, I used Paste Attributes to apply the effect to all the subsequent instances of that camera angle in the sequence.  This is a 20-minute interview so there are quite a few times when that angle is used.

When I looked at the cut a day later, I decided I needed to change _only_ the color and the intensity settings on _only one_ of the three lights I'm using in the effect.   I made those changes on the first instance of that angle and now I have to apply them to every other instance in the timeline.  

The only way I know to do this is to select all the other instances of that camera in the timeline and apply Paste Attributes again. Then I have to go through, click on each instance and delete the original version of the effect, leaving me with the updated version.  This is obviously time-consuming, but it's less time-consuming than opening each clip and manually typing in the updated parameters.

Is there any way to do a "Paste Specific Attributes" (in this case just changing the color and intensity settings of one of the three lights) while leaving the rest of the effect's attributes unchanged, or overwrite the original version rather than pasting a duplicate and then deleting the original? 

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I figured I'd put it out there in case anyone else faces this kind of thing and has come up with a solution or a workaround.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are unfortunately correct ... if you change the parameters of one section of one effect, you can't simply change that one parameter in bulk to others.

Now, from what you've said, do you have say three different instances of the effect on each clip? As if so, then you could go down the liine, deleting that one instance. Then select the group, and copy/apply the instance to the others.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, only one instance of the effect is on the clip.  When I change parameters on the effect, then I just paste attributes with the new settings on to all the other similar clips, and then go through them all deleting the previous instance of the same effect.  I wish there was an "overwrite" function in Paste Attributes, so that rather than creating a second version of the effect it would just apply the new parameters to the existing effect that's already on the clip.  That would go a long way toward addressing my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines