Poor Editing Performance on New M1 Mac Studio

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just set up Premiere on a clean M1 Mac Studio.

Editing lightly-compressed h.264 footage in a timline lags 3-5 seconds scrubbing and hitting play.

Here is a video of clicking around the timeline in Premire Pro showing a significan lag 

Here is me skipping around inside the same video on the same M1 Mac, this time in QuickTime Player.  Skipping through the file to access random frames is instantaneous:

Here I am skipping around the same file in KDENlive on generic Linux hardware.  Performance is also near-instantaneous:

Why is Adobe performance on the latest Mac harware inferior to free/Linux software on old hardware?

Will  this be fixed soon?

Is this better on Wintel?  I have 10 days to return my hardware purchase.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022
Hi, Can you download the Premiere Pro Beta and test the performance there? There were some recent updates for M1 there. Let us know! Thanks, Kevin

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022
Holy smokes! Can confirm this appears to be fixed in the Beta.  So much better. With the Beta version of Premiere, I'm seeing performance much more in line with what I expected. Thanks for the tip!

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you download the Premiere Pro Beta and test the performance there? There were some recent updates for M1 there. Let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy smokes!

Can confirm this appears to be fixed in the Beta.  So much better.

With the Beta version of Premiere, I'm seeing performance much more in line with what I expected.

Thanks for the tip!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news!

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines