• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP 2020 Project File From PP 2022

Participant ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PP 2022 project file that needs to be opened and edited in PP 2020. I used the Final Cut Pro XML export method from PP 2022 and opened the XML file in PP 2020. So far, so good.

But now I have to fix some problems and media that won’t load, mainly AE Dynamic Link files. When I try to re-link these Dynamic Link media files:

“The importer reported a generic error.”

I’m thinking this has to do with the version of AE 2022 that was used to create the linked media file.  Is there any way to fix this?

The other issue is an adjustment layer with an effect added – it came into my new timeline as a black solid. I can fix this, but it’s the linked media files (AE Dynamic Link files) that are the real problem.

The last-ditch workaround is rendering individual videos from my (many) linked AE project files, importing them, and replacing each clip in my timeline. OUCH.

Any suggestions to re-link these AE Dynamic Link files in my timeline?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Thomas Hanser wrote:

I’m thinking this has to do with the version of AE 2022 that was used to create the linked media file.  Is there any way to fix this?

The other issue is an adjustment layer with an effect added – it came into my new timeline as a black solid. I can fix this, but it’s the linked media files (AE Dynamic Link files) that are the real problem.

Any suggestions to re-link these AE Dynamic Link files in my timeline?

Try installing a 2020 version of Ae that matches your 2020 Pr version. Open the Creative Cloud app, click All apps in the left column, find the Ae entry, click the 3 dots menu and choose Other Versions. They go all the way back to 18.something.

For the adjustment layer, I think the black solid is expected, depending on which effect(s) are on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

I have AE 2020 installed, in fact. And I can open my AE 2022 project files in AE 2020, no problem, no error messages.

I still can't get the linked AE Dynamic Link files to update in PP 2020.

Somewhere along the line, there's a break in the communication between app versions.

I'll keep trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I've had to do in the past is do a replace footage operation in Pr and point it at the Ae project. 

So if you haven't tried this, open the project in Pr 2020 and (maybe for good luck) open Ae 2020 at the same time. Then find one of your linked Ae comps in the Pr project panel, right-click it and choose replace footage. Then navigate to the Ae 2020 project and link it.

An alternative method would be to make your Ae comps in the 2020 Pr project offline, then do a link media operation to point them to the Ae project.

I would do all of this on a copy of your original project, in case things go horribly wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have tried creating a new project file in Pr2022.

In the MediaBrowser panel then navigate to the Pr2020 project file, click on it, right-click ... import sequences. See how that works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil Haugen:

I tried importing from the Media Browser, as you suggested. I tried two methods (check boxes) by importing either the project itself or just the sequences:

Error Message:

This project was saved in a newer version of Adobe Premiere Pro and cannot be opened in this version.

Error Message:

The importer reported a generic error.

I tried this in a new project in PP 2020, which is what I'm migrating TO.

It's not the end of the world, just my last demo reel I use on my site, with a LOT of imported Dynamic Link files. I really like that feature from Adobe but I regret having to re-do this timeline again.

Why am I going back to PP 2020? The new PP 2022 doesn't like custom-saved workspaces, which is the only way I can work. If you switch from EDITING to EXPORT at the top, your undocked windows all appear over the export dialog box. Maybe they'll fix that someday.

Oh, well.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, right!

Actually I've got nine custom workspaces I use a lot. Without troubles ... but then, I don't like undocked windows, so all my panels are docked. To each their own!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines