• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pr CS5 - List of supported CUDA Cards

Advisor ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is working on a playback and rendering engine for Adobe Premiere Pro called the Mercury Playback Engine. This new engine is NVIDIA® GPU-accelerated, 64-bit native, and architected for the future. Native 64-bit support enables you to work more fluidly on HD and higher resolution projects, and GPU acceleration speeds effects processing and rendering.

The Mercury Playback Engine offers these benefits:

• Open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD and higher resolution sequences in real time, enjoy smooth scrubbing, and play back complex projects without rendering.
  • See results instantly when applying multiple color corrections and effects across many video layers.
  • Work in real time on complex timelines and long-form projects with thousands of clips — whether your project is SD, HD, 2K, 4K, or beyond.

Ensure your system is ready to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine in a future version of Adobe Premiere Pro. The Mercury Playback Engine works hand-in-hand with NVIDIA® CUDA™ technology to give you amazingly fluid, real-time performance. See it in action

* PR CS5 supports the following list of CUDA cards:

285.jpgGeForce GTX 285Windows and MAC
3800.jpgQuadro FX 3800Windows
4800.jpgQuadro FX 4800Windows and MAC
5800.jpgQuadro FX 5800Windows
quadrocx.jpgQuadro CXWindows

More hardware details:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Now that the launch is done and this information is all public, I'm going to summarize all the bits of information that have been floating around into one distilled post:

The Mercury playback engine comprises of 3 areas (our chief weapons are surprise, surprise and fear...  nevermind...):

- 64 bit support, and better memory management / frame cache management / sharing between the Adobe apps (ie Premiere and After Effects & the Media Encoder have a notion of shared memory now, and are aware of how

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 265 Replies 265
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth pointing out that, according to a post from Adobe staffer Simon Hayhurst on the Red user forums (click here and look at post #133) confirms that the GTX 480 will get CUDA support, though it's not likely to happen until sometime this summer.  From day one it will be a ludicrously fast GPU that runs Creative Suite, and then in an update to follow it'll gain support for CUDA acceleration of the Mercury Playback Engine.

I didn't see any mention of the GTX 470, but from a technical standpoint it should be a no-brainer (both cards use the same chip, the 470 just has a portion disabled).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://i42.tinypic.com/oh00lv.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute what does that mean? Does that mean that the 260GTX is supported? Didn't somebody in this thread said that it wasn't supported?

Is it supported or not? Is this some sort of update from Adobe? Or does this mean that Adobe merely means that the other cards have not been officially certified but that many other will work despite that? Does that mean that it will fully accelerate Premier CS5 videos? What exactly does this mean? Can anybody clarify this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  From what I can tell from the screen shot, that's a pic of an nVidia utility showing what hardware features the card supports.  Has nothing to do with Adobe application support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Adobe website, ( today ) here are the ONLY cards to be certified.

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration

• Quadro  CX (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
  • Quadro FX 4800  (Windows and Mac OS)
  • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
  • GeForce  GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot above is the OpenGL Info dialogue box from Abobe After Effects. What it is doing here, I don't know, as it has nothing to do with the Mercury Playback Engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chiuvas wrote:

http://i42.tinypic.com/oh00lv.jpg

This post has nothing to do with Pr's MPE Cuda support.  (Except to confuse people)  Why did you post it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might simply be some confusion between cards that support assorted features and technologies in AE and the cards that support the CUDA acceleration in the Mercury Playback Engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a Poll and then a Petition for which cards get support?

Maybe an organized message including statistics from one of the board veterans would be helpful.   I vote for zenviolence   (ha......ha)

To appease the masses, Adobe should support some high-end consumer card....i.e. GTX 470 & 480. My 2 cents.

What say you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been said (by an Adobe employee) that the GTX480 will be added to the list sometime after release, hopefully this summer (it's a newer card, they got a late start).  No word yet on if that support would extend to the GTX470, the upcoming GTX460, or any other upcoming cards in the 4xx line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but it has also been said (Wil/Adobe) that the GTX 480 does NOT fit into the current MAC cases.  Wil - "from what I hear the GTX 480, while being the better card, won't fit  into the mac pro chassis"

The point of my post was to get some kind of organized communication to Adobe versus just ranting on this board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"from what I hear the GTX 480, while being the better card, won't fit  into the mac pro chassis"

So who cares? 95% of the people use PC, and the remaining 5% can always switch to PC, unless they want MAC over a modern video card. I see no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Size isn't the issue.  A Mac compatible version of the GTX480 has not yet been announced/released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GTX 480 is larger than the GTX 470.   Nothing to do with availability for the Mac.  It physically will not fit if I understand Wil's comments.

See link:  (bottom of page)

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review

A moot point since neither is supported (yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's any consolation, I understand that the 480 runs very hot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, but slightly less than the Quadro 4800 from what I have heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPE Works on GTX 470!!!!!......I think

Using the GTX 200 workaround floating around the net, I was able to add the GTX 470.

Note this is Full Res preview

1)  GPU/CPU usage changes favoring the GPU when I enable MPE hardware support. 100% in software mode, 30% cpu/60% gpu (+/-)

2)  Renderling changes from Yellow to Red when I switch back and forth

3) Smoth playback is possible with GPU while the Software jerky

I'm running stock i7 930 6gb ram  SSD

Can someone else verify this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX 470 results - How I tested

720-p 60 streams - 4 video streams, picture in picture + GPU effects gaus blur, basic 3d

I'm seeing 50% Cpu / 90% gpu with this setup.

Using GPU-Z and Windows Task Manager to monitor usage.

Is this actually working?

If so, don't buy a GTX 285 folks.

Again, can someone verify this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cts51911 wrote:

If so, don't buy a GTX 285 folks.

As someone who has a laptop with an NVIDIA card with CUDA (GTX-230M), I'm watching this thread (and others like it around the web) to see how people do.

One thing everyone should keep in mind is that if you are working in a professional environment, using this "hack" may cause you more trouble then it's worth. The list of supported cards were all tested pretty thoroughly, and for someone to go into the code, make changes, and use untested hardware could cause you some pain while editing. I wouldn't ever advise anyone NOT to buy one of the supported cards, but instead "work with this hack at your own risk."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you.

The smiley face was an indication that I was half serious.

You have to admit, seeing that it at least works at some level already is promising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ireally hope you are right...if not - this is a scandal....it just seem to be too simple a hack...

Right now I have 4 layers p-in-p with four effects on each - 720 50 P running with NO stuttering at all...smooth playback as I have never seen before,,,my issues with crash I think was related to the fact that I used an old sequence made in CS4 and opened it in cs5 - it did not turn out well. But starting from scratch in cs5 - it works....it seems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A scandal?  Hardly.  Adobe has taken the right track.  The "Pro" moniker means that professionals will have a more stable platform with the supported hardware.  For monkeys like me, I get a glimpse of what is possible.

Heck, the reality is that the software renderer is more than enough for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - yeah man - thats the right attitude....

You are right - and I am sure I will be happy with my new FX 3800 anyway.

I do this video-stuff for a living - having ½ of my income from producing small documentaries, e-learning videos etc. So I really need a stable and smooth editting experience. So yes - i need the FX 3800 so I can enjoy stable performance I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1/2 your income...Yeah, I would say you are serious.  Get the best tools you can buy.

My GTX 470 is used mainly for Left 4 Dead 2 .

I"m also the type that took apart the GTX 470 the day I got it.

My work computer is dedicated for that...Work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines