• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pr CS5 - List of supported CUDA Cards

Advisor ,
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is working on a playback and rendering engine for Adobe Premiere Pro called the Mercury Playback Engine. This new engine is NVIDIA® GPU-accelerated, 64-bit native, and architected for the future. Native 64-bit support enables you to work more fluidly on HD and higher resolution projects, and GPU acceleration speeds effects processing and rendering.

The Mercury Playback Engine offers these benefits:

• Open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD and higher resolution sequences in real time, enjoy smooth scrubbing, and play back complex projects without rendering.
  • See results instantly when applying multiple color corrections and effects across many video layers.
  • Work in real time on complex timelines and long-form projects with thousands of clips — whether your project is SD, HD, 2K, 4K, or beyond.

Ensure your system is ready to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine in a future version of Adobe Premiere Pro. The Mercury Playback Engine works hand-in-hand with NVIDIA® CUDA™ technology to give you amazingly fluid, real-time performance. See it in action

* PR CS5 supports the following list of CUDA cards:

285.jpgGeForce GTX 285Windows and MAC
3800.jpgQuadro FX 3800Windows
4800.jpgQuadro FX 4800Windows and MAC
5800.jpgQuadro FX 5800Windows
quadrocx.jpgQuadro CXWindows

More hardware details:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Now that the launch is done and this information is all public, I'm going to summarize all the bits of information that have been floating around into one distilled post:

The Mercury playback engine comprises of 3 areas (our chief weapons are surprise, surprise and fear...  nevermind...):

- 64 bit support, and better memory management / frame cache management / sharing between the Adobe apps (ie Premiere and After Effects & the Media Encoder have a notion of shared memory now, and are aware of how

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 265 Replies 265
Advisor ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think both are fine.  I have the 1G myself.  Didnt want to spend too much until I see what cards adobe may certify in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can now confirm that FX3800 (wich I have just installed) and a GTX 260 (with the modificated txt-file as described elsewhere in this forum) - are performing equal in playback. I can not see any difference in speed or performance playing back. Have not tested encoding speed - and will not either - don´t wanna install the old GTX once agian. The AVCHD clips i had problems playing with the GTX 260 does have the same issues with the FX3800. But I have found out that the main reassons are: 1) using non-accelerated effetcs like Shadow/Highlight 2) The AVCHD issue with CS4/CS5 - that one can not use the same clip twice adjacent to each other. Fx if you take a movieclip and make two clips out of it and put them togehter at the timeline and use a Croos-dissolve between the two clips - you will experience stuttering and pausing in playback if you use AVCHD. THis issue has been reported to Adobe!

So waste of money? Maybee - but at least I now have a card that has been tested and is officially suppoorted by Adobe/Nvidia. My FX3800 is from PNY and there are as I recall only this manufacterer - when my GTX is from Inno3D - and there are lots of dirfferent manufacturers. Meaning the FX3800 is more Pro in the way it is allways made by the same company - and not as the GTX made by several.that might user different parts in the production that may vary and give different results - and might even cause issues? BEsides the FX3800 has been heavely tested by Adobe to meet the requirements - so they say...

So - all in all - I hope I made a good choice here.Hoping for Adobe to give even more advantages in near future to us that has invested in supported Nvidia cards.

/Morten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morten, I think you made a great choice. I'm thinking of buying the FX3800 to "get me by" until the next round of video cards gets validated. I strongly feel that the Quadro series is heading toward Legacy Land in the near future. As far as getting non-certified cards to work, I'm okay with it but would choose not to go down that rural road being that CS5 is in it's infancy. I think there will be enough variables (or shall I say bugs) to deal with early on without introducing more by faking out MPE by putting a non-certified video card in the picture! Come to think of it, I may not bother with MPE at all, being that I only have two 2Tb drives in a RAID 0 for media (but they are the new SATA III kind). I just hope I'll at least get faster rendering out of CS5. And even if I don't, the stability of a 64-bit app alone is worth the upgrade to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "hack" works with my GTX 260 card.  My 480 should arrive today.  Will install it and put the new card in the list.  Will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're thinking of buying the FX3800 to "get you by" ? ... darn it Felix, I wish I had the money you had to 'get me by' LOL,

that card is about $800 is it not ? ... that's a lot of money to spend, but for some, $800 is like $50, so it all depends on your situation.

I am hoping Adobe will get some newer cards working with Mercury that are a little less expensive... say $500 with 1 GB of Vram would be nice.

Dave.

FelixUnderwood wrote:

Morten, I think you made a great choice. I'm thinking of buying the FX3800 to "get me by" until the next round of video cards gets validated. I strongly feel that the Quadro series is heading toward Legacy Land in the near future. As far as getting non-certified cards to work, I'm okay with it but would choose not to go down that rural road being that CS5 is in it's infancy. I think there will be enough variables (or shall I say bugs) to deal with early on without introducing more by faking out MPE by putting a non-certified video card in the picture! Come to think of it, I may not bother with MPE at all, being that I only have two 2Tb drives in a RAID 0 for media (but they are the new SATA III kind). I just hope I'll at least get faster rendering out of CS5. And even if I don't, the stability of a 64-bit app alone is worth the upgrade to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking ebay and I'm not opposed to buying a used card, again, to "get me by!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked eBay and those cards are a min of $600 with many of them in the $800 range.

I didn't see any "used" ones though.

care to tell us what you paid for a used card ?

FelixUnderwood wrote:

I'm talking ebay and I'm not opposed to buying a used card, again, to "get me by!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morten,

You should talk with some of the other Quadro 3800 users.  I've read some posts where there is a clear distinction in performance.

How long have you had the card?  Not too long right?  Take some time to understand what the benefits are.

Can you post the specs of your system?  (memory, HD, etc...)

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at these for reference. There is little to no difference between the Quadro and GTX cards performance with CS5 that is not caused by the artificial limiter.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628441?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

I hope there will be some difference - but using the "hack" (changing one line in a text-file in PPro directory) made my GTX 260 playing back excactly as good as FX3800. I can not see any difference - where the GTX 260 had problems the FX3800 also did (4 layers fx) etc. But maybe I do not have setup the carsd right? It is latest nvidia driver etc.

I have tried to overclock my system a few weeks ago and it did not make any difference in speed at all - so I just went back to normal.

Playing back is much better in CS5 now - no doubt - I enjoy smooth playback with multiple layers AVCHD in 720 50P - scrubbing not so smooth.

Accellerated effects OK - not accellerated makes clips stutter in playback. This goes for both cards....if I remove GTX 260 in textfile I get software playback wich is awfull.

Here is my system - note I have two monitors:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 920  @ 2.67GHz  47 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology

RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz  7-7-7-20 (1033 Mhz)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EX58-UD4 (Socket 1366) (latest BIOS)

Graphics
1. SyncMaster 2494HM/2494HS/2494HSI(Digital) on NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
.2 Eizo Flexscan S2410W on NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Hard Drives (not in RADI!!!)
  1500GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (IDE) 56 °C
  1500GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (IDE) 58 °C

Optical Drives
PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-216D ATA Device

Audio
M-Audio Firewire 410

Morten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Maybe there is some difference in encoding speed? I do not know - and don´t have the time to test it...reinstalling the old card.

But I guess I will put the ols GTX 260 into my "old" (1½ year)  Qaud CPU 6700 machine and install CS5 on this as second spare PC if this one fails and do the "hack" so I have two machines running OK if needed. Actually this makes me a bit more satisfied having bought the FX3800 - because I now have two machines capable of editting AVCHD. Might be nice if something goes wrong or I need rendering a lot and then can free up the other PC for different jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard Drives (not in RADI!!!)
  1500GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (IDE) 56 °C
  1500GB Seagate ST31500341AS ATA Device (IDE) 58 °C

Your system may be bottlenecked...

Remember, you just can't add the GPU and "poof" your system will perfrom like the 16 core, 24gb memory, Quadro 4800 system the video demos.

I think you need to go Raid 0 and segment your media, scratch and system on different drives.

I'm also overclocking my i7 930 a little bit.  There is plenty of headroom there.

Your memory speed is 1033.  I've got mine at 1600 and that seems to speed things up.

Don't take my word for it though.  Visit the Hardware section of this forum.  It is eye opening.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes I know - but I have had very bad epxeriences with RAID a few years ago. But maybe it is time to go for it once more.

What would you suggest me to do? My MOBO supports RAID in different ways - do you think thats OK or do I have to buy a new RAID controller?

I do not understand fully how I should do - I have two disks allready - pretty quick and low-noise. Harm tells me they are too hot - so I might put in a fan or two (low-noise) - but could I make a backup of my entire system - setup system for RAID 0 with my two existing disks and then copy everything back - or is it better to iinstall additional disk (how many) and start allover again (haven´t got much time - having busy in my company and two small kids (4 years and 5 month) at the same time) - so time is valuable - but I just wanna know how much time I would have to spend on this so I can plan to do it at a better time in near future...But RAID 0 is quite risky - isn´t it?

I can see my MOBO supports the fowllowing (from specs of my MOBO):

South Bridge:

1. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
  2. 2x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD

You mention overclocking a bit - I have a i920 running 2.8 Ghz - I have overclcked it once to 3,3 and it was stable, but did not give much performance.

But overclocking RAM might be usefull...My BIOAS tells me it runs 1033 but SPECCY shows this:

Slot #1
Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Kingston
Max bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Part number 9905403-011.A02LF
Serial number 7EFACC96
Week/year 13 / 09
SPD Ext. EPP
  JEDEC #4
   Frequency 686 MHz
   CAS# latency 9.0
   RAS# to CAS# 10
   RAS# Precharge 10
   tRAS 25
   tRC 34
   Voltage 1.500 V
  JEDEC #3
   Frequency 610 MHz
   CAS# latency 8.0
   RAS# to CAS# 9
   RAS# Precharge 9
   tRAS 22
   tRC 31
   Voltage 1.500 V
  JEDEC #2
   Frequency 533 MHz
   CAS# latency 7.0
   RAS# to CAS# 7
   RAS# Precharge 7
   tRAS 20
   tRC 27
   Voltage 1.500 V
  JEDEC #1
   Frequency 457 MHz
   CAS# latency 6.0
   RAS# to CAS# 6
   RAS# Precharge 6
   tRAS 17
   tRC 23
   Voltage 1.500 V

the Frequency is only above 450 - But that´s not the frequency or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed my GTX 480 today and MPE works.  Did a quick single Cineform AVI video files and added about 5 or 6 accelerated effects and timeline stayed yellow with smooth playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metalsaber:

Can you post your experience here?  (See thread below)  Other unofficial card users will be interested to hear your thoughts (moving forward)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632143?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cts51911 wrote:

Metalsaber:

Can you post your experience here?  (See thread below)  Other unofficial card users will be interested to hear your thoughts (moving forward)

If you have any particular requests, let me know.  In terms of video sources, I'm limited to my 5D Mark II.

I'll do some tests again with using the Cineform AVI files and the original 5D Mark II files.  I'll try to do tests to see where the software falls flat and hopefully the MPE works.

I'll do some export times, but with the quick one I did, I did not see any increase in export times over the 260 card.  It was a quick 55sec clip test, so it might or might not be a acccurate representation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metalsaber,

Any experience is insightful...good and bad.  This is uncharted territory so anything helps.

Post here please:   (lets stop hijacking this thread )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your memory is rated at 1333 so try for that.

I went to raid0 for media and scratch  (2x drives for each).  Harms suggestion.  Cheap to do too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - but RAID0 with 4 drivesor what? And then put media on one stripe (Disk1+Disk2) and scratch (on Disk3+1Disk4) or what?

What about your OS?

I have two disks - Disk one is partiotioned in two (drive C and D) - OS is on C, programmes on D.

Disk two is only one big partition with only DATA - like videofiles etc.

I defrag often.

Are there any way I could take backup of these drives (I have a 4 TB Bufalos NAS server) and then install RAID whatever - and then restore everything again somehow or will that be a bad idea. I could restore C and D.

If I make a RAID0 with fours disks - every disk on 1,5 TB will I have:

1. 3 TB all in all?

2. Have to have exactly same disks or is it OK to keep my two existing disks and then buy two others - making stripes of those matching? What is best practice?

Morten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morten,

Have a look, and then a second and third look at your cooling. Your CPU is pretty hot idle, but your disks are way too hot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, what are good CPU temps for idle vs load.  Mine range from 32-42C idle and as high as 57C under max load, according to my utility.  Core 2 runs hotter than the rest most of the time.  So far, I have never seen the CPU on max RPM.

I cannot tell the temp of the hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These figures are OK, 35 idle and 55-60 under load are good numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want Premiere pro CS5 / Mercury Playback for your non-compatible graphics card? Here's the solution:

How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 CUDA and possibly all 200 GPUs

Step 1. Go to the Premiere CS5 installation folder.
Step 2. Find the file "GPUSniffer.exe" and run it in a command prompt (cmd.exe). You should see something like that:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device: 00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Device: 00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string: GeForce GTX 295/PCI/SSE2
Version string: 3.0.0

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 2.0
Supports shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
Found 2 devices supporting CUDA.
CUDA Device # 0 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device # 1 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because it did not match the named list of cards
Completed shader test!
Internal return value: 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look at the last line it says the CUDA device is not chosen because it's not in the named list of card. That's fine. Let's add it.

Step 3. Find the file: "cuda_supported_cards.txt" and edit it and add your card (take the name from the line: CUDA device details: Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3

So in my case the name to add is: GeForce GTX 295

Step 4. Save that file and we're almost ready.

Step 5. Go to your Nvidia Driver control panel (im using the latest 197.45) under "Manage 3D Settings", Click "Add" and browse to your Premiere CS5 install directory and select the executable file: "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe"

Step 6. In the field "multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" switch from "multiple display performance mode" to "compatibility performance mode"

Step 7. That's it. Boot Premiere and go to your project setting / general and activate CUDA

Tried it and tested, unbelievable speed comes from this little trick. Will try a GT9800 as well. Thought the people in here using CS5 could use this high performance tip.

Best,
Kaliya
kaliya is online now Add to kaliya's ReputationReport Post  Edit/Delete Message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, kdd108.

I'm very interested in your 9800 experiment.

I have several friends on mac desktops that have the 8800 equivalent card, and if the 9800 works, there's a good chance they'll be able to tweak their settings and get accelerated effects.  They're still sitting on the upgrade fence, but I'm sure that would get them off it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canuscanus wrote:

Fantastic, kdd108.

I'm very interested in your 9800 experiment.

I have several friends on mac desktops that have the 8800 equivalent card, and if the 9800 works, there's a good chance they'll be able to tweak their settings and get accelerated effects.  They're still sitting on the upgrade fence, but I'm sure that would get them off it.

many 8800 only have 512 or 640MB though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines