• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC Auto-Save Location

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking at upgrading our studio's from CS6 to CC. One of our main complaints of Premiere is that you can NOT put auto-save files in a different location from the project. Has this been addressed in CC? I would like to be able to save the project on one drive, and put the auto-save files on a different drive.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

From what I found worked for me, once you have opened and started editing a project, click:

>File

>Project Settings

>Scratch disks...

Then you see the Project Auto Save box where you can click custom and choose where to save the backups.

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 09.02.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day Aaron,

Auto Save Default Location = File > Project Settings > Scratch Disks

With Premiere Pro Creative Cloud you are able to specify an autosave location that is different than where you are saving your main project via Scratch Disk project settings.

I have attached a screenshot showing where to do this when you are setting up your scratch disks. You simply have to select "custom" from the pulldown menu for autosave, or click on browse and set up the auto-save location to a place of your choosing.

Hope that this helps!

Jasper

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 13.51.18.jpgr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s excellent. Thank you!

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems!

Just something else to be aware of... if you are saving your auto-save files to a different location than your project files (external hard drive, for example), if you happen to change the port that your hard drive connects to you MIGHT (depending on your system and circumstances) have to manually re-link the autosave folder to your Premiere Pro file.

So if you are working on a laptop, or switching around external hard drives a lot, be aware that this could happen. Not a big issue, just a little 10 second inconvenience when you open a file.

Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Cheers!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jasper,

I wonder if you (or anyone else here) knows how to *change* the auto-save location after a project has already been started? The auto-save preference does not seem to offer it after you've gone through the initial project set-up. Thanks for any help (or confirming that is it not possible).

-Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same way as stated in previous posts.

If you want to keep the old auto save you need to move them manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.. My search returns nothing on the topic but thanks for taking the time to reply. I know how to move Finder files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's pretty standard in editing to keep your project backups on a separate drive from the project itself, in case something happens to the drive. Adobe, please fix this so that it is possible to choose the backup location, even for existing projects. It doesn't make a lot of sense for the default backup to be in the same location as the project itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look in your Project Settings/scratch disk you can set your auto save to any folder you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ann! Now it seems so obvious... I'm still somewhat new to Premiere. It's odd that searching on Premiere Help didn't provide an answer. Very glad I found it here! Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Ann!

I wonder why Premiere hided it in scratch disk menu - when there is a Preferences menu and an Auto Save tab there, that's the obvious place to look for it.

Also agree with Barlo, would be very cool to have Premiere Help awake and...well, helping

This said, I enjoy working on Premiere a lot - exactly cause it's intuitive most of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can this be set and all projects respect this location?

I'm a finishing editor and I get projects from different people all day and I'm hoping I don't have to change this for every project.

I want to do the same with my render files, I don't want them to be part of the project, but on a separate render drive.

I've changed the setting but when I open a new project, it seems to fall back to project location for auto save and renders.

Are these settings user preferences or system preferences?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm having the same issue.(wanting to save Rendered video files on external Media Cache drive) .... did this get resolved for you? 

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I found worked for me, once you have opened and started editing a project, click:

>File

>Project Settings

>Scratch disks...

Then you see the Project Auto Save box where you can click custom and choose where to save the backups.

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 09.02.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

This is how the Project Settings > Scratch Disk Settings dialog box looks currently in v.22 and later.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this is a great question; did you find a way to set the autosave options as a default so you don't have to reselect them every time you start a new project? I too am dealing with this issue. Would be great to have that step out of the process.

Thanks for updating,

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

This is an older post, so the dialog box looks slightly different and is entitled "Project Settings." The steps are the same now as they were back then.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the saved locations of the Project Settings dialog have always been "sticky" ... when starting a new project, the default locations shown are the ones used for the last project I created.

They aren't "sticky" for you though?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

For info on how to change the Auto Save location in Project Settings > Scratch Disks, see the User Guide documentation: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/creating-changing-projects.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which, as provided prior, is great for a given project. The question as it stands now is how to do it globally such that it doesn't need to be set every time a project is started. It can be defaulted to some other location every time atuomatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's 'sticky' on any one computer.

In other words, if you set it on one project for X location, the next project started will also be set to X location.

But 'sticky' can be different depending on the option  you use in the Project/Production settings to set the location ... if you simply specific a file location, for example it will always be to that file folder tree.

Such as say G drive Premiere Premiere Projects folder ... the next project will be put there unless you specific differently.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just easier to start over than to try and find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no "finding" needed ... the current Autosave location is always shown in the File/Project Settings/Scratch disk dialog off that first top menu in Premiere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines