• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC Open Captions - Poor rendering (aliasing) (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm creating open captions (burned in) on a project in premiere pro CC. I am finding it hard to display text that looks nice visually as the text has very jagged edges. Are there no aliasing options like there are for titles ? The lack of options seems crazy. I tried using a blur effect to soften the text but this seems to behave a bit weirdly, there is a threshold before the blur has any effect at all and then it is too strong.

Someone suggested creating the subtitles at twice the size, and although this is a bit of an odd work around for something so basic, my captions are all done and I can no longer change the format size (the reason why this limitation is in place is beyond me)

Anyone have a good work around for making premiere captions nice and smooth (the same way any other program less than 25 years old can...)?

thanks!!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Hi, I've run into the same problem today.

Try this to see if it helps:

right click in project manager on the caption file, go to modify > interpret footage.

Under Alpha Channel, select "Conform Alpha Premultiplication" to: and check "Premultiplied Alpha"

Regards,

Aljosa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the topic of this thread, the PR 2021 caption workflow uses the graphics text engine, and burn in quality is good.

Here is the user guide:

Adobe Premiere Pro

There is a short video on that page.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get a chance to test burn-in captions quality on the 2021 New caption workflow? I just tried several burn in captions, with different font types, they were all pixelated. Any solutions Stan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My assumption has always been that once the captions were done in the regular, essential graphics, text engine, they should be the same. And that is what I am seeing. At least one user reported pixelation, but I think that was in the Program Monitor.

I just did the tests I used in the past to demonstrate the poor pre-PR 2021 caption burn in text. One test was that I could see the difference in the PR Program Monitor. I placed an essential graphics text sample on screen with a caption and changed the  scale from "fit" to 400%. In PR 2021.2.0, there is no difference.

And the other test was to export the same and zoom in. Again, no difference.

I can get some pixelation by using a smaller sequence. For example, if I use a traditional DV sequence (e.g. 720x480), I see pixelation in both samples. Increasing the horizontal size of the caption box and increasing Font Size improves this (both caption and regular text), but both show some pixelation.

One part I do not understand. In my 1920x1080 Sequence, the caption and regular text show the same Font Size in the Essential Graphics Panel. In the 720x480, the "regular" text is approximately half the Font Size as the caption text, but they appear the same. The caption appears to be scaled down even though I have applied no setting that I can see.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the quick replay. You were right about 720x480. I realized the clip I was burning caption had the same Resolution. At 400% fonts were badly pixelated especially around the edges, even after rendering.
Then I applied the same font type on to a 1080p (1920x1080) video clip from scratch. Perfect Quality!
So, I think It was the video clips low resolution causing the font pixelation on burn in captions. Problem solved, Thanks Stan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines