• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro 2018 - MP4 importing audio and not video

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to the newest premiere pro and now when I try to import MP4 files only audio files show up in the program. I have fully closed/relaunched the program, cleared my cache, and moved the footage to a new folder. However, when I import it again some files have video files and others remain just audio. It is inconsistent which ones import with or without video.

Any ideas?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dompanico,

Sorry for the issue with import.

Are you on Windows or Mac? What is the exact version number of OS? Have you updated the OS to the latest version?

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Mac OS 10.11. I cannot update right now first of all because my Mac Pro is a 4.1 

There is a complex way to do that but I am in the middle of a project and really don't want to have to alter my system in such a major way at this time.

I downgraded to Premiere version 12.0 and the problem went away...for now. But I am paying for updates that are ruining my workflow. One of the primary reasons I switched to Premiere was because it would accept any video format and codec. Why would Adobe remove this vital feature? I have a lot of archive footage that I would like to use in the future as does practically every video editor I know. This is seriously making me rethink my choice of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any solution to this serious issue other than update the OS? That is not possible on older Macs such as a Mac PRO 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  I'm on a Mac OS10.13.5 and just tried the suggestion to delete cached files from the Common folder...nada.  I only get the audio, not the video.  I'm using an mp4 file.  I also checked the codec and it was the same as the recommendation above for 264.

I am a newbie to Premiere Pro and was going nuts thinking it was just me! 

Help!! 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dompanico,

Were these legacy QuickTime wrapped files? If so, these are not supported in the current version of Premiere Pro. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to jump in here because I've been following this thread since I

have been having the same problems.

Are you telling us that Premiere/Adobe has made a decision to not

support legacy files? If so, then this would explain why I went back to

PP2017 after "upgrading" to 2018. If this is the case please let me know

so that I can start exploring other edit software options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

Are you on 10.11? If yes, update to 10.12 or later OS and the clean the Media cache.

Hope this helps.

FAQ: How to clean media cache files?

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac 10.11.16

PP 2017.1.1. Vers 11

I have cleared my media cache.

Why am I forced to to update my OS to 10.12? Shouldn't Adobe support all

versions of El Capitan? If not, I'm very disappointed and this goes

against all reasoning to switch to Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

I truly understand your concern and this has been noticed as known issues.

MAC OS comes with the drivers, internal apps and all other packages which does not allow to install any custom drivers or updates.

This OS was released 2 years back and the new OS has the updated packages. It might be the case of Interpreting the file by MAC OS and Premiere Pro. So, if you do not want to update the OS then try and install Previous version of Premiere Pro as this is the reason Previous versions are in play with CC application.

I will advise you to update the OS to avoid any other issues.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !
I also have the same problem and my OS is the newest. What can i do_?
thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As previously stated - I HAVE upgraded Mac OS and STILL have the same

issues. Not sure what is going on and not sure why Adobe can't seem to

resolve this issue. I am still using legacy software that is still

allowing me to operate but at the same time, I'm also still wondering if

Adobe PP is the right software to be using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They rolled me back (their words, not mine) and things got worse.  The support people actualymover in my squence around. the more they do the worse it gets.  I am schedule to hear from the super escalation team on Monday. Monday India or Monday my time, I am not sure.  The glitches are so bad that titles I made are lost. I didn't even fathom that could happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope to get you back on track after the weekend, BiddleR. Sorry for the issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there be a fix for this or any real support from Adobe???

Everyone on this thread would like some answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this problem has been known since May 2018. I have the same issue, running the latest PPro Software on Windows and creative Cloud. I am surprised Photoshop has not been able to fix this. Is there any way aroun this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. On 11.12 and have cleared media cache.

Still does not work with PP2018. I've reverted back to PP2017 until

Adobe can figure out this obviously ongoing problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue in Premier Pro 2018. Very frustrated. This is expensive software to continually have to use the prior version for stability. Adobe needs to get on this fix. These files work perfectly in Premier Pro 2017, but I really need the ability to have multiple projects open at the same time (only available in 2018!?!?!)

I am using .MOV files straight from a Canon T5i. Some files work, some files only show as audio. Exactly the same file types, same extension, generated by the same camera. Some import video properly, some only show as audio. I have edited these same files in 2017 version with no problems. This is a bug in 2018 that needs to be addressed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. I am using a brand new MacBook Pro purchased three days ago, current OS and Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 although I had the same problem on my older MacBook Pro.

The files I import are straight off a DJI camera (Osmo Plus) where the options are only .mov or .MP4 (upper case) and Premiere is having problems with both, randomly importing files without video.

Currently I have to import my videos into Premiere CS6 and then export the file as an .mp4 (lower case) so it can be used in CC2018, this is very time consuming. Note, Premiere is ok with .mp4 (lower case) exported from CS6 but not the .MP4 (upper case) files straight from the DJI camera. I am no computing expert and am not familiar with why the upper/lower case files are different. The one thing I vaguely recall is everything was ok until after a Premiere Pro CC update, possibly from 2017 to 2018.

Please do not suggest I roll back to 2017 as I am paying good money for CC 2018 and that would be like saying "here take a 2017 model car without the new bells and whistles for the price of a 2018".

I and others are paying good money to have what is effectively a faulty product and that does not make sense and will not for much longer.

Obviously this is a common problem and Adobe need to address and fix it....fast, either that or FINAL CUT PRO may become a better option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not sure that updating the OS would work. For some like me with a Mac Pro 4.1, updating the OS is not an option without some Mac firmware hacking. The files I am having problems with are also MP4 files from a Sony A6500 camera. (maybe a 2 yr old camera). But also having problems with mp4 encodes from a screen capture software. Is it a file support issue of Premiere or is it an OS compatibility issue? Either way it not good and also makes me think about other edit software options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this is also an option - yesterday i've converted my videos on mac book pro. When you press the right click, on the bottom of list there is a task: "encode selected video files", you can encode them in ProRes or H.264 AAC.
I'm not sure, if it is a good option for everybody, but in my case it works, but also needs time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem here. I had this after upgrading to Ppro 2018, but it was no more issue after another upgrade.

But now, it happened during editing. One moment I can see and play the file in Ppro, the next half of the files are only displayed as audio.

I tried emptying the media cache, restarting the programma, restarting the computer. Even had professional support look at it.

I'm stuck here.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped:

I replaced the original videos I wanted to use to a new folder.

I'm saved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. Maybe eliminating layers of folders to where the files are located makes the difference. Re-encoding is not a good option for large projects in progress. Wonder if anyone has tried changing the file suffix from MP4 to mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it changes back to MP4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines