• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2019 randomly using all system RAM and crashing?_09 (WIN)

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this suddenly.  I was on version 13.1. It has been running really really well for me with all sorts of projects.  Mostly 4k video on 1080 timelines. This past sunday I rendered 36 videos.  All easy stuff 1080 and low bit rate.  But, they were 5-10min each.  Computer did this like a champion.  Come tuesday it was time to do some real editing.  I have a regular client that we film skits with and generally use a multicam sequence to edit.  Right off bat memory railed to 99% and system froze. I tried all the normal things.  Restart, hard restart, tried diff sequence, new project.  All same result.  Great playback for a little bit then 99% and locking up system.  My first instinct was update.  So I updated PP, and GPU, then finally tried win 10. Still same exact result.  Spent about 2 hrs with Adobe tech support today.  They were awesome.  Tons of trouble shooting and driving my computer remotely.  Then did the chat routine with Microsoft tonight.  They were actually pretty cool for once.  Deleted temp files. Checked virtual memory and startup stuff.  I ran malware bytes, and Eset virus.  Nothing.  I am just stuck now.  I can't work.  I have deadlines I have missed.  I just don't get it.  I think as creative professionals we need to band together and put a class action lawsuit together against Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, Samsung, Google and every other company that has these sneak updates that pretty much ruin your life.  It is a waste of time and money and causes massive stress.  There really needs to be an option that says "no thank you" to updates.  Once a system is stable it really can blindside people to change anything.  It makes me want to unplug my workstation from the wall.  Oh wait, I can't, Adobe likes a hand in my computer to function.   I really hope there is a fix to this soon. 

System is pretty significant.

Amd TR 1950x overclocked to 4ghz

32gb ram

1080 Ti

M.2 SSDs

I think close to 30TB of spinning drives

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what codec is your media? any dynamically linked elements or mismatched fonts? It appears that a rogue file triggers this RAM spike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H264  4k 24p files from Sony a9 A7riii and Panasonic GH5. I use these daily without issue until other day. This is a clean project with no effects at all no text no links.  Initially I was using a multicam. And the way premiere interpreted this batch was weird  it made 25 views?  From 3 cameras. So I thought this was issue.  Last night I stayed up till 3am and basically manually stacked together my 3 views.  This helped but I would intermittently get the spike. And session ended with the foggy white screen of doom and crashed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it makes very little sense but I would begin to troubleshoot by transcoding all of your GH5 files to Pro Res or DNxHD to see if it will make the project stable. There's been issues with GH5. And if that doesn't work, I'd then transcode the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is I use the GH5 all the time with no issue.  I think issue might be with the 10bit files and that was supposed to be fixed long ago.  Mine are just 8bit 24p files.

Anyone else see a red frame in a clip?  I have a few popping up like they are in the clip?  Maybe it is a wonky file? Could be related or just a fluke? 

I am in the middle of a crash and burn right now working on the same damn timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Oh, I see. You have that 10 bit H.264 variant with the GH5. What happens if you transcode? The other issue I see that you have overclocked AMD procs. That also may be at the heart of the issue. I'll see if I can test your footage on our AMD rig.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the 10 bit.  I only shoot 8.  I use the GH5 for 4k 60p. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can make a dropbox copy of one of the problem child projects.  Still no idea why overclock would impact. In theory it only helps, in the past this processor crushes projects.  And I mean past like a week ago.  It is pretty dead stable.  I rarely have crashes or heat problems.  Overall this computer has been my best, most trouble free system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my thought is this.  I was happily using 2019 until last week.  Whatever secret Win10 update happened last week is most likely the problem.   That is all I can think of.  Another project I use all the time giving me problems with footage I have worked with a lot within the project.  Another observation is my whole interface is sort of laggy.  So clicking between modules, sliders and all of that seem to be delayed.  And this is when all is working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I had an interesting call with Adobe Tech support on this issue this afternoon.  The guy turned off half of my logical processors in windows.  So with threadripper that is 32.  He manually put to 16.  This forced processor to use 8 cores.  PP ran pretty good until it didn't.  Tried to import a song and it just froze.  No memory spike just locked up.  So I manually forced PP to close from task bar.  I went back to MSCONFIG and tried to turn back on my cores.  No dice.  They did not show.  So with my best guess I unchecked the box by this option thinking windows would figure it out.  I rebooted and got blue screen after blue screen..  My best guess was no processors activated now.  THIS IS SWEET!!! I had to re install windows.  Now I am going through and trying to get my computer up and running again.  This is going to be a nightmare.  I unplugged all my drives before I did this, hopefully data is ok.  I love that they had me do this without telling me how to unwind it.  Anyway another day lost to this issue. 

From what tech guy said is PP will only use up to 11 cores.  This is an odd number? Are there even any 11 core processors?  But as far as I could tell it would always fairly evenly put the 16 to work.  Maybe something to this?  But guessing not.  Maybe fresh win10 install will help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines