• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 Image size issue

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I transfer an image from a Bin onto the Timeline, only about 75% of the image is visable. I have tried to see if the missing part is off screen, but the placing from the Bin onto the Timeline appears to cut 25% of the image. How do I see the whole image on the Timeline?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

That's good now. That's what I was trying to get to. So, add your photo now to this timeline. Then you can adust the Scale setting in the Effect Control Panel. And have black bars left or right / top or bottom. Or you can scale the image so it fits into the frame fully, but you'll be cropping sides or top/bottom.

It's the way it works when you have different aspect ratios. People deal with this all the time, it's part of being an editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right-clicking the clip in the timeline and select 'Set to Frame size'. You may have an aspect ratio problem also and/or a problem with the sequence size and the clip / photo size. Check the sequence properties and the image size / properties and let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks MyerPj for your thoughts. I was able to do the first part you suggested 'Try right-clicking the clip in the timeline and select 'Set to Frame size" but this made no difference to the missing outer edge parts of the image. I tried searching for "an aspect ratio problem also and/or a problem with the sequence size and the clip / photo size. Check the sequence properties and the image size / properties" but I was unable to locate the parts you mentioned. My apology for asking for further assistance. The image area size is altered/reduced when I transfer the image from the Bin where the full image is shown, to the Timeline where the outer edges have been trimmed/eliminated.

Malcolm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Past MyerPJ, also check your Preferences. There's a sizing option there ... whether you have scaling pref set to None, Set tor framesize, or scale to framesize. You do NOT want Scale-to, but for many, using Set-to framesze as a pref works fine.

And might take care of this for new media added to the project. But remember changing Prefs only affects new media added, not current media on a sequence. For that, MeyerPJ's comment rules.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Neil for your thoughts. I did a search for 'Preferences' as suggested but unfortunately I couldn't find 'Prefences' (I'm using Premiere Pro 2020) despite a lengthy search. Can you offer any thought please?

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit/Preferences  ... a main menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for this advice which I followed, but am unable to find the 'sizing option' you mention.

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many preferences users need to be aware of, and set for their needs. Something tgatvdies require some time and thought.

Edit/Media, "Default media scaling".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. 

First, with your problem project loaded, send us a screenshot, of 'Sequence Settings" from the Sequence menu up top.

Then: Start a brand new project. Import you image, drop it on an empty timeline.

Send a screenshot of your Sequence Settings now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MyerPJ,

I will attach two images, MalcolmPremProImage1 and MalcolmPremProImage2 with the second after starting a new project. The image in the new project appears to have all the image now on the Timeline.

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks. So, the original timeline / sequence is DV size 720h 576v (1.4587), and pixel size is not square. 

Your sequence setting in the original is not correct. What are you trying to do? HD, 1920x1080, typical type thing?

So, I suggest you create a new sequence 1920x1080, and then select all the clips in the bad timeline and copy them in the new one. If that is workable, great. You'll definitly need to work on the clips "size" when you do that. Otherwise, if you've just started. Create a HD sequence and start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: the picture will not fit into a standard HD1920x1080 sequence, you'll likely that side bars or you'll have to crop when you raise the size property. It can't be helped, unless you want to make your entire project the size / aspect ratio of the picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malcolm,

Thanks for being so persistent in responding to the requests for information and screenshots. Premiere Pro has a steep learning curve.

It is very important that you answer MyerPJ's question: "What are you trying to do? HD, 1920x1080, typical type thing?"

I don't think we know whether you are intending to make a 1920x1080 movie or your original sequence size (SD) etc. Are you using video or only stills?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

I agree that I have much to learn re Premiere Pro. I'm using both still and video images from both an Apple IPhone and a Nikon D7500 Camera.

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malcolm,

It would help to know more about the video file. Before, MyerPj had you do this for the still image by dragging it to the empty timeline. Since you now have a sequence in the timeline, create a sequence matching the video file by dragging it to the "new" icon in the Project Panel. (Screenshot below.) Then post a screenshot of the sequence settings.

 

Be aware that phone footage is often variable frame rate (VFR). This may cause other issues, but they can be addressed later.

Stan

New Icon PR2022.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Many thanks for your advice. I will attach the Sequence Settings for the video file created as advised. I'm wondering if I'm trying to do the 'impossible' by combining still and video images from both the IPhone and Nikon camera on the one Timeline? To put the video file on the Timeline I think I need the 16:9 ratio and not 4:3 that appears to be the default setting.

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good now. That's what I was trying to get to. So, add your photo now to this timeline. Then you can adust the Scale setting in the Effect Control Panel. And have black bars left or right / top or bottom. Or you can scale the image so it fits into the frame fully, but you'll be cropping sides or top/bottom.

It's the way it works when you have different aspect ratios. People deal with this all the time, it's part of being an editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks MyerPj & Stan for your assistance. The images now appear to fit the frame much better. I appreciate very much your patience and support.

Best wishes for 2023,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Malcolm,

> I'm wondering if I'm trying to do the 'impossible' by combining still and video images from both the IPhone and Nikon camera on the one Timeline?

Not at all. The most common way to edit with video and stills is to create a sequence with the video and then add still images. And yes, it is also common for those stills to have many more pixels and to be a different aspect ratio than the video.

How you deal with the stills is an artistic decision as much as a technical one. For example, I prefer not having black bars, so I add the still to a higher video track in the timeline, then select it, go to Effect Controls, and change the scale and position to select and display the content/framing I want.

For example, I am shooting 5,184x3,888 4:3 ratio on my camera. When I put this still on a 1920x1080 timeline, it is very zoomed in. If I change the Scale in the Effect Controls -> Video section to 28%, I can see the whole image. Top to bottom it fills the screen, but left to right it does not. If I scale it to 38%, I still see all of it left to right, but top to bottom is cropped. Or scale it to 75%, but click on the word "Position" in the Effect Controls, and now drag the image in the Program Monitor. There are many, many options to be creative.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines