Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 22 freezes - but only on specific project

Participant ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 22.2 on Mac OS Monterey 12.3

I'm having an issue with Premiere Pro freezing, but only on one specific project.   Every time I get more than a couple minutes into the edit everything just freezes.  I can't even force quit because the cursor won't move, and Cmd-Opt-Esc doesn't respond.  I cleared cache and had the same issue even after that.  I have to do a hard restart in order to get out of it.

Earlier today I worked on a different project of equal size and complexity with no issues at all.  I was only when I opened this particular project that the problem started. And this appears to be a new development - when I worked on this same project last week there were no issues.  Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Update - problem solved!

I ended up reimporting all the original media and doing a transcode on ingest to ProRes 422.   I don't know how the original files were encoded, but when I brought in the transcoded media, everything worked fine and the edits went lightning quick.  Thanks for your assistance on the troubleshooting - I've definitely learned a few things to look for the next time something like this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Footage storage location
  • Storage location available space
  • System/hardware changes
  • Installed software changes
  • Workspace issues
  • Preference issues

All are possible contributing factors.

I would try creating a new project and then importing the old one into it as a start to troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

However, the footage is stored on the same external drive as other projects which don't freeze, and there's plenty of available space - it's an 8TB drive that's not even half full.  And wouldn't any system/hardware/software changes affect all projects on my machine (also there haven't been any recent updates)? 
I have a custom workspace setup that I'ved use for all projects with no problems.   Add to that, this project was working fine until this week.

There's literally no difference between this and any other project I run on this machine except that this one randomly freezes. Is it possible that something external is causing this, for example some specific piece of footage or file I imported is corrupted, and if so how could I determine what it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@spinachworld wrote:

And wouldn't any system/hardware/software changes affect all projects on my machine (also there haven't been any recent updates)? 

Is it possible that something external is causing this, for example some specific piece of footage or file I imported is corrupted, and if so how could I determine what it is?

The answer to the first question may lie in your second question. For example, if I have something dynamically linked to an After Effects composition in one project, but not in others, and I have installed software that conflicts with that link, then a software change on my system would only affect that one project. But tracking something like that down is hard unless the change was recent and I could remember what I did.

A footage or file corruption is easier, but not easy (if that makes sense). In some cases the project file is corrupt in a subtle way that only manifests when certain conditions are met.

I do recommend that you try creating a brand-new project and then importing the problem project into it. That should eliminate a corrupt project file in most cases.

Since you've already cleared your cache (hopefully by deleting *all* media cache files and not just those "not in use"), you should try resetting your workspace or switching to a default workspace and resetting that.

If that doesn't work, then try resetting your preferences:

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere ... - Adobe Support Community - 8236158

If none of those things work, then you're down to troubleshooting by pondering what is different in this project (no matter how small or insignificant) and what is different about the media in this project. The free tool MediaInfo can help with that.

Let us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the following:

-Clearing full cache
-Trashing preferences

-Resetting the workspace

-Creating a new project and importing the footage into it

-Reverting to 2021 version, creating a new project there and importing the footage into it

-Multiple versions of timeline settings, both stock and customized, with different video and audio settings.

In every case, I get a couple minutes into the edit, and the entire system freezes.  I'm unable to force quit because neither the cursor or the Cmd-Option-Esc keystrokes work.  If I don't do a hard restart at that point, within a minute or two the computer restarts itself and when I reopen it I get the "Send a report to Apple" box.

There is nothing dynamically linked to AE or any other software. This is a very simple project that involves inserting new commercials into a classic TV show.  I'm simply scrolling through the show, finding the natural scene breaks where the commercial blacks are, and inserting a new commercial into those spots, then outputting. 

I've done the same thing previously with no issues.   It's not a question of whether the new commercials' format might be incompatible with the old TV show, because it hasn't even let me get as far as putting them into the timeline.  It freezes when I'm scrolling through looking for the breaks, and before I even make an edit.

This is a 10-core iMac Pro with 64GB memory and the media for this project is on an 8TB external drive with plenty of space.  I'm running Monterey 12.3 and have had no issues up to this point with any projects besides this one.  Yesterday I was working on a different project that's way more graphics-intensive and 4K, and the system performed flawlessly.

The media is supplied to me by my client and previously there have been no issues but maybe this batch needs transcoding?  I can't think of anything else to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update - problem solved!

I ended up reimporting all the original media and doing a transcode on ingest to ProRes 422.   I don't know how the original files were encoded, but when I brought in the transcoded media, everything worked fine and the edits went lightning quick.  Thanks for your assistance on the troubleshooting - I've definitely learned a few things to look for the next time something like this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the suggestion by Jeff Bellune :

I do recommend that you try creating a brand-new project and then importing the problem project into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply to Jeff above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines