• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro deleted the original file after replacing the file and cancelling the export

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I accidently replaced a video while exporting in adobe premiere pro and when i cancelled the export, it permanently deleted the original video! All my hard work is gone! How to get the deleted file back?

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the video, or the sequence? Sequences in Premiere don't 'exist' on disc, just as metadata within that project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the sequence, when I exported it then Premiere Pro allowed me to replace the original video but when I cancelled the video it overitted it and permanently deleted the original video and now it shows up as offline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get the original video back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not actually the "sequence" either.

You say "when i cancelled the export, ...." Did you cancel the export after clicking "export" and it started exporting? Or before doing that? I cannot replicate what you describe.

I think this is what you are describing:

Video file is "MyVideo.mp4". I import it to PR. I drag it to the new icon and create a sequence, which by default is called "MyVideo".

If I export that sequence to THE SAME directory that I imported the file from, it prompts me, asking if I want to overwrite the file. I say "yes."

You export the file. You cancel the export (not sure at what step). The original video file is gone?

I tried this, but it was not possible. When I actually export it, I get an error message that I do not have permission to overwrite the file - I assume this is because the file is in use in PR. I could not get to a step where I could cancel the export.

Does PR tell you the original file is missing?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the video appeared in quick access and when I clicked it, it says that it's missing. Even in premiere pro it says that the video is offline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a way around this? the same happens to me except it never asks me if I want to overwrite, it only gives me an error stating that I can't export because I'd be overwriting the file but it overwrites it anyways. On top of that, it will export a corrupt video because the source video is deleted and there's no where to get data from. I've been trying to find a default setting to add a suffix to the exported file so that this conflict doesn't happen anymore but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im so glad someone has the same problem but its been so long ive tried everything i even tried getting file savers and nothing has worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines