• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro doesn't allow effects on subtitle layer

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add effects to my subtitles such as a zoom in when it appears or shakiness when the text is in frame, but when I try to add any effects to the subtitle layer, it won't let me. There's no effects window for the subtitle layer, either. I'm very confused by this. It seems it should be simple to add these effects, and I'm not sure why I can't. At the very least I feel that I should be able to convert the subtitles to regular text so I can edit it that way, but there is no way to do that-- I've tried exporting as a .SRT and re-importing but it puts it on the subtitle layer. Any workarounds you've found? I want to put animations on my text without having to manually type out the whole video.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of subtitles, use an Essential Graphic text layer. Subtitles are traditionally text-only and are not meant to have effects applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right but then I will have to manually type out all of my captions. For a 10 minute video, that doesn't work. Is there any way to convert subtitles into an essential graphic layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of workarounds:

• If you're on Windows, you can use a tool like SubtitleEdit to import an SRT file of your captions and export them to XML, which will import as Essential Graphics. There may be a MacOS solution as well but I don't know one off-hand. 
  • You can also export your captions and open the SRT in a text editor, then copy+paste the text into Essential Graphics. 

I would also make a feature request to allow for doing this within Premiere natively; any others have asked for this too. 

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request. The new capton workflow changed captions to be non-video items, and no longer subject to effect controls.

See this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-workaround-nesting-to-apply-effect-controls-to-capti...

This post, in that thread, gives links to two requests related to opacity:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-workaround-nesting-to-apply-effect-contr...

There are also posts that discuss converters to make PR captions into xml that can be imported as essential graphics text.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this video, I'll show you How to Add Effects and Transitions to Your Subtitles in Adobe Premiere Pro 23.1 and Beyond Watch More Premiere Pro Tutorials 👉 How to Export Only Captions or Subtitles From Premiere Pro as SRT Subtitle or Text File https://youtu.be/oCa__eGEapY 👉 How to Change the ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This YouTube tutorial uses the "Upgrade Caption to Graphic" feature and adds effects to that. Introduced in the Dec 2022 release (as noted, version 23.1).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines