• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro freezes when i try to import files in certain projects

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this started happening a few days ago.

When i try to import files via double click on the project media panel or via file>import  premiere pro freezes, to be specific it keeps "loading" ,the cursor has the circle of loading, but it never loads the explorer to search the files and i have to shut premiere down via the task manager . It works if i grab the files in the folder and  drag them to the project media in premiere.

The thing is that it only happens with certain projects (new or old). I tried reinstalling premiere but it keeps happening.

Any ideas? its really bothersome because i end up double cliking like i always did and the program keeps freezing.

Thanx in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this behavior. I have found a difference between saving your work before hitting the import function. Perhaps that helps a little bit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried experimenting with saving but it doesn't change the problem in any way to me.

I'll keep trying different things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using the Media Browser for all Import duties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me to use media browser. Tried all forms of importing.  Using both Premiere Pro 2018 and 2019.  Cleared caches, tried new projects. All forms of importing a folder of videos crashes my premiere pro. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Take a look at the link below.  Use it as a guide to post up some details.  Maybe we can get you working again.

How To Ask For Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue before too. Resetting preferences has worked for me in the past!

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere Pro?

That link will give you the rundown on all the customizations that will or won't be saved in the reset.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2021 and I have the same problem as topicstarter. 

Reseting preferences doesn't help. 😞

Premiere 2021, Macbook Air, M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, on a PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here!! and my fellow producer on a different machine has the same problem. autosave on almost every few minutes now. getting huge autosave folders by the end of this project. dammmn how is this still an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and even if you wait it out for up to a half hour on my end 😞 the nle acts super stupid and slow. you are forced to restart everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does not work (years later same issue. adobe come on!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@salientfilm_1 wrote:

does not work (years later same issue. adobe come on!)

It works OK for me.

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these suggested fixes work on my end. I am trying to import 200+ GB of footage, but when I split it into ~10GB chunks it loads instantly. If any individual file in the import is larger than 1GB, the import gets stuck and won't finish even if I wait 30 minutes.

Don't understand how premier pro is "pro" if it can't even import large files reliably and has this issue for years. Does anyone have further fixes to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know when I'm having an issue which most people aren't it's tough to find the root. But most of us are not having that problem. I just dump 152GB into a new project, and it took about a second to load them all up. 

You're going to have to look around your system. Disk space, other processes interfering with things; that's a big one. So, see which programs are loaded, remove them from running. Etc.

Win or Mac, system specs, versions, etc... might give us something to go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and Premiere PRO created a 5hr and 30min sequence ready to edit, with the import above! 

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it and it works as expected.

PP: 15.2

Win: 20H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can no longer drag .mp4 files from file explorer window into import pane of PP without PP hanging indefinitely.  Using task manager to close it.

I can use media browser to import files, so at least productivity can continue.

PP: 15:4:1  build(6)
Win: 20H1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pea Plum,

Is it happening with a particular MP4 or is it the particular location that's creating the issue? Have you tried resetting the preferences of Premiere Pro? If it doesn't help, try changing the permissions. Here's how: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html 

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not happening with one particular .mp4 or a specific folder/location.  It failed at each file and folder and drive.

The issue went away the next day, so I did not get to test the recommendations.  I wish I had useful information to share about cause and remedy for others facing a similar issue.  What I can share is that multiple restarts did not resolve, but apparently a full shut down changed something.

I've bookmarked the link to the preferences permissions in case the issue repeats.

Thank you Nishu for your quick response link to a likely fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely having this same issue, and this post is 6 years old.  When I try to import additional media into a project, sometimes it works, and sometimes it just stalls forever.  Nothing "Pro" about this, its ridiculous.  I have to remember to save my work before I try to import any media, because more often than not, it's going to stall and I'll have to reboot and lose everything not saved.  So frustrating that Adobe can't create software that just works as it should in 2023. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue, but then realised it was only happening in one project. Made a copy with Save As and imported the clip instantly.

(Side note – it's wild how many people are on here defending Adobe and saying this is down to the user's own settings, hardware etc., when it's very clear to most regular users that the software is riddled with bugs like this one.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its garbage. Happens to be on 3 minute videos with tiny files.  If i go to import 40 second b-roll.  I am literally using $12/m Capcut now and its kicking Adobe's but.. Im not making movies but commericals and its much better suited to this. I can't belive a free piece of software is better than Premier Pro now and never ever crashes on me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines