Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro input lag / latency in custom workspaces

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I have a problem that's been driving me nuts. Whenever I use a custom workspace, Premiere develops a huge lag, a 1-2 second delay between any mouse click and the action registering in the program (specifically the timeline). Keyboard delay is a little better, but it's still there.

The thing that's super frustrating is this only happens in custom workspaces. The lag disappears in the default "editing" workspace. I edit with two monitors, so I tend to use a workspace I've set up for that. Resetting the workspace doesn't help, the lag persists. If I delete the workspace and re-create it, I'll have no problems for 2 or 3 days, but then the lag returns. This is dumb. How do I fix this?

Windows 10 1803

Intel i9-9900k 8 core

64GB RAM

NVIDIA 980 Ti

Premiere is installed and running off an Intel NVME SSD.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

I don't, I have two separate windows, one on each screen.

I actually just solved this, and it is dumb. It actually has nothing to do with multiple monitors. I want to stress this has been driving me nuts for about 4 months, and it's ridiculous that this is an issue. I rebuilt my 2-window workspace bit by bit testing each step of the way, and I found out what's happening.

It's the Essential Graphics panel.

One of the things my 2-monitor setup includes is adding the Essential Graphics panel to the la

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on the mac, but do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card? 

I use 2 monitors, and send my video out to the second monitor using the playback preferences rather than using a custom workspace for that. 

You might also try switching the connections to the 2 monitors.   Also wondering if there's an issue with the resolution settings for the 2nd monitor.   Might try changing this and see if it makes a difference.  I'd start with lowering the resolution of the second monitor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the most recent drivers, and switching the cables didn't do anything. Both monitors are the same resolution, and running at their native resolutions. All I'm moving to the second monitor is project, media browser, effects, essential graphics, and history.

If I'm in the default editing workspace it doesn't matter what monitor I move Premiere to, it works fine, but as soon as I switch back to a workspace that spans the monitors it gets laggy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any windows that actually spread across both monitors?  That might be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't, I have two separate windows, one on each screen.

I actually just solved this, and it is dumb. It actually has nothing to do with multiple monitors. I want to stress this has been driving me nuts for about 4 months, and it's ridiculous that this is an issue. I rebuilt my 2-window workspace bit by bit testing each step of the way, and I found out what's happening.

It's the Essential Graphics panel.

One of the things my 2-monitor setup includes is adding the Essential Graphics panel to the layout, and giving it its own section. If the Essential Graphics panel is visible, AND it's switched to the "browse" tab, it slows everything to a crawl. If I switch it to "Edit" everything runs fine. The issue is that panel seems to really like to default to "browse" whenever I open the program. I just swapped Essential Graphics from having it's own space to being a tab with Effects, with Effects open over Essential Graphics by default. Now it works fine.

TL:DR having the "browse" tab of Essential Graphics open in a custom workspace was causing huge slowdowns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has been a while since it was posted, but I've had this issue for a while and this is always the first thread that pops up when I search for it. For me, it turns out it was an issue with Windows. Disabling Palm Check in the mouse settings wasn't sufficient, but changing the AAPThreshold setting in the registry from 2 to 0 did the trick, as described here on superuser. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I'm sorry you had this issue, but from someone who has been super frustrated by it recently, this solved it for me as well. Appreciate your work fixing it for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM OH MY GOD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jp80298018 and @cschodt48, sorry to hear you are having this trouble. I was not able to reproduce this on my Win machine. So are you saying that the Essential Graphics Panel, no matter whether using a dual monitor setup or single, slows down the UI as long as it it is visible? What version of Premiere Pro are you using? Does this happen specifically after you open a project (at this time the mogrts get loaded in the Essential Graphics Panel) or is this also an issue later into the edit? Do you have a lot of mogrts in the Essential Graphics Panel, especially in libraries or hooked to a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! Thanks for replying - I only have one or two graphics presets, I
barely use the panel at all. I'm on an iMac Pro but another iMac Pro hooked
to the same QNAP doesn't reproduce the issue. Two out of four IMac pros on
the network do, however. No issues with Mac Pro

--
John Pouliot
(978)-869-9135

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now this is getting really interesting, isn't it? What is the difference between those iMac Pros? Do they have different configurations? Which version of Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just popping in to say that this fix worked for me on the Windows 10 version of Adobde Premiere Pro v13.1.5 with my three-screen workspace. Thank you so much for going through each and every panel to figure this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
unfortunately all the fixes doesn't work on my machine. I found that the lag (for example when I use the space-key to start and stop the timeline there are lags between 2 and 10 seconds) occures after I have nested the tracks for cutting. The timeline control works exact without any lag when I do not nest the tracks. Not a solution but maybe a workaround for other frustrated users.

Best regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five (FIVE) years later and this issue is still alive and well. Thanks, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild... Comes and goes for me, totally unusable software with that much delay on space bar pause/play input.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah it started happening out of the blue for me after a couple years on this system. Dual-monitor setup with custom workspace. In my case it's something to to do with Audio Track Mixer panel , and only starts happening once that panel is moved over to the 2nd Display. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines