Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro not using AMD gpu

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm unable to use AMD gpu in premier pro, though I have selected OpenCL and hardware encoding yet the video playback(at 1/8 for 1080p) lags like hell and exporting also takes lot of time, when I check in the task manager the gpu utilization is at 0% and max at 1%.

Does anyone know how to fix the issue.

Thank you

Details:-

Premiere Pro V14 (2020)

Pc- Ideapad 50015ISK

OS-Windows11 21H2

Ram-16gb

Storage- SSD 500gb

Processor- Intel i7 6th gen

GPU-AMD R7 M360 4gb

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it lag in this basic test: New project > New sequence from clip..  > (no effects) + full resolution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it lags a lot, though i see an option GPU Accleration(OpenCL) on creating new project but nothing works, I have attatched a clip kindly have a look at it.

Screenshot 2022-02-01 180443.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QJBhxG6aqmmIa70WSgC4VhDyXGfjBC-j/view?usp=sharing

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try these simple steps for starter:

1) Manually clear media cache - close Adobe PP/AE/ME, go to cache location and clean/delete folders: Media Cache, Media Cache Files, PTX, Peak Files

2) Turn off hardware accelerated Decoding in Preferences > Media...  (do app restart)

3) try Preferences > Audio Hardware > Default Input => select "No Input"

4) Reset workspace: Window > Workspaces > Reset to saved layout (or just switch to different one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For basic playback, the GPU is only used IF you have GPU accelerated effects involved, like Lumetri, Warp stabiizer, that sort of thing. Or if there's major resizing going on.

So ... are there any effects on that which would cause Premiere to USE the GPU?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having AMD gpu  AMD RADEON RX 6650M ( 8gB )
Whenever i render in AFTER EFFECT or premiere pro or media encoder, only 2-3% gpu is used and cpu usage goes to 90-95%
i tried everything setting cop to gpu but nothing happen, also while play games my gpu give very super performance and GPU usage goes to 70% but not during rendering WHY WHY WHY???

But a same project if render on my friend nvidea card ( 4gb ) , its take it gpu usage to 40-60 percent during rendering, So why adobe is not using my GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't use the GPU as simply another CPU type hardware tool. They are very different things, different math processes, different functions.

GPU use in exports is dependent on several things ... first, that you have GPU Accelerated effects in use, if to a long-GOP mp4 codec that your GPU has the needed hardware bits on it, and in general what's going on in that export.

If you are using H.264/5 codecs, that's maybe it. Only some of the most recent AMD GPUs have encoding hardware for the long-GOP formats. More of the Nvidia ones do.

So if you give adequate information as to the CPU, the media of the sequence, the effects used, and the export codec ... then there's a couple real experts on such things around here that can give precise information in your situation.

Such as @RjL190365  ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a same project on a same after effect version , My friend puts render on
Nvidea card and gpu usage is around 50%, while On mine amd card its 1-2%

Now tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without information? I'm not nearly as omniscient and you seem to expect. There are a ton of factors that do affect hardware usage on different computers. That information matters as it's those detailed differences that are the reason for different performances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You fool, its to just tell you that the gpu comes to use when we talk about render, because earlier you say its nothing to do with gpu, that why I am telling you that at a same project usage of  GPU is 60-70%( Nvidea GT 720 GPU with i5 CPU),  while usage of gpu is 1-2% on ( AMD Radeon RX 6650M with AMD Ryzen 7 CPU).

You first telling about codec then something else,
I want to tell you everything is same, same codec same project file, same after effect version,
Its just lower end GPU and CPU is performing 50% better than my high end GPU as my GPU usage is not going above than 1-2% and taking 2 times more time in rendering.

Now give me solution, and dont tell anything like a fool, just give me exact solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You do realize I'm another user, right?

Calling people names who volunteer their time to help you  ... seems far more the fool to me.

Fix it yourself bucko.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For audio input you might want to select none. Even using ASIO4ALL drivers might help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines