Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro won't import XML files

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need to put English subtitles on a german video which is over an hour, I've been given an XML by a professional subtitling company (who we've worked with in the past and they're XMLs could always be imported by Premiere before), but Premiere will not import it into the project! I've tried importing it in all the ways I know how (File>Import, dragging and dropping and through the Media Browser), but nothing seems to work. The strange thing is I'm not getting any error window, when I try to import it, Premiere acts like it normally does with the Import Window popping up, but when it's finished there's nothing in my project! Can anyone please advise me on this issue?? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it something to do with the most recent Premiere update? Do I need to update my OS?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm currently using

macOS Sierra 10.12.4

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Zeon E5

Premiere CC is the latest version: 12.0.1

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

There is a bug in Premiere 12.0.1 with the "Allow Duplicate Media during project import" check box in Preferences>Media.  If you have it checked it thinks that its duplicate media and will not import the media for both AAFs and XMLs.  I've found that if you toggle it off, it will import your AAF.

Rollback to Premiere 12.0.0 if you want this to work correctly. 

I reported the bug to Adobe a few months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this might be a bug.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proudfoot,

Sorry for this. Can you show us an typical entry in the XML file? That might be helpful in troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the XML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need to upload it somewhere, Proudfoot.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proudfoot?

Here is a dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj6jne3i9urke32/Valurso_2.20180308171445.xml?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck finding a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lunarwkshp,

I was able to import this XML without issue. Can you contact support? Here you go: FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Adobe really needs to get this fixed. I have already talked to 8-10 videographers who have switched to Final Cut right now. You really need to get this bug figured out now otherwise you are going to lose a lot of customers. UPDATE NEEDED NOW, PEOPLES BUSINESSES DEPEND ON THIS.

Bo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, everyone is having this issue. Please help. Can't get anything done, glad I'm paying $60 a month for this to not work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try the new version and see if it works?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Kevin. It's not working in the new version neither. My renovation is in two weeks. If this is not fixed by then i'm going to cancel the subscription and migrate to FCPX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe, any chance you're going to add support for .fcpxml any time soon and not just .xml?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I can't import an XML being output by PluralEyes. Going to have to roll back software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this same issue for a few weeks now attempting to import any XML file created by PluralEyes 3.5!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix... I switched to FCPX. Once adobe gets their shot together maybe I’ll switch back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in a tv station. We have the same problem in one of our edition stations. I try to import a xml FCP file into the project but it doesn't happen anything. It works in the the rest of stations. This file is provided by a web browser app from VSN enterprise. Please, we need to fix this... it's generating us very much trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in Premiere 12.0.1 with the "Allow Duplicate Media during project import" check box in Preferences>Media.  If you have it checked it thinks that its duplicate media and will not import the media for both AAFs and XMLs.  I've found that if you toggle it off, it will import your AAF.

Rollback to Premiere 12.0.0 if you want this to work correctly. 

I reported the bug to Adobe a few months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billgarv2007's solution worked for me!! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much. after hours of googling finally a solution that works. thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well when I import any XML file. The solution is to rollback to 12.0.0 Please Adobe, get this fixed, this is an important part of the workflow in our studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the new version yet, AG? See if it works for you as a test.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin - have you tested it?  We are paying for this software with an expectation that it will work.  I'll download the update once you can assure me it works and that nothing else has been broken.

For everyone else.  Use Premiere 2017 to import the XML and then copy the sequence into Premiere 2018.  This means you need to keep 2017 on your machine or download and install it.

ta

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, please address this most basic functionality in your software. It's simply unacceptable to wait this long for a fix. People have been reporting this issue on the Adobe forums for months. Unchecking the Allow duplicate media box doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines