• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere renders stuff out differently to what is on the timeline

Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere renders out the wrong section of the clip to what is actually on the timeline. It's doing this roughly 25% of the time. Possibly related to changing the framerate of footage. It looks like the clip use the new framerate of the file on the timeline but when it comes to rendering, it uses the original framerate. It's very intermitent. Issue could also be related to outputting via Media Encoder as I don't think I've seen this happen yet when exporting directly from Prem.

Another issue which could be related is recently I opened up an older project in the latest version of Prem and all the video files had defaulted back to their original framerate.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot sequence settings, clip properties, export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed in 22.2.0

Rendered a sequenc via Encoder and it rendered something different to what was on my timeline. Re-rendered via direct Export and was correct.

prem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash media cache and preferences.

See how that goes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by an chance does the source material come from a smartphone or a screen capture?  If so, the problem may be that your source has a variable frame rate which can cause unpredictable and intermittent issues.  Here's how to diagnose and fix the problem

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate setting the quality slider in the video panel to maximum
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

as far as your issue with the frame rate reverting, I'd suggest that you continue working in the earlier version of premiere as a workaround

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in v22.5 Exporting via encoder is just a no-go for me as I can't trust it anymore. Having to export timelines one by one is painful. Any chance you devs want to fix this bug that you have implemented??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing this is an issue caused by the "interpret footage" to change the frame rate.   I seem to remember there were some posts here about similar problems with, if I remember correctly, an alternate workflow.   do some searching here or perhaps someone else will remember better than I do.  I also think there may be some 3rd party tools to alter the frame rate as desired.   Apple used to have something called cinematools that was part of finalcutpro studio that would do this for certain formats but they broke that many years ago.   Just working on my first cup of coffee today in NY so I may have an epiphany once the caffeine kicks in.  ah, caffeine is starting to work.  What format (codec) are your source files.  mpeg formats like mp4, etc in which every frame is not discreet may be the problem... transcoding to an all i-frame format like prores might solve the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shouldn't have to use 3rd party tools. There was no issue a few versions ago and the exports directly from Premiere are fine - it only seems to be when exporting via Encoder. 99% of my footage is ProRes 422 movs. They are mastered TVCs at 23.98fps which I interpret to 25fps for UK broadcast. I've had the same workflow for years, this bug has only come about recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend starting Pr from a shortcut (Start Menu, Desktop, Taskbar) and then once you are at the welcome screen, go to preferences>media cache and delete all your cache files. With the version changes that the project has gone through there may be stuff lingering around that is affecting the frame rate processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't argue with you about what should be...  just trying to suggest possible workarounds to get you over the hump...  Have you reported the bug?   Can't count on Adobe engineers picking up the problem from this forum...  Don't have the link at hand, but a quick search here should find it...      Also, there have been a few things suggested in this thread.  Please let us know that you've tried them.  Not always easy to help people remotely unless we work in a systematic fashion...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're interested in a workaround, https://www.digitalrebellion.com/promedia

has an app called qt edit that will change the frame rate for you...  I think there's a free trial, so you might give it a shot...    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting via Premiere Pro, what is the Range pop-up menu set to?

WarrenHeaton_0-1657818224119.png

When exporting from Media Encoder, what is the Source Range pop-up menu set to?

WarrenHeaton_1-1657818268626.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening in 22.6.2. Why the — has this not been fixed yet? Time and time again I am looking like a complete — in front of my clients because they are being supplied with edits full of completely random edits. All I am asking for is Encoder to encode what I am seeing on the timeline. It's a fairly basic ask of any NLE. Sort this — out.

Mod note: Please do not use profanity. It is against our community guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done a bug report?  Have you tried smart rendering?  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-what-is-smart-rendering/td-p/10648488

Have you tried any of the suggestions and workarounds in this thread?  Clearly most people are not experiencing this issue and it's just not realistic to expect adobe to test their software on every possible variation of operating system, hardware and media type...  This is true of every piece of editing software out there....  If you want to properly troubleshoot this problem, post back and we'll start and try and figure out what's going on in a systematic fashion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening one year on in Prem 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me again. Despite an Adobe representative on the user voice forum saying this was fixed, it clearly isn't.
Here is my very simple workflow that Premiere/Encoder no longer seems to be able to handle.

Step 1. Import footage. Generally this will be ProRes 422 MOVs. The framerate of these files will be 23.976. I change it to 25fps.

chrisbrearley_0-1675264252910.png

Step 2. Cut in a 25fps sequence. Everything looks as it should on the timeline.

chrisbrearley_1-1675264397123.png

Step 3. Send to Media Encoder. Here's where the problem is. Doesn't matter what type of file I export to. It will only ever be DNxHD 36/185 movs or MP4s. It will randomly and intermittently render out wrong in and out points of the clip as though it's reading from the file at 23.976. This does not happen when exporting one sequence at a time via Premiere Export. When using Send To Media Encoder, a temp project gets saved in the background that Encoder reads from. This project seems to not always look at the modified interpret footage settings of 25fps.

I don't know how to spell this out any simpler than I have done. I have used the same hardware for the last 3 years and this workflow for the last 10 years. This bug came in around 12 months ago. I cannot trust Send To Media Encoder anymore so I have to export each sequence individually. Time consuming when you are knocking out numerous spots in one go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chrisbrearley 

When your source footage is all ProRes, are your Sequence Video Previews also set to ProRes?

In an attempt to keep working with this workflow in the current version, try using a matching ProRes preset in Media Encoder such that your initial pass is 23.976 ProRes conformed to 25 and edited at 25 ProRes Previews and then exported to 25 ProRes.  Assuming those exports use the Clip In/Out as expected, they can be expoerted to a Watch Folder that does the DNx and/or H264 encode.  While it's not nearly as convenient as going directly to the needed delivery format as you have been doing in the past, it might work until this gets resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

impossible to troubleshoot from a distance without approaching this in a systematic fashion.  As I suggested in a previous post, have you tried smart rendering...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-what-is-smart-rendering/td-p/10648488

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines