• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere v22 laggy timeline. GPU not being used for timeline playback.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Premiere v22 and tested a few video clips. The timeline is unplayable and not as smooth as v15.4.1. I opened the AMD Radeon Software to check performance metrics. On v15.4.1 I could see utilization as high as 100%. On v22, I can see sporadic utilization as high as 23% during playback and very high CPU utilization. Anyway just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing worse timeline performance. For me I have to go back to using v15.4.1 as v22 performance is poor and unusable. 

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not monitored my performance metrics, but I found premiere v22 unusable so far. I have an RTX 3080 gpu and when I try to playback a timeline that works smooth as butter in v15.4.1, v22 chokes and stutters and the GPU fans are as loud as they could be. Something's not right here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that something is not right with this new release of Premiere
(v22). If timeline performance is worse than the previous version of
Premiere then the devs must have broken something. I have tried clearing
the cache, reinstalling v22, restarting my computer, reverting to a
previous AMD gpu driver, and yet timeline performance runs like mud.

Just have to stick with version 15.4.1 for now until an update is
available.

Also worth mentioning is that if you have Windows 11 and have experienced
worse performance make sure to run updates. New updates have fixed
performance issues and a laundry list of other issues. In addition if you
have an AMD CPU you might get worse performance as well. AMD has released
new updates to fix performance with Windows 11. The fix in my case was to
run Windows updates and uninstall old AMD chipset drivers and reinstall
with newest chipset drivers available on the AMD website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, Playhead freezes and disappears after a while when watching clips on the timeline when using the JKL keyboard shortcut. If you speed up two or three times CRASH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Baffy19,

Sorry for the issue. Can you please share machine and media details(Camera/codec etc.), and possibly some sample media ?

You can drop them here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/share.html

We have yet to notice this crash. We would like to explore it further.

Does changing the resolution of monitor (Full, 1/2, 1/4 ) make any difference in the playback ?

Thanks, Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera shot:

A Sony As3 camera was used for shooting. The material was recorded in the format SLOG 3. Shutter speed 1/125. Bitrate - 100 MB. The image size is 3840x2160. The video format of the video codec of the video frame is AVC_3840_2160_HP@L51. The video frame rate is 25 frames per second. File Type - MP4.
System computer: Intel Core I9, 8 cores/16 threads. Video card - Nvidia 2070 Super, 8 GB of RAM. 32 GB of RAM. Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 - 19043.1288 Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 - 19043.1288.

Premier Pro v. 22.0.

With any resolution, play head freezes and slows down with simple playback. And when you accelerate the viewing of the material on the timeline, the picture in the viewing window freezes, while the sound is played.
The program itself does not crash, but the video freezes in the viewing window and Playhead is not tracked on the timeline at this moment. After the playback stops, some time passes and it dies. Play head slows down even during normal playback without speeding up the viewing. Stutters and does not respond at first when the Play button is pressed. 

Using a far from weak editing machine, I experience brakes and stutters. Whatever computer I buy, the problem will remain. It is necessary to change the algorithms of the Premiere Pro program for unprecedented speed and smooth operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This distant problem with Playhead has already been solved by Adobe developers since early versions and more than once or twice. Why do users face this problem due to playhead freezing on the timeline after a few updates. This issue needs to be closed in one update and not come back to this problem again and again. Why then do you listen to users about problems and do not fix them in the future. It gets boring to discuss the same problems endlessly. Users complain endlessly. I have been monitoring the discussions on the new version and there are still problems that I have encountered. The average of them is a problem with the color on the clips, a dynamic link between AE and Premier. The oldest problem I'm not talking about is just the crazy response rate when exiting the program. It hangs for more than 10 seconds. And then it just closes. Sometimes with notification of incorrect closing of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SSD NvME- M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 Gb, speed work below link 

CrystalDiskMark_20210804131433.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why I own a modern car on board the famous brands of the company: INTEL, NVIDIA, SAMSUNG.

And the work is very unimpressive. Is it a hype of brands to buy or is there a problem in Adobe software development??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem ever since the new update! Though my computer should be destroying these timelines with my 2070 GPU and Ryzen CPU, it can barely handle simple effects and is the GPU is not be utilized well at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 10. I thought maybe was a GPU driver issue, but after updating, same problem.  It does seem that my GPU is not engaging at all! What I originally thought were my GPU fans blasting was really my CPU fans going full steam. I monitored my GPU activity last night and saw that the GPU fans were actually at 0% when the timeline was stuttering. 15.4.1 still works perefectly for the same timeline, so I guess I'll stay with that for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update. After reading many forum posts. A user reported that turning on high quality playback or playing media at full resolution improved timeline playback performance. 

I did a quick test on Premiere v22 and noticed an immediate improvement by turning on high quality playback. I monitored performance metrics on my system and found that the GPU was now being utilized and CPU utilization was low. 

I tested with full resolution preview only and noticed an immediate improvement in timeline playback performance as well. However, GPU utilization was sporadic with higher CPU utilization. 

Ironically playing back media at half or any lower resolution will result in an unplayable timeline. Turning on high quality playback and previewing in lower resolutions improved timeline performance considerably. So to wrap up, turning on high quality playback improves timeline performance similar  to Premiere v15.4.1. I still think this is a bug, but try it out as it might work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have heard about this issue. But, in my case, everything stutters the same way. The only thing I noticed as a positive moment is the immediate stop of Playhead on the timeline after pressing pause in playback. The rest, the stuttering and fading of Playhead causes concerns in the new version of Premiere Pro v.22.0. I think this is a marriage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full Quality is not working for you, Baffy? Hmmm. That is the prescribed workaround. Do you have a clip sample I can forward to the engineers?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, pressing the JL keyboard shortcut can speed up and PlayHead starts jumping and stuttering. Sometimes norms. But, it's through once. This is assuming a clean and raw frame. If you interpret, paint and make a project, PlayHead will get stuck significantly. This is on all clips, regardless of resolution and format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full resolution, 1/2 or 1/4 does not save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saying this for a reason. In the previous version, everything was smooth. Of course, not as fast as I want. I would like the playback to be forward and backward like the mechanism of a Swiss watch. This is the first thing you pay special attention to when assembling material and watching clips on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround you specified works on Imac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix works for me too. I would have never found it apart from these forums... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines