• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem when using HLG footage with Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm shooting in HLG from the DJI Mavic 2 Pro however when I import it to premiere and open the scope, it shows as if the video was a normal Rec709 video(the white clips at 255, even when I put the scope in HDR mode nothing is beyond 255). I tried doing the same thing with a HDR video which I exported out of premiere itself(HEVC, HDR10) and the white goes all the way up to 1K (and probably higher if the content had a higher white point). This suggests to me that for some reason, Premiere is converting the Rec2020 HLG video into Rec709 somehow during the import process and treating the footage as a non-HDR video? Is there any loss in quality caused by this? and is this a normal behaviour of Premiere?

Note:

I've noticed a few weird things about the HLG video from the Mavic, if I play the raw footage through Windows 10's "Movies & TV" (the default video player) everything seems washed out(probably because it was trying to play HDR content on a non-HDR monitor?) however playback in VLC and preview in Premiere looks like a normal video even on non-HDR monitor. Maybe there's something wrong with the metadata in the DJI's file?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im having same issue. this is so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with HDR is a lot more complicated than working with SDR/Rec.709. A whole lotta things gotta be set correctly.

To do so, your OS probably needs to be set to use the monitor in HDR ... the monitor needs to be set to HDR ... the sequence color management settings in Premiere need to be set to the right HDR format, for yours, HLG.The Preferences option for 'Display Color Management" must be set to on, and for Macs especially, the preference option for "Extended Dynamic Range Monitoring When Available" must also be checked. And of course, that the scopes are in HLG also.

The scopes SCALES values are not set by the scope's color space, but set in the lower-right corner of the Scopes panel ... you have options for 8 bit, 10 bit, float, and HDR.

And you need to check the clip color management to make sure Premiere is correctly categorizing the media. That's in the Project panel. Right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage, and check what color space is shown. You may well need to use the Override To ... option at the bottom, set that to HLG.

Then you also need to use the HLG export presets.

With all that done correctly, you can get HLG into through and out of Premiere. Now ... after you upload to say YouTube, it may well take them several hours to make an HLG form of the clip available. Another user was complaining that YouTube 'coudn't use' the HLG out of Premiere ... but found that a couple hours after he'd finished uploading, YouTube actually changed the video to the HLG version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help please. I have mulitple projects pending. This is a nightmare. I have shot in HLG for the past year without problems on my A7siii and A7iii. Now with the Mavic 3 Im running into countless problems and no matter what settings I change the export comes out low quality and flickering. This is my job. I need assistance here. Please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a clip somewhere so I could download and test it on my machine?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course. Now when I go to export - adobe crashes every time or says error compiling footage. I am defeated.

Ill upload clip onto a dropbox link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the link ... and I'll get to it sometime tomorrow then.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meantime, load a clip into MediaInfo from the Sony that worked, and then a clip from the Mavic that doesn't. Compare and contrast to see if there are any clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines