• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with Premiere Pro CS5 project files bloating

Explorer ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had the same problem that we're experiencing? - we have Production Premium CS5 installed on a machine with Win 7 Pro x64. We have three separate edits all of which are experiencing bloating of the .prproj project file. Often this bloating seems to occur when no importing of assets has occured, just changes in the edits. A project which started at 5mb has bloated to 1.5GB and we can no longer save it. Another project has bloated to 200mb and continues to grow in size. We have not brought in any weird assets, although we are using hi-def footage.

We upgrade from CS3 and never had this problem using Premiere CS3.

We can't fix the problem by 'remove unused footage' as this doesn't reduce the project size, although it does remove the unused footage.

We can't fix it by importing the project into a new clean project as the problem and huge file size just comes with

We can't fix it by using the project manager to collect up the project as it requires to save before collecting and the problem files can't be saved.

A couple of points to note - these projects were originally on Premiere CS3 and were upgraded to CS5. The footage is either Sony EX3 or Canon 5D - both HD.

The machine it's running on has 8gb of RAM.

Currently the projects I'm working on are gradually grinding to a hold with no way to make the files usable again.

Any suggestions are greatfully recieved as I'm at a loss. I've reported this to Adobe, and will report back if I get anything useful.

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we have.

No, I can't say when. Sorry.

Mattnesss wrote:

I'm having this problem too now.  A project ballooned up to 2.1 GB on our mac.

It looks like Sherl said that you have found a fix over a month ago.

Any idea when the update will be released?

Thanks,

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm french. I have a idem probleme (23mo to 1go). But i have resulte problem...a littte resolution : I don't restart my Imac ! The "bloading project" is back when I load my project .prproj (41mo). Since 3 days I don't restart Abobe premiere CS5... and I haven't bug boading !

Adobe support say to me :" Adobe team work on the problem".... But since the month MAY ! That's crazy !!

You'haved resolved the problem ??

Cordialement,

JSebastien B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Sebastien, I'm disappointed that there hasn't been a fix for this yet as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I had to go back to CS4 and all it's problems with crashing in the middle of projects and green screens during DVD encoding and slow-ass render times. If there is a fix please release it if there is not a fix how about a refund? People have deadlines and editing is a painstaking process as you know. How frustrating it is when you can't open your project or even save it when a project bloats from MB's to GB's C'mon guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm another victim of the bloating project file size. I have been editing AVCHD footage (with some multicam elements) in CS5 on my Win7 64bit Quad Core 8GB Ram machine. The project is a wedding with a timeline of 3hrs. I was on the back end of editing the project in prep for importing to Encore when I started noticing the sluggish response times in loading, editing and saving. Eventually the software stopped responding and took several hours to come back. After some investigation I found that what would be typical project file size of around 16mb bloated to 360mb!!!

I rang Adobe technical this morning (before discovering this forum) and the chap I spoke to did not really know much about the problem. He suggested it may be something to do with hi-res j-peg images I had been using in my titles. Following his lead I eventually got back into the project and deleted the j-peg files. After saving the project I went to check the project size and found it had now bloated to 780mb.

I have not tried any of the work arounds suggested yet so will report back on if these resolve the issue for me. I am wondering whether everyone who has been experiencing this problem has found it re-occurring on other projects?? My fear is that I am planning to edit over 15 weddings in the next few months and don't want this to keep happening until Adobe eventually release the fix.

May have to go back to CS4. Like others I feel cheated having invested so much in the software. Adobe please release the fix ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendered preview files deleted and project size back down to 10mb from 780mb. Causes a pain as I cant now preview work that has Magic Bullet Looks added to it and other transions and effects. This raises another question to get around the render files issue.... If I was to upgrade my ATI Radeon graphics card to a mecury playback enabled card would I reduce my problem of having to render files (for preview purposes) which in turn cause the project file to bloat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mandip - thats a good question about the Cuda graphics cards solving this problem - I'd be interested to know the answer as if Adobe aren't about to fix this problem any time soon this could be a good (albeit expensive) work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do have a fix, but as you probably know we don't share schedule information publicly. I will just say, sit tight, it's sooner rather than later.

We came out with 5.0.1 a month after CS5 went live so although we've had a fix for a while, we haven't just been sitting on it. The next patch has some additional fixes in it that have had other dependencies.

Sheri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheri, thanks for sharing what you can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Stanley say, THANKS!

Many of us hang on your every word, so all tid-bits are greatly appreciated. We have been blessed by our Adobe presence here, and try to temper our enthusiasm for patches/updates, with the understanding that when you can, you will tell us what you can.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Having the same problem. I am wondering about the proposed work-around. People keep saying "Delete rendered files". I'm not sure what that means. Is there an function in CS5 that can carry out this operation? Or are we talking about going into directories and doing this on our own? Which directories would these be?

Thank you,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been editing my projects in the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only mode, so the way I've been deleting preview files is going to the pull down menu under PROJECT, GENERAL, and changing the pull down menu labeled: Video Rendering & Playback, from Mercury Playback Engine Software Only to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelerator, at that point it recommends that you delete clips... at that point I delete and then return back to the Software mode.  I've tried running on the Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelerator, but it's not working smoothly enough; I'm running a 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @  2.40 GHz, it's not enough, I've been told that I need at least 3 GHz.

hope this helps,

Layne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Prepro, go to Sequence>delete render files.  Do it with the sequence open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never new this as it pertains to sequences, good to know.  But what about many sequences like I described earlier?  The bloating project-file was in the process of growing larger, which sequence do I choose?  Or maybe just start deleting the previews per-sequence until it de-bloats itself, so to speak?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Layne,

In relation to your query in relation to sequences, I think it is the total size of the previews save rather than a particular sequence. I have a project which I am still working on where I have been dealing with the bloating problem. The Project currently has 2 X 2 hour sequences and one 10 minute sequence. I have had the project file blow out twice as I continued working on it. The project file built quickly from around 7mb to 13GB. Luckily I came accross this forum in relation to deleting the preview files to get around the problem. After deleting the preview files then re-saving the project file went back down to about 7 or 8MB. So I think the file blows up as soon as you have a certain amount of preview built up. As long as I have kept my previews to the most recent work I haven't had a problem so far. For what its worth anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for letting me know.  it's good to hear that you're dealing with hour long sequences. "certain amount of preview built up" - the key i guess would be when saving your project throughout the session, be aware that when the last portion of the saving process begins to take longer to complete that maybe the sign that bloating has started (again).  that's the only way to tell (i think) that your preview files have built up too much.

does that sound right or is there a number of preview files that makes it so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds right exactly. As soon as it started to take longer than normal it started growing really quick. So I think your right, as soon as the save starts taking its time take is as a sign to clean out the previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thought so.  looking forward to the resolution soon.

best,

Layne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For complicated sequences I still need some kind of preview, so I export a temp video file of that section and cut it back into the sequence on a new video track on top of everything else, thereby creating my own previews that do not cause bloating.  Until there is a fix it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this project file bloating problem and posted early on about it.  It was suggested then that you can import the sequences into a new project and get back to a small project file size.  It works.  I was working on a music videos from a live performance.  I ended up breaking it down into one song per project and editing it that way.  I create a project for the song, import the original multi-camera sequence and then trim it down to the song I'm working on.  Then when I'm done I embed the song sequences into a master sequence.  I haven't had any bloating yet since I started doing it that way.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just finished a package of 24 individual songs (shot against green screen) and created 24 individual sequences, multi-camera editing included, I thought about breaking them up into smaller, more manageable sequences/projects, anticipating the bloating problem, but i felt i needed to keep all the b-roll and the takes together for re-editing purposes.  My clients needed to view others songs/takes and various b-roll in the package during the edit session and be able to change shots as needed, sometimes they were viewing one song after the other in their near finished sequences - closing the project and opening new one's may have caused frustration for them and been a distraction.

I did have bloating on this project and needed to delete the preview files a number of times.

Should project size be an issue?

(8 gigs ram, Nvida Quadro 3800, Raid 0, Core 2 Quad)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also delete all the relevant preview files by accessing the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files folder.

Go to Project > Project Settings > Scratch Disks to locate that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I'll check it out.

thank you,

LB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the patch has just been released. Any success with the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines