• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Video playing on Samung TV via USB stick

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exported several versions of a 15 minute video, I  made for an Ice Cream business, via Premiere Pro and all have problems playing on a Samsung UE75 MU6100 75 inch TV, via a USB stick.

It usually plays well for up to about 5 showing, and then either won't play at all (it starts but don't move forward) or play in a stuttering, jerky fashion). If I clear and re-format the USB stick, and copy over a new version, it will play OK, usually for a while.

I used the 1080p export setting presets, one with a bitrate of 180, and another with a bitrate of 320. I even used a version of the video converted to play on samsung TV's, using Wondershare software. Again, it worked for 2 or 3 showing and then plays on in fits and starts.

My guess is that it may be the the USB stick and/or how it is playing in the TV. I have ordered a Sandisk 64GB USB3 150MB/s ultra fit stick, to see if that helps.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome.

Stephen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Screen shot is perfect, click on it to see full-quality version.

Strange, when I had tried H.264 export here the max bitrate allowed was 50, but may depend on the preset you start with. Make sure you are not looking at the AUDIO bit rate of 320kbps.

Bit rate is basically how much bandwidth the file uses per second. Please keep in mind though that you can't make something look better than it did to start with! Meaning most video cameras using AVCHD recording for instance might use between 24mbps to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the USB stick is just too slow as you've suspected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've been on to Samsung and they also suggested a USB 3.0 stick, and a to do a soft reset of the TV.

Can someone suggest the best bit rate for HD TV, and also do I use a YouTube preset if not actually uploading to Youtube - or is there a better preset for HD TV viewing?

Thanks again,

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please provide a screen shot of the Export Settings you are currently using? You mention trying bit rates of 180 and 320 and that is confusing because for an H.264 export, 1080p 29.97 might be 32 to 40Mbps tops. YouTube preset would be 16Mbps.

Are you starting with H.264 format and exporting an .mp4 ​file, or perhaps using some other format/codec?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, I'm not sure if this screenshot is clear enough. I think I got the bitrate settings, from a Youtube video which basically said "turn them up as high as they can go".

For the most recent export, made 10 minutes ago, I have used much lower setting of Target 15 and Maximum 30. I have to say I don't really understand bitrate settings and how to use them correctly.

The other main settings are H.264, 1080p and VBR 2 pass, exporting as an MP4 file. If I need to change anything or add anything, I'd welcome the advice.

Stephen

settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot is perfect, click on it to see full-quality version.

Strange, when I had tried H.264 export here the max bitrate allowed was 50, but may depend on the preset you start with. Make sure you are not looking at the AUDIO bit rate of 320kbps.

Bit rate is basically how much bandwidth the file uses per second. Please keep in mind though that you can't make something look better than it did to start with! Meaning most video cameras using AVCHD recording for instance might use between 24mbps to 28mbps quality. If you edit that file in Premiere, and export at say 40 or 50mbps...the video is not going to look any better than it started out. So really, exporting at higher bit rates creates a larger file than the original, but without much if any benefit.

Maybe put the Target and Max numbers closer together to avoid huge spikes in data rate which could cause playback issues. Like 15 and 20 rather than 15-30.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff

As you say, I was probably looking at the audio bitrate! depending on which preset I use, the maximum video bitrate seems capped at around 62.5.

I'll export another version with closer bitrates as you suggest; 15 20.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your Sequence is using 23.976fps (24p) and export is 24p then I will assume your source video is also 24p is that correct? Not sure that all TV displays can display native 23.976 content - wonder if it would make any difference if exported as 29.97fps instead? Of course, see if simple bit rate changes fix the issue first, change frame rate as last resort.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the video (13.5 minutes total) was shot on a Canon 5D III at 1920 / 24 / ALL-I. There are some drone sequences at 50fps in 4K.

I'll try the bitrate change and see how it looks and then change the fps, if it's still problematic.

If anyone is interested, a low res version of the video is here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the FAT32 USB format is the most common format supported by TVs, although recent TVs support the ExFAT format. The ExFAT format also works when the videos you are going to show on the TV via the USB drive is larger than 4GB. I am good after the solution also recently watched this TV: isratvseries.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines