• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program/Source monitor go black during R3D playback Premiere 15.4.1

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have my clips in the timeline and after about 15min of working or so, the screen goes black.  Sometimes when I stop and start again it comes back, or if I reduce to 1/2 playback it does, but it is inconsistent. Furthermore, when I pause, it will stay black, rendering it impossible to apply some color correction as I cannot see what I am doing.  Audio resumes no matter what during playback.

I have the latest version of Premiere 15.4.1 and it is still happening. Sometimes it will then freeze on an image and I'll never get playback until I close and restart the program.

I notice this with 6K r3d footage, I reduce to 1/2 and it still is happening sometimes

I don't know if there is a gfx setting I need or something but here are my specs, which seem like they should be more than enough.

Windows 10 Pro

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor

3.50 GHz

RAM - 64GB

GFX - NVidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super with 8GB VRAM

OS/Apps drive - 500gb NVMe

Render/Cache drive - 1tb NVMe

Media Drive - 4tb SSD

Destination drive for exports - 2tb SSD

Display 1 DELL P2418HT 1080p 24" Touch Screen (use for timeline, tools panels, etc)

Display 2 DELL U2720Q 4K 27" (use for displaying program monitor)

I have gone into the NVIDIA Control Panel and based on recommendation I found applied the following settings in the attached screenshots.

I appreciate any help or advice I can get on this situation. I built this computer less than a year ago and do not understand what is causing this issue, other than Premiere not utilizing all of the machine's power.

Thanks

Ross Kolton

   

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Hi all! We have a potential fix available in the latest beta of Premiere Pro (version 24.0)

If you'd like, you can try your R3D footage in that version of Premiere. Please let us know if the issue is not fixed for you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 22.2 made my system screens go black and caused my system to reboot. Switching to 1/2 resolution may not help as seen in the video link below.

Adobe made me get this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello has anyone figured this out yet?

I've narrowed it down to R3D clips with lumetri or text effects, and especially if I use a mask or move the text around. The screen flickers black for a moment, my GPU usage gets maxed out to 100%, and then the screen goes black. I have to restart premier to fix. So basically right now I really have to tread lightly when using lumetri or text on my RED footage.  Whish is lame considerig my rig... never had this specific issue with older versions of premier.

How has this not been sorted yet lol 

i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz

128 GB RAM

RTX 3090

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey pls let us know if you figured this out. Same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, we released a fix for this in our latest Beta build. It should fix the issue happening with .r3d footage. If you're not using R3D footage, it may be a different issue! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here -- especially when doing anything with Lumetri. My system is aging (Geforce GTX 1070 & Intel i7 8700K), so I may need an upgrade. But it's specifically r3d files.

I tried the Beta build, didn't seem to help. Can you specify what the fix is? (not sarcastic haha, I'm curious about what the black screen/r3d issue is. I see it all over the forums).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More specifically, I would love to know if upgrading the GPU to a certain amount of vram would solve the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've narrowed the problem down to.....nothing really more than has already been mentioned. This has been happening to me on and off since we started getting RED footage, even on a new machine. 

It definitely has something to do with RED footage and Lumetri. But that's about as good as I can get it. 

I recently did a windows update? 

Here's an interesting bit though. I have proxies for all of the footage as well, just really small h.264 files so we can share the proxies remotely easily. It works fine if all my media is disconnected. But as soon as I connect the media with my files, even though "use proxy" is enabled, my screen will flicker, then go black. 

Sometimes it's only while paused. But after a couple tries, it'll usually cause the program monitor to go completely black.

If I open the file and don't touch lumetri, it seems I can do whatever. Adjust cuts, change scale, audio changes, etc. But if I adjust Lumetri, it's as if it starts a 0:30-2 minute timer, then flickers and goes black. 

This is Premiere Pro v 23.2, with an i9-12900H, 32GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.1413 with RTX 3080 Ti (12GB vRAM) driver 531.29

It is a very capable machine, and on Many days, I have no problem editing 8K raw red footage with multiple lumetri effects. And others, like today, touching a lumetri effect lets me visually make one or two changes quickly, then I have to save, close, open again. 

I don't want to Just blame Adobe, but lets get real. This has been going on for several years. You'd think they would at least have a clue what the cause is by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus H your attention and assistance may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve the issue completely by switching over to DaVinci
Resolve. Stability with R3D is unreal!!

I think before I switched though, I was able to solve it on Premiere by
deleting or emptying my cache, or something like that. It seemed to me like
the issue was related to the "optimized media" that premiere would create
from the R3D footage. I'm sorry I've forgotten the exact details, but it
still didn't solve the problem permanently. I'd still have to periodically
empty the cache if it happened again.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that was how I resolved my issue, yes pun intended, no apologies. 

I haven't tried doing a full edit in resolve so my workflow has been to edit in premiere and just not even bother with lumetri and go right to resolve. The color tools are incredible, intuitive, and easy to use. Still love using premiere for the edit. But yeah, my advice to anyone working with r3d in premiere, don't bother with lumetri and just send your finished cut to resolve, its the best method that produces the highest quality results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all fine and dandy for some, but we have limited space and tons of footage, as well as shorter timelines than I'm finding many people have. I also have to take a round trip to After Effects often enough, which Davinci doesn't do. So now I'm stuck managing a ton of edit proxies, full size ProRes, and original media. 

That's just not ideal. I'd rather just export to a png sequence and wav file. Still yuv444 compatible, and smaller than ProRes 422. (I don't actually do that. It's just too many files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all! We have a potential fix available in the latest beta of Premiere Pro (version 24.0)

If you'd like, you can try your R3D footage in that version of Premiere. Please let us know if the issue is not fixed for you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines