• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Save Error: An unknown error occurred while saving the project.

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I originally posted this as a reply to a similar thread, but thought I'd post a new thread just in case it doesn't get spotted,

Every time I try and save a project in Premier I get this error:

"An unknown error occurred while saving the project.

Select 'Save As' from the File menu to save the project to a new location."

It's fine if I Save As (with a new file name). The problem is, I don't want to keep saving as a new file as I need to Dynamically Link the project into After Effects.

My spec:

Premiere Pro: v14.2.0

After Effects: v17.1.0 (including this just in case, as the Premiere project contains some Dynamically Linked AE compositions)

Windows 10 Pro (64bit) OS Build 18362.836

CPU: Intel i7-8700K @3.70GHz

RAM: 64 GB

GPU: GTX 1080 Ti + GTX 1080 (with latest drivers)

I've deleted the cache files, reset my preferences and workspace and it's still not fixed. I'm not in a position to roll back my GPU drivers as the project I'm on requires my current ones for 3D rendering.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Jamie

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Sorry I'm not sure if replying to your own messages to 'bump' them to the top is seen as bad etiquette on this forum or not? It's just that I'm under a tight deadline, and I'm really desperate to get this issue resolved if possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this helps, but I noticed this as part of the error message when it shows the file path:

(\\?\M:\Dropbox\.........)

Could the "\\?\" at the start of the file path be causing the problem?

I also noticed that if I delete all my cached media, reset my preferences and workspace and restart my computer, when I first load up the project in Premiere Pro it will save fine the first time, but if I try and save it again, I get the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save to a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann, thanks for your reply. My M: drive is a local SSD drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just plugged in an external drive and saved to that instead. That appears to work.

Does anyone know why Premiere would suddenly stop letting me save to my SSD drive? I'm not getting any issues with other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be an issue with drive permissions which can sometimes get screwed up.  I work most of the time on a mac so I can't speak to how to fix this on a windows machine.  I have seem this happen occasionally but I'm usually able to work around it.   When you see this happen, try switching to the operating system and see if you can move any file to the same location that your original project is saved as.  If you get an error message, it's an OS issue not a premiere issue.  

Also, fwiw, although ssd's do not have any moving parts beyond the atomic level, they can fail.   I have seen ssd's get wonky on the mac.  Usually a reformat solves the problem... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response mgrenadier.

The drive appears to be working fine in all other situations. I can copy files to and from the same location, as well as save files from other applications like After Effects and Cinema 4D. It's just Premiere.

I'm backing the SSD drive up now just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like I managed to resolve this issue by formatting the drive.

I'm still curious to know why the issue was only apparent with Premiere though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARGHHH... No it's happening again!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what format did you partition the drive with?  Shouldn't make a difference, but shouldn't ain't the same as couldn't...

Not sure that doing a save as is going to cause serious issues with embedded AE comps.  If you make each ae comp it's own ae project, I think you should be able to open the ae project, make changes, do a save and it should be reflected in the premiere timeline.  I usually render my ae comps IN aftereffects, and lay them ontop of the AE comp in the premiere timeline.   Saves the system so heavy overhead when it's playing the files and makes things much easier of the link to the ae comp gets screwed up.  Sometimes it's just easier to use a workaround...  Not ideal, I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am seeing this problem with CC 2020, specifically with files on Dropbox. If I pause Dropbox syncing, I can save the file. I'm guessing it's a problem with Dropbox and I'm investigating further.

Very frustrating because my client and I only work through online Dropbox folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save my premiere projects on a folder that's synched to the cloud via dropbox without issues.  but I'm the only one working with it...  If a client is working with the project, they do a save as with their intials and the date and then if I work with their project... I do the same.    Seems like a recipe for disaster to expect DLL After Effects projects to work properly in this situation...  bwdik?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I just watched an youtube video where a guy explains that sometimes the error ocurre because of little hardisk space. So he erased a couple archives and emptied the bin. I did this and worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS IT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem so after a few minutes of basic trouble shooting, resetting preferences, cleaning cache files, and all the other things you do, I determined it must be a drive issue.  After doing all the drive diagnostics, etc., I ultimately discovered that there simply wasn't enough room left on the drive...duh.  I archived a few projects then deleted them from the main media drive and that did the trick.  Hope your solution is something as simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem. The issue has occurred on two projects, two individual drives, both with plenty of space, one freshly reformatted. If I do a "Save As" the file is saved, but if I open the project fresh from the new Save As file I am unable save that file without doing yet another "Save As".

error 1.png

Just to confirm, there are no permission issues with this drive.

Now, this window has appeared! 
error 2.png

Version 15.2 Build 35

Windows Pro 10 64-bit

GForce GTX1660Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LogiOptions extension exists in the following path.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions\LogiOptionsAdobe

Delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem except it was NOT letting me "save as." Turns out the external drive I was using was completely full (270kb left). After deleting some files on the external drive I was working off of, I was able to save as usual. Not sure if this fix works for everyone or even this problem specifically, but as someone who came to this thread looking for solutions, for me this was the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're playing with fire if you let a hard drive get that full.  You should leave at least 10% free space on all drives and at least 20% free space on your startup drive.  Drives can get corrupt if you fill them to the brim and you could land up losing all your data....   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this error. My case was pretty simple.. lacking space on located drive. Could it be that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably it is often diskspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's most definitely NOT the SSD space issue for me. I'm using an external drive that still hase 3.4 TB of space available. Has anyone found another fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried "save as" in a new location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines