Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ProRes Export Taking Forever - Premiere Version 22.5

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone is having the same problem. I'm trying to export a long video (over 40 min) to ProRes 422, and in trying to do it through Premiere and Encoder, it's taking like 20 hours!! I exported a H.264 and it took 6 minutes on my 2020 M1 Macbook. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revisa si tienes el espacio suficiente en el drive en donde lo estés alojando. Si lo estás subiendo a una carpeta de almacenamiento en la nube como OneDrive, Dropbox, G-Drive o el mismo Creative Cloud, intenta cambiándolo de directorio o exportarlo a un dispositivo externo con suficiente espacio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really wish that was the problem. I tried exporting to a different drive (My Desktop) and I know I have plenty of space there, and it's still saying it's taking 20 hours or more. Exporting H.264 is fine. But exporting ProRes is taking forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, Ryan. Super sorry about this. There may be a bug with ProRes, the computer you are using, and the version of Premiere Pro that is installed. Can you give us specifics so we can figure out what's going on? Anything extraordinary going on with the sequence, like effects, adjustment layers, scaling, color space, or frame rate conversions? These details would be helpful.

Thanks!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin, for your quick response. No, the sequence is pretty simple. It's an old master that we're redubbing into a different language. So all I have is the ProRes master clip and then graphics files overlapping the clip. I do have one short graphic at the beginning that is nested. My sequence settings are PAL 25 fps, 720 x 444, Pixel Aspect Ratio D1/DV PAL (1.0940). I'm doing this all on the latest version of Premiere, Version 22.5.0 (Build 62), and the computer I'm working on is a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro, 13-inch. It has 16 GB memory and I'm running on the Monterey OS, Version 12.5.1. If you need any other details, please let me know. Thanks! Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sequence settings are PAL 25 fps, 720 x 444, Pixel Aspect Ratio D1/DV PAL (1.0940).

By @Clueless513

Assuming that your footage is PAL as well, what happens if you use the default setting for PAL? The standard setting for PAL 4:3 is 720x576 with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.0940.

Are your source footage 720x576 or 720x444 and which pixel aspect ratio does it have?

When mixing standards odd issues do often creep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the same exact properties for the sequence that the footage has as well. I've attached a screenshot for confirmation. The only thing that I can see that is different is that the master file has a color space of Rec 601 (NTSC) and I'm using a standard Rec 709 color space, because there wasn't an option for Rec 601. Another important note is that before this latest update for Premiere I did not have an issue exporting ProRes 422 with other sequences with the same properties (PAL 25 fps, 720x444, Pixel aspect ratio 1.0940) and similar sequence characteristics. I didn't start having trouble until this latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this an interlaced format? Sounds like it. Also, are you trying to use smart rendering? What flavor of ProRes is it? 4444? LT? 422? I hope to shed some light here ASAP, as some bugs are coming up when cross-referencing M1 and ProRes issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not interlaced - it's progressive. I'm not exactly sure what smart rendering is so I'm guessing no. I tried to send it to AME and render it, and I've tried to render it straight from Premiere and both ways yielded it saying 20-30 hours. The original file is ProRes 422 and I'm trying to export ProRes 422.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clueless,

Sorry. In Export Settings > General, is "Using Previews" enabled? 

If so, try once more with the option disabled.

If not, can you try a test file that is the standard PAL size (like color bars), as Averdahl mentioned, and see if it works? 

Let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, it looked like I already had "Using Previews" enabled, but I confirmed that by making sure it was disabled and then I tried exporting my video and it did the same thing - really long export time. Then I did a test export to ProRes 422 of the color bars with standard PAL. It literally exported in 2 seconds - LOL! Which got me thinking...I have many other videos like the one I'm trying to export. I tried going to another one to export...and the same thing happened. Not sure what's going on. Sincerely, Clueless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that last response was confusing. In that first sentence, I meant to say that I already had "Using Previews" disabled. But then I confirmed that by making sure it was disabled and doing another export. Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a puzzling problem, alright. I'll try and see if I can reproduce the issue. I can't find another person having the same issue right now.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, got it. Sounds good, thanks! Is there a way that I can have the current version of Premiere installed along with previous versions? Because I'm willing to bet that if I can open this trouble sequence on a previous version of Premiere that I would be able to get it to work. The only issue is that I'm working on other projects as well that I only have opened with the current version of Premiere. Thanks, Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way that I can have the current version of Premiere installed along with previous versions?

By @Clueless513

Yes, just install the version you want to install using the Creative Cloud App. All versions can coexist without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I thought. But when I go to install a previous version, I get a dialog like the one that I have attached here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I thought. But when I go to install a previous version, I get a dialog like the one that I have attached here.

By @Clueless513

I meant different major version but missed to state that. For example, you can have version 15.x and version 22.x installed at the same time but not 22.5 and 22.4.

But it is easy to downgrade from 22.5 to 22.4 and then back to 22.5 if you want. AFAIK projects created in 22.5 can be opened in 22.4, but i have not tried that so i cannot promise anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense. The only problem is all the projects I want to export have already been opened in 22.x. But the fix has been found. AME 22.6 came to the rescue. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting to QuickTime and Match sequence preview settings from within Prmiere Pro.

WarrenHeaton_0-1661791125013.png

Based on what your Sequence looks like, it should not take much longer than the time it takes to copy the file in the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren! I tried doing what you said, but I still get the same result, really long export time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're experiencing is very unexpected.

I dropped a 45-minute 2560-by-1440 ProRes 422 LT clip inside a Sequence matching the settings in your screenshot, used Set to Frame Size, and then exported at the settings in my screenshot.  Encoding Time in Media Encoder was 12 minutes and 26 seconds on my 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM.  I'm running macOS 12.5 and Premiere Pro 22.5 and Media Encoder 22.5.

Or course, I didn't overwrite anything above Video Track 1 and left the audio alone.

If you choose Sequence > Render In to Out, how long does that take to render (such that the yellow along the Time Ruler turns green)?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did what you said (Sequence > Render In to Out) and it took 90 seconds to get through the whole ~40 min sequence. Not bad. Then I updated AME to 22.6 and then exported the video to Quicktime format with Render to sequence settings as the codec. It rendered in 3 minutes, 20 seconds! Now we're cooking. Then I wanted to see if it was the fact that I performed the sequence render beforehand or if it was the recent AME update. I exported a different video to AME (same file format and similar sequence characteristics) without doing the sequence render and it rendered in similar time, 4:26. So I'm thinking whatever issue I was having...the AME 22.6 update fixed it. Amazing! Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading all of your posts, I am beginning to believe that your source video had been encoded with a codec that's now no longer supported at all in newer versions of macOS. It might have been encoded using a 32-bit QuickTime format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I check if it's 32-bit QT format? The thing is before the Premiere 22.5 update, I was able to export these same type of videos (I think they're from the 90's LOL) just fine. It wasn't until the 22.5 update where I started having problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines