• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy is attached? How can I know?

Contributor ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in love wth proxys now that I have learned about them, what I am not happy with is having any idea how or if they are actually attached. Before I saw a thread where there are available to be seen if "online" or "offline" but that must of been in an older version of premiere.

Other gripe was I had to discover to add the proxy button which imo should be a standard considering most people can't afford a multi thousand dollar rig to edit 4k video.

Moving forward in a sea of confusion, where can I "see" where proxies are attached in the latest version of premiere pro cc? I have awesome detail about what is what in the description, but nothing pointing me to that a proxy is attached.

I had to re-render through adobe encode three times and it somehow worked, not sure why, but that is another question.

I think that proxies should be put as the main focus on the next update as anyone trying to edit video in "trendy" 4k needs it to be the main focus for editing.

Sorry to gripe, and thanks for answering my question which should take zero research to find, where is the proxy confirmation option in the latest update?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

As has been mentioned, you can set Project Panel to List View and enable Proxy columns. Right-click on a column and choose Metadata Display (or click the Project panel wing/hamburger menu), then twirl down Premiere Pro Project Metadata. There are checkboxes that enable Proxy File Path, Proxy Media File Name and Proxy.

If you are in Freeform View, you can click Project panel wing/hamburger menu and select Freeform View Options. You can enable Proxy for Metadata Line 1 or 2.

When you get Properties

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Project panel is kind of the "home" of Premiere. In a list view in the Project panel you can have the proxy-attached field.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem, and even though the project panel reads proxy attached, the project is still performing like the proxy isn't attached.  I have changed metadata display in the project panel to include a column for "proxy".  When I right click on the clip and "reveal in project" it reveals the original file, not the proxy, but I don't know if that's the file it's supposed to reveal if it's proxied or not.  I am also looking for ways to check that the clip is for sure for sure proxied, because I don't believe it is. 

I've read in other threads where this could involve just starting over with the project, or even re-installing premiere.  Hoping it doesn't come to that.

Thanks

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Proxies toggled on in Premiere:

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 8.31.33 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meg, hey there I am about to do my final render in 4K, do I need to turn off the Proxy icon for final render?

When I right right click on my clips in the timeline that I am about to render it reads 3840x, but I know I am editing with proxies at 1280 because I can scrub through the Video perfectly.

I see the option to re-attach media, which I am still unclear on what that does if I right click on the clips and see my 4K resolution.

BTW I also do not see if proxies are attached in the project window..just super long links but nothing confirming they are attached or not. Very confusing to me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere will only export the full resolution media, unlike FCP-X where if you are in Proxy mode you will export at the proxy settings.

You can verify this before you do your full export, just mark in and out a couple of seconds on the timeline and do a test export using just that marked section. Bring that export file either back into Premiere or another video player and verify it is as you expect.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do.  I notice no change in edit performance when I toggle on or off.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there there is an awesome tutorial on YouTube by whoismatt and gives you a free GoPro codec to use for proxy’s

I followed this and proxy’s are here, just can’t figure out how I know they are there in project window  in premiere lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WhoIsMatt also offers a watermark and workflow for your proxies. I like this method: Here’s a free watermark for your Adobe Premiere Pro CC Proxy Files | Who Is Matt? Matt Johnson | Fil...

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A numbers of functions will use the Full Res clip, including Reveal in Finder/Explorer and Export. You could try any of the methods above to see if Proxy is attached. You could also try Reveal in Finder/Explorer that will show you the Proxy clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been mentioned, you can set Project Panel to List View and enable Proxy columns. Right-click on a column and choose Metadata Display (or click the Project panel wing/hamburger menu), then twirl down Premiere Pro Project Metadata. There are checkboxes that enable Proxy File Path, Proxy Media File Name and Proxy.

If you are in Freeform View, you can click Project panel wing/hamburger menu and select Freeform View Options. You can enable Proxy for Metadata Line 1 or 2.

When you get Properties for a clip, it will list Properties for the Full Res (listed first) and Proxy (below Full Res info).

You will also see basic Proxy Video and Proxy Audio information for clips in the Info panel.

You can find additional information on Proxy at: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but as many people are saying having the proxies listed in the metadata is NOT an indication that they are attached or working e.g. if the timelime clip was to change colour when using a proxy that would be clear. I still get stuttering on my 4K footage when using the proxy toggled to blue which makes me think it isn't working (and yes I can see proxy metadata in the project window). When making the proxies nothing visible changes (except the metadata boxes which fill up). I guess putting a watermark on the proxies DOES show that you are using them so I will try that  - but more work to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just curious, how can we add watermark to proxies? after they are made or during the creation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create the proxies, in the dialog, check in the "Add watermark" box.

RNeilHaugen_0-1664915467822.png

They add a faint overlay in the lower left corner, the Proxy in use icon from the Program menu.

RNeilHaugen_1-1664916129020.png

And note, you can see the proxy icons on the clips in the sequence also, and they are blue ... meaning active. If the proxies are toggled off, the watermark disappears of course, and the icon on the clips turns gray meaning inactive.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fot this, i think this is the key, to check if they are connected, i was going craizy thinking my computer was no good enough, but the tinig was some footage wasn't linked.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and proxies can become unattached.  Usually when you start the project, premiere will give you a warning, but not sure it always does.    I also a few years back had issues with material shot on what I think was a sony fx7.  Don't know if there's a way to change this on the camera, but the camera orignal files came to me with 8 audio tracks (usually 6 of them were blank) and there was no way I could find to generate a proxy file with 8 audio tracks that would stay attached to the camera original and I wasted alot of time digging into this and running tests.  My solution was to just transcode to prores proxy, make offline the camera original and relink to the prores proxy files.  When I was ready to output the final piece, I'd just reverse the dance.   Don't think that's still a problem in later versions of Premiere, but not sure.  Always a good idea when you're working with material from a camera you're not familiar with or from a dp you've worked with before, to test your workflow on one file before spending a whole lot of time generating proxies that may have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines