• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy Workflow: export using proxies?

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that when using the Proxy workflow, it still uses the full-resolution media on exports. That's great for the final cut, but when exporting rough cuts it really makes the exports take a whole lot longer - 3x longer on my tests. Would be great if that was an option left up to the user whether to export using proxies of full res media - instead of doing some workaround where I change the location of the original media to force it to export with proxies.

Test export - 3 minute 4k sequence with scaled 5k R3Ds (proxies are 1080p ProRes Proxy)

Proxy export (1080p mp4) - 5:55

Original media export (1080p mp4) - 15:05

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Yes, export will currently always use Full Res if Full Res and Proxy clips are Online. The other possible workaround is to select all clips in the Project panel or Sequence, right-click and select Make Offline. This will also make all Full Res clips Offline, which will force export of Proxy.

We tried to the supported workflow functionality and known limitations in our documentation, understanding that we could not possibly cover all workflows in this release. There is an open feature request to s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, export will currently always use Full Res if Full Res and Proxy clips are Online. The other possible workaround is to select all clips in the Project panel or Sequence, right-click and select Make Offline. This will also make all Full Res clips Offline, which will force export of Proxy.

We tried to the supported workflow functionality and known limitations in our documentation, understanding that we could not possibly cover all workflows in this release. There is an open feature request to select what you would like to export, without using Offline workarounds. I will add your name to it.

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

Work offline using proxy media | Adobe Premiere Pro CC tutorials

Basic Premiere Pro editing workflow

NOW LIVE! The Latest Update of Premiere Pro CC | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trent! I think this still beats my normal "RCX - Premiere - RCX  - RelinkRetooled - Premiere" workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an open feature request to select what you would like to export, without using Offline workarounds.

That is an excellent solution, an option in the Export Settings dialog to choose Original or Proxy.

Just make sure Original is set by default, and must be manually changed for every export.  (We don't want any accidents on this one.)

Add my name, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I agree that default option should be to export Full Res. I have added your name to the request, Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2016 Jul 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a public list of these requests?
Also, add my name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this can help push this feature any faster, please add me to the ticket as well!

This is an essential feature for WIP outputs, especially if you have LUTs on your proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean your LUTs are burnt into proxies?

Or is there a way of attaching LUTs to Proxies that are not applied to Full Res?

The latter could be very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent, I'd love to be added to this feature request list too! Thanks for the tip on the Make Offline method.

-Zach Putnam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All names have been added to the feature requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent, this is a feature I'd love to see added too.  Please add my name as well.  Mike Rothenberg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added your name, Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for exporting proxies by button selection, rather than taking clips offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add my name to the list too Trent. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, this is an excellent example of using that new "UserVoice feedback system" they just started doing. A vast improvement over the old bug report!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and say, yes, please add this feature of being able to select proxy during export.   Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I have proxy files attached and I select the clip and make if offline it won't think the proxy files are offline as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make Offline will only apply to the Full Res and Proxy will remain Online. You will need to physically move your Proxy files on disk to make the Proxies Offline in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I physically moved my Full Res files to make them offline so I could export using Proxy. Now that I have brought the Full Res files back online, they are no longer attached to the Proxies - Whether I turn Proxy editing on or off, it is only Proxy. Is there a way to re-attach the Full Res files to my edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adam

You can select your clip(s) in the bin, right-click, and then choose Proxy > Reconnect Full Resolution Media...

Hope it helps

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't need to move them ... preferred method is to select in project manager, right-click and choose "make offline".

Easily reversible.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

You didn't need to move them ... preferred method is to select in project manager, right-click and choose "make offline".

Easily reversible.

Neil

Neil, could you explain this a bit further? I am trying to figure out how to do this. I am in the project manager and I can't see how to offline my clips or right click. I want to render just the proxies and looking for the workflow that won't require me to offline each source but only in one full swoop that's reversible.

a few observations on premiere proxies, would love to get a feedback on this:

1. proxies should be easier to detach:

currently you have to commit to another or remove it physically.

2. proxies should be easier to see if checked or not, in both project panel and program monitor:

you have to go through the process of adding a column header in the metadata display and adding a button in the program monitor... I believe that proxies deserve a better indication in both panels. in the project panel maybe right near the name. nifty icon maybe? in the program monitor something that's more visible. text maybe "proxy enabled"

3. proxies should be supported for subclips:

I see that if you want to proxy a subclip, it renders the whole media clip even if you select trim.

4. the presets workflow is error prone and exhausting:

the presets have fixed resolution and not "Half resolution, quarter resolution" i.e they do not have a resolution that is derived from the actually footage. which means you could run the error of creating a different aspect ratio type of proxy. in addition, the presets create H.264 proxies which kind of defeats the purpose of smooth playback because these are compressed files... also, adding a new presets means you have to create it in another software (AME) then in premiere open that preset from a file.

here's a comparison between Premiere's proxies and Ae's proxies:

in Premiere:

• the full information about this proxy is not visible until you right click->properties on the media
  • no indication that there's actually a proxy until you add the column header
  • you can't detach a proxy
  • you can't render just the proxy without jumping through hoops
  • presets are a pain

in Ae:

• the full information about this proxy visible right in the project panel
  • very easily spot you have a proxy in the project panel with the square icon
  • you can detach a proxy very easily
  • you can render just the proxies in the render settings
  • presets are very easily added in the software and attached to proxies

on a positive note, the whole seamless workflow of the proxies in premiere is really neat. you can edit and while you create them, the proxies are created for you seamlessly which is great. also, the integration of Premiere's proxy and Ae's runs smoothly in contrast to what it says in the help files (it does say 2015.3 - but this should be updated) .it states: After Effects and Audition interoperability functions are also not currently supported with the Proxy workflow. but in CC2017 I see that you can copy paste footage items and the proxy will cross over smoothly between the two apps which is neat. and of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Neil meant to select your rushes folder in the Project window and right click 'make offline'...

far from ideal solution if you have a lot of media in various places....

I saved a copy of project before i made full res rushes offline, so i could go back to master project file without having to do relinking....

It would make sense if the 'toggle proxy' button would include exporting from proxies too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines