Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick Downscale Question

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I've been trying to wrap my head around this and can't quite come up with an answer. If I have 4K footage that I am scaling to 110% (for fake camera movement purposes) on a 4K Premiere Pro timeline and I then export that timeline to a 4K file and upload it to YouTube, I am obviously losing quality in that 4K file because of the 110% scale. When I upload that same file to YouTube and play that same 110% scaled 4K video file at 1440p resolution playback on YouTube (as a result of the YouTube transcode), will the 1440 version of that video file also have a loss of quality like the 4K file will (YouTube compression aside)? Basically I am trying to figure out whether or not working on a 4K timeline, scaling in, and then watching the same video on YouTube at 1440 playback will result in a loss of quality (because of that 110% scale) like the 4K file will. Hope this makes sense - thanks in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

BMACadelic  wrote

Basically I am trying to figure out whether or not working on a 4K timeline, scaling in, and then watching the same video on YouTube at 1440 playback will result in a loss of quality (because of that 110% scale) like the 4K file will.

The answer is yes, if the 1440p version is created from the 4K export -  any artifacts introduced by over-scaling the source files in the sequence will be present in the exported file (plus any additional artifacts created by the compression codec

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BMACadelic  wrote

Basically I am trying to figure out whether or not working on a 4K timeline, scaling in, and then watching the same video on YouTube at 1440 playback will result in a loss of quality (because of that 110% scale) like the 4K file will.

The answer is yes, if the 1440p version is created from the 4K export -  any artifacts introduced by over-scaling the source files in the sequence will be present in the exported file (plus any additional artifacts created by the compression codec change and/or rescaling done in the export.

Whether or not that artifact is apparent to YouTube viewers would depend on the size of the display they are watching the video on - a small smartphone screen will display less apparent artifact than a large computer monitor.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply, MTD! That makes sense. I'm probably overthinking this - but if pixels are duplicated during an upscale, would they not be removed in a transcoded downscale? Thus removing any artifacting? Just trying to learn the "why" now. Thanks for the assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the 4k is somewhat less important why not put the 4K in a 1920x1080 timeline.

Lots of room to scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not every shot needs to be panned/scaled and I would therefore like to preserve the 4K quality of the regular 4K shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines