• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quicktime export drops quality when exported with captions

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export a video with closed captions and I have to embed it in the file. I have it to where I can do that through a quicktime but when I export it the footage is very grainy unless I put it at an insanely high bitrate that makes the file size huge. I know it's not the video because exporting without the captions it looks great, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it with the captions intact. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it to where I can do that through a quicktime but when I export it the footage is very grainy unless I put it at an insanely high bitrate that makes the file size huge.

By @Brittney21829468i7wr

Through QuickTime? How does it look if you export it directly from Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*as a Quicktime

Sorry bad phrasing. I'm exporting it as a Quicktime through Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*as a Quicktime

Sorry bad phrasing. I'm exporting it as a Quicktime through Premiere.

By @Brittney21829468i7wr

Got it!

Post a screen shot of the Export Settings dialog with details. (See the attached image)

Averdahl_0-1647291623668.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export Settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Brittney21829468i7wr

It seems that you are using an older version of Premiere Pro since the ability to export H.264 in a .mov container was removed several versions ago. It was removed for a good reason, bad quality being one of them.

If you want to export a H.264 file, change the Exporter from QuickTime to H.264 in the Export Settings dialog. This will give you a .mp4 file and if you really want i .mov file it´s often as simple a s just renaming the file from FileName.mp4 to FileName.mov when the export has finished.

Averdahl_0-1647352837134.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm working in 2017 but the issue is that I need to embed captions into the video and I can't do that as a mp4/ H264. Is there a better codec you'd recommend trying with the quicktime export to have less loss in quality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm working in 2017 but the issue is that I need to embed captions into the video and I can't do that as a mp4/ H264. Is there a better codec you'd recommend trying with the quicktime export to have less loss in quality?

By @Brittney21829468i7wr

If i create CEA-608 captions i can embed them into Apple ProRes and GoPro CineForm but i cannot embedd them into a H.264 file and they won´t carry over if i bring that file into Adobe Media Encoder and transcode it to H.264. Apple ProRes LT offers the smallest file size, but it will be way larger than a H.264 file at 20 Mbps.

Not all kind of caption formats can be embedded.

Averdahl_0-1647355293243.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious: are you sure you have to embed them? H.264 embed is not common, and many deliveries are now sidecar.

The non-QT (non-H.264) embed from PR is mxf op1a.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, we sent them as a sidecar before and they requested we embed them. It's for a tv show and we're captioning ourselves so we have to meet their requirements... 

And I'll give that a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines