• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash when rendering

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When rendering in Premiere Pro CC I get the messge "Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR the program crashes.

-Adobe Premiere Pro CC V 7.0.0 (342)

-ASUS Z87-A, Intel Core i7 4 core, 16gb RAM

-450gb+ disc space

-Also installed: After Effects, Adobe Media Encoder

-All recent updates installed

-Windows7 64bit

-I am using all programs through Creative Cloud

-Footage is AVCHD 720p but doesn't work with .mts or .mp4 files

-I am trying to render speed and simple cross dissolves. Neither are working

-This has happened before on a friend's desktop. I was using his machine to edit on while I was in the process of building mine. He got the same error when I was trying to export. I restarted and the issue was fine. Restarting on my machine has not solved the issue. This leads me to think it is a bug in the program?

-I have been running After Effects and it has worked flawlessly.

Help!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Hi,

This is an old post describing a generic problem. Create a new post with your system details, info about your media, and screenshots of any error dialog boxes you get. Crash reports also help. Feel free to attach those. Sorry for this issue, but with info, it can be solved.

Help documentation may assist this issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering-or.html

This post is locked.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 284 Replies 284
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution that seems to work consistently on all of my machines.  The problem has to do with either the number of processors or hyperthreading.  We have dual 6-core machines with hyperthreading on giving us 24 cores.  I used msconfig to turn off some cores to bring it down to 21 (as per someone else's suggestion) and it fixed the problem for simple sequences but not heavy ones.  After going into the bios and switching hyperthreading off (reducing my cores to 12) the heavy sequences render fine again.  I hope this solution helps others out there as I lost a full day to this problem.

I am using

Dual Xeon X5650 6 core

24GB Ram

Windows 7 Professional

Adobe Premiere CC

Quicktime 7.7.5

I'm pretty sure the versions of premiere and quicktime won't make much of a difference as they all seemed to have this same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With my last PP CC project, I tried the following :

- 1) clean up the database (Media cache and Media cache files),

- 2) delete all preview files,

- 3) change settings of sequence to "Custom" and "AVI" instead of "MPEG only",

- 4) lauch rendering of each sequence (one after one).

Results :

- no error message during rendering (six different sequences),

- duration rendering : about 5 more time,

- preview AVI files very large (more than 300 GB for all preview files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the solution for my particular problem...

-I open the failed export movie in Quicktime to see where it crashed.

-Go back in to the Premiere project and either replace or trim back the original clip and extend the one before it that is on the timeline exactly where the crash keeps occurring.

-Export the timeline again.

This has fixed my "Error Compiling Movie, Unknown Error" problem. I know this error seems to have no one cause but this is the solution that seems to be working for me.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was to turn off MPE (all GPU support).  As soon as I did that, I could render my entire project without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tested this solution some months ago, but the render time became three

time longer.

Now I do the following :

- clean up of Media Cache, Media Cache Files and Preview Files,

- do the rendering.

I encountered no "Unknown Error".

Le 12/05/2014 19:06, vanlazarus2013 a écrit :

>

"Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash when

rendering

created by vanlazarus2013

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/vanlazarus2013> in /Premiere Pro/ -

View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6375994#6375994>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I'm not sure if this will work for you but try going into Sequence Settings and go down to Video Previews and see if the Codec section says something other than what your used to seeing. Try changing it to different codecs. Worked for me i hope it will for you as well. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After checking the different codecs, I could not choose any one : I don't know differences between these codecs and which one works or not with HD.

Some time ago I ask to aAdobe if it is possible to add Sorensen codecs but : no answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED FOR ONE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I had a corrupt video file on my timeline, once I removed it everything worked perfect.   1. Go to timeline hit enter,  render the timeline so green line is above clips,  when you hit the corrupt file  the same annoying pop up warning will appear,  the file that had trouble rendering is the corrupt file   remove it    that worked for me  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lost days of work with this issue. There does not seem to be one fix. I have tried all of the usual fixes (delete previews, media cache, etc) Not one thing works. It seems like I just have to get luck when exporting.

For instance, this is a simple project. The timeline is about 6 minutes of Canon MXF format video. The only non Adobe plugin is Red Giant Magic Bullet one about 12 out of the 30 clips. Render 1 through AME resulted in white lines for about 5 frame popping up randomly throughout the 6 minute video.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.15.45 AM.png

Rendering direct from Premiere resulted in the video popping in random garbage, sometimes a title that isn't actually there, but the lower their graphic is fine.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 9.00.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling any GPU rendering (use software only)?  That was the silver bullet for me.  Never hit that render bug since.  Renders are slower, but I still save many dozens of hours... cause renders actually complete without monkeying around for hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vanlazarus2013 wrote:

Have you tried disabling any GPU rendering (use software only)?  That was the silver bullet for me.  Never hit that render bug since.  Renders are slower, but I still save many dozens of hours... cause renders actually complete without monkeying around for hours.

Yes. I did try software only on the previous project that had this same issue and it didn't help. I've now tried Software Only, CUDA, and OpenCL, all with no differences. I tried variations too like having GPU on in AME but Software Only in PPro and vice versa. No luck. I'd totally take slower render times vs. all this mess. Its now 3pm pacific time and I started this drama at 6am this morning. Non-stop. So I finally was able to export the videos without any issues 9 hours later. 9 hours! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's over, but since this is two projects in a row that suddenly have this issue I am dreading my next export. I've said it before but I'll say it again, it makes no sense that this is happening all of a sudden as our projects are all the same. Same cameras, codecs, no 3rd party effects, basic stuff. There's nothing different between this project and the previous 100. This time I had to replace clips (stinks) and remove warp stabilizer on a few clips to make it render. Oh, and before this I NEVER rendered my videos in two years. That's probably 100-150 videos with no issues and no need to render. And now, two in a row with this error. Adobe staff, if you are aware of this and think there may be hope yet in the upcoming update or something please let us know. Hell, I'll even take an annoying workaround at this point. Sure beats having to suddenly change my edits just to avoid a random unknown software error.

Until next time...sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After changing to Software Only, did you clear all caches and previews?  If anything old is left, I think you'll still be screwed.  One time, I tried Software Only and the problem remained.... then I deleted all of Adobe cache files and the bug never happened again (until I tried GPU again).  But as you said, there seems to be multiple issues, so this might not solve it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vanlazarus2013 wrote:

After changing to Software Only, did you clear all caches and previews?  If anything old is left, I think you'll still be screwed.  One time, I tried Software Only and the problem remained.... then I deleted all of Adobe cache files and the bug never happened again (until I tried GPU again).  But as you said, there seems to be multiple issues, so this might not solve it for you.

I think so...but I'm not 100% certain on that one. That day I was in a bit of a panic as the video was to be screened that day at a wedding and it wasn't exporting. I tried like 15 different things and I know I did erase all media cache and the database, but if that was AFTER switching to software only, I can't recall. I'll try that again next time. (I can't believe I'm saying "next time"...seriously...what could possibly be the root of this issue?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, have tried the software only export in AME. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the export fails "Error compiling movie" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but have you deleted all of Adobe's temp files before trying Software Only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/21/os-x-10-9-3-breaking-mac-pro-graphics-card-compatibility-with-critical...

After a few weeks of pulling my hair out here is what fixed this issue for me:

Go to FILE, PROJECT SETTINGS, GENERAL, change the render to SOFTWARE. This will bypass the graphics card for exporting. The good news, it will export without the issues. The bad news, it will take a while depending on the project scale, effects applies, etc.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Don't worry, this is the same status with PC : same random error.

One solution is the same : disable the MPE.

So it is obvious that the cause is inside the CUDA software and probably

also in the Medias Cache and Medias Cache Files which has to be cleaned

up before render.

Le 09/06/2014 22:56, denniscarrollAV a écrit :

>

"Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash when

rendering

created by denniscarrollAV

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/denniscarrollAV> in /Premiere Pro/ -

View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6445667#6445667>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Error compiling movie. Unknown Error." OR program crash when rendering

i found the solution if you have two diffrent files type in the timeline. I have files from 5d mark ii and DNxHD from resolve. I could not play them (DNxHD) on the timeline (screen was frozen) when i was getting this error rendering it. So the solution for me is to save project and close premiere. Then run the project again and try play them stright (DNxHD) on the timeline, if they are playing colectly there is no more error if not you have to find out another solution. One save one close and straight play works for me. This works too with Neat Denoiser plugin.

Sorry for my poor english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same issue, I changed the output "Format" in the Export media/export settings, and it worked. Maybe I was lucky, but give it a try.

Good luck.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charly,

Changing the "format" would work as the problem is only when saving quicktime files.  This is a quicktime-specific problem only though and if you need a quicktime the solution I've written above is the only way I've found to get it working again.

//Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ryan!

I changed it to have the timeline rendered, not to create a movie file (I didn't want to export, yet).

I was mixing MXF and 264 mov files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem. When trying to render or export I got the "error compiling movie" notification. I did some troubleshooting clip by clip and when I boiled it down I discovered that one clip with the "warp stabilizer" effect was the issue. When I deleted the effect I was able to render and export like normal. Maybe go through your clips and see if it's one effect or another that is hanging you up.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I never use this effect : too slow and clips "paste".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys on the new version of Premiere Pro 2014? Just curious if that new version still has this issue? I haven't upgraded yet as I was waiting for the first bug release/update which just came out to make sure all the "kinks" were out. Hopefully. The bizarre thing about this bug is that it never occured for the first 1.5 years of me using Premiere Pro and for months into the last version of PrPro. In that time I had many projects with no issues at all. Then, suddenly, the error hit on projects that were NO different than previous ones, and I ended up having to always export with "Software Only" on both the timeline and in AME for it to not have the issue. We use hundreds of warp stabilizers on each project and it didn't seem to have any obvious effect on this error. I miss the days of faster exports. Software Only is SOOO slow. Although having no error is definitely worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing this trouble I guess that it is due to CUDA but not to Adobe :

the render never crash with "Software only".

Another way to improve the rendering time is to overclock the CPU from

3.2 to 3.9 GHz. With this settings I do not need watercooling and my

computer works well.

Three months ago I asked Nvidia : I am still waiting an answer.

Did anybody encounter this trouble with an AMD GPU ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines