• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Replace with After Effects Composition" greyed out using CC - WHY??

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am doing a project in Premiere Pro CC but need to dynamic link to After Effects CC.  The "replace with After Effects Composition" button is greyed out and I can't understand why, both are installed!

I still have Premiere Pro CS6 and AE CS6 installed, because they contain plug-ins I use regularly, could this be causing an issue? I can't think why it would.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rick

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

We created a visual walkthrough of this issue and how to fix it! Hope it helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen anyone mention anything about trying to "dynamic link" from After Effects to pull the composition.

I had the "Replace....." greyed out also, but as one of the staff, Vinay D. suggested--

"Are you able to launch premiere pro cc from after effects, please try and check what happens when you go to after effects file menu>dynamic link."

I tried that ^ and it worked. Maybe the advice got buried too quickly to be seen. Anyway, I came here with the same issue and it got resolved. Thanks Vinay Dwivedl.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey i had the same problem and i found something that works for me.
The icons havent updated yet so i opened Premier pro 2018 instead of 2019, when i opened the project in 2019 and tried to use dynamic link it worked.

Im using it on mac tho.

And i uninstalled AE 2018 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me.  I had updated my Premiere pro to CC 2019 but my After Effects version was still CC 2018.  As soon as I update AE I was able to use Dynamic Link and "Replace with After Effects Composition" was no longer greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. These apps are so expensive but also buggy. I spend most of my time not working but trying to fix bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got help from Adobe to get it fixed. If you use the latest versions of PP and AE from Creative Cloud you just need to install the previous versions:

PP 14.0.4 and AE 17.0.5. These versions work together.

But it is strange that Adobe hasn't fixed this problem yet with the newest versions. It must be very common that creators work with both PP and AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AE17.6.0 and PP14.8.0 and they don't work.

I can use the dynamic lick option in my AE(in the File menu) which opens a project in Premiere Pro.

But I can't use the 'replace with after effect composition' and 'Adobe dynamic link(in the File menu)' which are in Premiere Pro, they're greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We created a visual walkthrough of this issue and how to fix it! Hope it helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AE17.6.0 and PP14.8.0 and they don't work.

I can use the dynamic lick option in my AE(in the File menu) which opens a project in Premiere Pro.

But I can't use the 'replace with after effect composition' and 'Adobe dynamic link(in the File menu)' which are in Premiere Pro, they're greyed out. Please help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't know if that's your case, but I discovered that you can't use Replace with After Effects composition unless you have some visual media - it doesn't work when you have audio only in Premiere Pro. But if  you add something, e.g. a simple rectangle, suddenly this option is available. It's not very convenient and creates unnecessary compositions within AE project, but it works.

PatriciaO_1-1645528921688.png

PatriciaO_0-1645528776583.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't helpful at all when I'm on the current version of both AE and Premiere and I'm still getting this error. I've uninstalled, reinstalled and restarted the computer numerous times over the past 2 days and nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For others having the issue like me - may be due to using PP beta .. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines