Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing a footage with a sequence

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Community,

I want to ask some help with regards on how to replace a edited video with a sequence. Is that possible? I was planning on replacing the audio for the video with a new one Can you please help me

Thanks

Keane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We may need a little more info. Are you just adding to or changing the audio? If so you can either do that in the sequence itself by adding new tracks and muting the originals that you no longer need. Or you could place the edited sequence in a new sequence and mute that audio and add in the new audio. That would have the advantage that you would not accidentally change the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To give more detail, I have a sequence that contains a video that has some cuts, trims, effects, etc. The edits are on the clip not the sequence itself.

My problem is how do i retain the splices, trims, and effects when i plan to only update the audio of the video. In sense I firstly edited a .mp4 video. And I want to replace its audio with a wav file while maintaining the edits i made.

Thanks for the reply brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So either of the above methods will work. You can also lock the video tracks in the current sequence so they will not move. The advantage of using the current sequence is that you can see the layout of your edits. The advantage of using a nested sequence would be that you could be sure of not changing anything in the work you have done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So either of the above methods will work.

Actually, neither will work in this case.

The simplest method to get the desired results is probably to create a new sequence with the full .mp4 clip, add the new audio to that new sequence and sync it up.  Then mute the original audio and export as a new file.  (I recommend Cineform.)  Finally, Replace the original .mp4 with the new Cineform file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

Actually, neither will work in this case.

I don't see why "neither will work" or how your reply is any simpler.

Tim: At least try Brian's method also. You have an edited sequence that you don't want to change — yet for all we know, you have some things you might want to change later, like update a title or change the duration of a transition. So you may want to be able to get back to those edits in the original sequence. Right-click the sequence item in the Project panel and choose New Sequence From Clip. This creates a new, nested sequence in the Timeline panel. If you double-click the "clip" in that new sequence, the original sequence will appear in a new tab, revealing all of your edits. Now either mute the audio track in the new sequence or do so in the original sequence. Add your new audio track to the nested sequence and adjust/align it as needed to match the sequence length, etc. Export and you're done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why "neither will work" or how your reply is any simpler.

Because Tim is asking how to replace the camera audio with new audio after editing.  Brian's methods won't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought he was wanting to add a "soundtrack" to an edited video - not replace synced sound. My methods will do the former, not the latter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating. I had to read this several times before I agreed with Jim. Tim will have to let us know what he intended. But his second post points to his trying to replace the audio in the ORIGINAL clip, not the edited product:

The "its" appears to refer to the video clip: "...And I want to replace its audio with a wav file while maintaining the edits i made."

As to why that matters rather than just replacing the final, it could be that the second audio he has needs the same cuts etc as the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 years later and Premier Pro still lacks this ability. Will need to add it to the requested features. 
Essentially if you are not nesting eveything eveytime you will run into this issue one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, After Effects has it, but Premiere still not???
So many years?
Awesome

Is it different Companies??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines