Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate in source panel?

Engaged ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video was shot upside down so now I want to preview it in

the source panel, but I dont see how to rotate it there.

Must I put it in the timeline, rotate it, save it all over again

as a new file, import, and THEN view it in source?

Thanks anyone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Use a Master Clip effect:

Apply Master Clip effects in Premiere Pro

Use the Transform effect (Effects > Video Effects > Distort > Transform) to rotate.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a Master Clip effect:

Use the Transform effect (Effects > Video Effects > Distort > Transform) to rotate.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Doesn't that put me right back in the timeline?
I was hoping just for a quick review of the footage?
And then the effect doesn't seem to save unless I
export to saved footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Zeeeee  wrote

Thanks,

Doesn't that put me right back in the timeline?

Did you read

Master Clip effects are applied to the source clip in the source monitor, and they stay with/always are applied to the source clip so that as you use the clip for viewing and for use in the timeline, the change you want is always displayed.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I dragged the effect directly onto the file in project panel and it sticks !

Excellent thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply the effect to all clips in the project panel in one go. No need to do them one by one.

Apply the masterclip effect to one clip, set parameter, copy the effect and paste on the clips in the Project Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT solved. If you use the Transform effect to rotate the master clip the Source Monitor remains at the original rotation. How do you accomplish this so that the source monitor rotation matches the master clip??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resizing the SM panel or changing the zoom level to "Fit", or both. Does that get you what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did both and no change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do what you're asking, if I understand correctly.

I suspect it's because when Pr imports the clip, it reads the clip's metadata, which says it is X pixels wide by Y pixels high. When you rotate the image, it rotates within that original frame.

It's just like if you had a portrait-oriented sequence and rotated the clip horizontally within that. You'd get the same result.

Although it will shrink the image, you can use the Scale property in the same Transform effect that you used to Rotate the clip to view the entire image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. I'm having the same issue working with vertical footage shot on a Sony A7riii (which doesn't auto-rotate video to portrait) and while the footage comes out on the sequence fine, I want the source window to allow me to apply a -90degree rotation as a master effect and still browse it as normal (not cropped, as in your screenshot). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT solved. If you use the Transform effect to rotate the master clip the Source Monitor remains at the original rotation. How do you accomplish this so that the source monitor rotation matches the master clip??

By @trappephoto

Well it is solved for the original poster who dropped the question.

Are we talking rotation or orientation?

Source monitor does not read the masterclip but rather the original clip.

Correct the orientation of the clip in your phone (assuming its your phone) before bringing it into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing a lot of Instagram reels and needed this too. On a similar thread, this guy answered the question, but im still working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - so it seems you simply just can't properly rotate a video and watch it before putting it in your timeline. crazy to type this while talking about premiere pro - a pro video editing tool..... davinci here I come. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be a bug.  It was working fine for me a week ago and now I am experiecing this exact problem too.  This is a big deal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you happen to be on MacOS go to System Preferences > Extensions, and in the sidebar, click "Finder" and make sure there is a checkmark in the box for "Rotate Left".

Now go to your folder with all of your footage and select all. Then Right-Click or Control+Click the files and pull down to "Quick Actions" and choose "Rotate Left".

If you need to Rotate the Images to the right then hold down the Option Key after you right-click the files and pull down to Quick Actions and you'll get "Rotate Right"

The faster way is to select all your files and do "Command+R" to Rotate the images Left. and Command+Option+R" to Rotate them Right.

I have no idea if Windows computers have this ability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hero I needed!! Thank you sir! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HA! Hardly a hero, but I'm glad to have helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!! Non of the other options found for this problem are the simple one that you provided!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines