• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving caption / subtitle "style" for use in other projects?

Engaged ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I must be missing something incredibly obvious.

My basic understanding of the new captioning system in 15.0 is that when you click "Create new caption track" in the Text pane, you should then be able to select a saved "Style" within the "New caption track" settings window that opens.  

The only option I have under "Style" is "none".  So I select "none", then get the captions looking exactly as I want in the Essential Graphics pane, then under "Track Style" I select "Create Style," give it a name, and there it is.

But then with a new project I don't see any way to select that style I already created.  The only option under "style" when creating a caption track is once again "none".  

Is there a way to import a saved style to use in all projects?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

You can do this now... In the Essential Graphics panel, under edit, there is a "Track Styles" option. You can create a track style or load one of your presets. Makes it very easy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've discovered I can export the style "clip" that appears in the Project pane after saving a style in the essential graphics pane.  When that is exported to a specified location on my machine, I can then open a new project and import that same "clip" (the .prtextstyle file) into the project pane.  Then the style is recognized as a valid option when creating a new caption track.

Surely this can't be the way it's supposed to work.  Why wouldn't Premiere be able to save that same .prtextstyle file itself when it's created, and make it available across all projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol. You are catching on fast. Absolutely, that is the way we'd all like it. Since it is working correctly, as far as it goes, it isn't a bug. It's a ...

Feature Request. In this case, I do not see one. I filed it.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43002642-caption-track-styl...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20 months later and there still isn't a way to do this? And your "Feature Request" link doesn't work anymore, so there is no where I can check to be sure it is still a request. It is crazy to me that we still don't have this. Seems so obvious and basic. And based on this thread there is clearly a need/want for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each project is its own thing. Metadata for that project stored within it, except for some Preferences and Presets which PrPro will store elsewhere. And in this case, they don't have it set to record captions styles as presets elsewhere yet.

Stan's UserVoice request is spot-on. And the way we can show the need for this change.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insanity.  

It really is stunning that countless hours can go into revamping captions, yet none of the developers said, "Wait a minute, these new styles should function like presets."

But then, these are the same developers who said, "From this day forward caption backgrounds can only be a rectangle as long as the longest line of captions.  If you want your company's new content to match existing content created with Premiere...too bad.  Change your brand's visual identity rules or change editing software."

Sorry.  Needing to vent.  I've basically worked salary-free for Adobe for the past two weeks documenting bugs (or what turn out to be thoughtless oversights), and it's so frustrating to contemplate the short-sighted decisions they make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watching this evolve through the public Beta was an education in itself. My belief is that the first priority was to get Track styles implemented. They had an option for saving and sharing (from disk file), and planned to move toward a library option. That just didn't happen before the release.

Reworking the caption workflow is a huge project. But I believe they want every bit of feedback to prioritize next steps.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, we've all vented at times! Feel free, we'll not only listen but will sympathize. I've certainly posted some rants here that dwarf yours!

That said I do agree with Stan. They thought this was enough of an improvement over their (to me and many others) abysmal previous captions process they went ahead and shipped what they had up and running at this time.

And they knew full well there were many changes they were going to need to make. Many of them as soon as they could get them instituted in safely working code.

And it seems they figured that the easiest way to find out what changes were needed was by getting this out and then checking their UserVoice system for what users were asking for or complaining about. That's the system that Adobe corporate set up to get the metrics to their M&E ... marketing & experience ... people. Those folks are on the upper-management 'chain' above the individual programs, and oversee budgets & planning for the programs.

It's an odd way to work for many of us users, but ... it's their way. I've already been "over there" for upvoting a fair number of requests concerning captions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread today searching for an answer via Google, and there's actually a way easier way to do this (at least in the latest version of Premiere, I don't know if it was always there):

1. Click and drag the .prtextstyle file into Premiere's the Project window where you're storing your assets.

2. It will now show up in your captions Track Styles list when you use the dropdown again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution is effectively exactly the same as the procedure outlined in the comment marked "correct answer" to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I misread your post. I was in a hurry on a 30-minute volunteer project at the time, trying to wrap it up before work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are, two years later, and this still hasn't been fixed. But, I have discovered something of a work-around.

The easiest thing to do to avoid hand-jamming the style into each new project is to:

1. Create a subtitle track in your new project.

2. Open a previous project where the "Track Style" you want is saved.

3. Copy and paste a subtitle from that project into the new project.

4. Open "Essential Graphics" and the "Save" the style again in the new project.

5. Transcribe & caption your new project audio in the newly saved style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag and drop once vs. opening an old project, copy/pasting, then saving the style in the new project?  I'll stick with simply dragging the style clip from a folder on the computer to the project panel of Premiere.  Job done.

It's simpler still because I use Post Haste for new projects, so my template project already has the style preset in the project panel. 

Still, Adobe should fix the silly oversite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, it's a little simpler than all that messing around indicated by Luke above - you can just take the "Style" files from the Project panel and copy them straight into another project's Project panel without having to bother with the rigamarole of exporting, but still doesn't solve the problem that these should be locally saved presets. Your solution works best if you need a caption style to apply to more than, say, two or three projects in a short timespan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later and this is still an issue - we cannot save the custom Track Styles we make. 😆 Come on, Adobe. Please add the functinality to save these Track Styles as a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Create Style... greyed out under Track Style? Are they almost ready to implement a local save? Super fustrating to not be able to save a caption style to just re-use. I make 3-20 videos a day and I have to manually remake each caption style? C'mon man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryan, you probably have more than one caption selected. Select only one and the Create Style will be active.

See this post for more information about styles:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-15-edit-rename-delete-captions-...

The best workaround when reusing multiple Caption Track Styles is to select the ones you want, right-click and export, save it where you want. Then drag that file to the Project Panel for a new project - it will import all the styles.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do this now... In the Essential Graphics panel, under edit, there is a "Track Styles" option. You can create a track style or load one of your presets. Makes it very easy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines