• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Problem In Premiere Pro CC 2018

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my Premiere program to the Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 version. For some reason whenever I decide to Save As... a video project I'm working on, all the panels disappear after I click to save. From what I can tell it isn't saving when this happens. Does anyone know why this is happening?

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

What steps are you doing when this happens?  The only way to use the SAVE AS command is to save your project to a NEW FILE NAME, one that does not exist.  If you try using the SAVE AS command with an existing file name you will have the issue that you describe.  This should not be happening but it does.

To SAVE a file to and EXISTING FILE NAME use the SAVE command ONLY!

Please let me know in detail the steps that are taking when the issue occurs for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this.  It just works for me on Windows 10 Pro (1703).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not helping, Jim !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOUBLE CLICK ANY VIDEO IN THE BIN AND IT WILL POPULATE ALL SAVED WORK IN YOUR TIMELINE! Trust me, I broke my brain over this one. But this is the fix. Don't know why. Don't know how. I just know that it WORKS. I'm on an IMAC fyi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOD BLESS YOU I WAS ABOUT TO LOSE MY MIND!!! Thank you so much a literal lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANKS JIM IT WORKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much , this was correct !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried resetting preferences, and it worked for about 10 videos then just saved a project and the panels went blank. Re opened the project file and ALL MY WORK HAD GONE! the imported media was still in the bin, but timeline completely gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try double clicking on the Sequence in the Project Panel to re-open it?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the project windows was empty, there was nothing to click on. The whole thing was empty. after resetting all panels to defaults still nothing on any tabs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem, using Save As seemed to erase my work completely, but checking the file i noticed the file size was still the same. I found this thread and then i opened the project that i thought was lost and clicked on the sequence in the project bin and it all came back! It appears that Premiere removes your sequence when you use "Save AS" and you have to manually click on it to restore it afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

s51. Re: Saving Problem In Premiere Pro CC 2018

jeffb41451362

I had exactly the same problem, using Save As seemed to erase my work completely, but checking the file i noticed the file size was still the same. I found this thread and then i opened the project that i thought was lost and clicked on the sequence in the project bin and it all came back! It appears that Premiere removes your sequence when you use "Save AS" and you have to manually click on it to restore it afterwards.

i'm having this same problem after using "save as"-----I see a sequence but all of my clips are merged together into one clip....do you know how I can get the individual clips/ music/ text separated again into individual clips on my timeline and not one long merged (?) clip??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues too. Every time I open up a project, all the media is there, but the actual work in the timeline is gone. I need this program for work and have short deadlines. I cannot re-edit every single project I save and reopen. I have tried saving the projects multiple times. If I open a project from CC 2017 it works just fine. It's really just anything I have done in 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem smfh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me just like you described it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this very problem crop up yesterday. The only things that's changed since it PP worked was the new Adobe updates from yesterday. Whether it's Save or Save as, PP seems to save normally, but then closes out the project so that you have to reopen the file you just saved. However, when you open it, the timeline is then empty along with all your hard work. If not for the auto save God only knows how many hours of work would have been lost.

A pit we can't pro rate our monthly Adobe fee based on when the products actually work.

If am Adobe competitor ever comes up with a clearly better alternative product, the high Adobe fees along with the chronic unreliability issues may make a significant number of Adobe customers jump ship out of spite--even if Adobe Suite never has another glitch ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is happening to me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on the phone with Adobe 3 times in 2 weeks. There is a problem with "Save as" and save as copy.  Both crash my system and i have to reboot each time. I've tried to go back to 2017....and I have an codec issue. I can do nothing now. According to Adobe you can only "Save". I don't believe them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not tried Save A Copy in 2018 yet, but Save As works just fine for me on Windows 10 Pro (1703).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OKAY SO... I did a live chat with Adobe. They did remote access to my computer, she manually deleted my preferences (from the systems folder I believe. Don’t try this yourself if you don’t know how to do this). I was having problems with my timeline being erased when I reopened a project. This was solved by double clicking around the media in the bin. There didn’t seem to be any indicator of which file held my project. It no longer does this, but if this sounds confusing, it was. Basically if I double clicked anything in the media bin that had video in it, it would replace everything on the timeline with that video and audio, but if I clicked the clip in the media bin with the project I saved, then that would replace everything on the timeline. This doesn’t seem to be a new feature. It literally just looks like an issue that will have to be worked out in a later update.

As as far as the crashing during “save as”, it happens to me too. I asked about it, but all I got told was to not “save as” for a file I hav already saved. Just save it normally. I’m assuming they know this is a problem and this is their only course of action as they don’t develop the software. Can’t blame them. So, I guess just either save regularly and exporting are our only options. It’s just annoying because I save certain videos in certain places and have to change the file path sometimes. Luckily I save most things in the same place, but I like to separate work and personal stuff. Guess we just have to wait for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the issue of a total crash trying to "save as" or "save a copy" -- which is a huge issue for my current workflow.  I will routinely save "versions" of my project files for backup and rolling back to previous versions of a project if needed.  In addition to a 5-minute auto-save, and my excessive CTRL-S'ing while I edit, I'll still "save as" before or after a session once in a while.  Inevitably every time, a crash.

It's a little embarrassing to say to a client:  "Sorry, I forgot I can't 'save as', let me just restart and make a copy of your project manually while you wait".  Luckily my clients have a sense of humor, but what if one doesn't?

I'm also getting crashes on other menu items -- is anyone having issues with importing straight into a project/bin?  Media browser seems to work most of the time, but again that's not always my workflow.

Adobe!  Help!  Argh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried the double click and it opened my timeline correctly. SHEW!!!!

Such a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problems at least a month now. This is a pretty profound and infantile bug for a 34-year-old software company to be experiencing. I've never wasted more of my time on customer support chat or phone calls than I have with Adobe. I'm seriously rethinking my options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to edit with Premiere for decades now. The only real time I have had any realistic stability is BETWEEN updates, after you've implemented all the workarounds for the current bugs (that often stay between versions for many updates, minor and major) and you can use the software reasonably reliably for a time.

The biggest problem that is not as widely seen is the utter destruction of productivity caused by what appear to me to be Adobe's disorganized and illogical changes and I'm afraid to say, total lack of usable UI. Professionals are stymied by these choices by Adobe because we can't rely on the product - in the middle of an urgent work timeline you can come across a bug (of which there were remarkably many that persisted through versions) or a UI change from the last version that ends up wasting an hour or more of your time. The Help and Search is so general it is almost completely useless so you're relegated to crawling through community forums and because of the seemingly arbitrary (especially as they don't appear to follow any standard UX guidelines) macro changes to everything (file locations, presets, UI placement, functions) between versions the help for one version is not useful for the help for another version - and the search doesn't distinguish usefully between versions either.

Apologies for ranting on your comment. Adobe needs to address this urgently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines