• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Severe interface lag in Premiere Pro Windows

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest update Premiere Pro (v15.0) is extremely slow sometimes and not usable at all. Main issues are interface errors, where they are not shown or take very long to load.

For example when I want to switch from one editing tab (Editing) to (Graphics) it doesn't make the switch. I waited once to see if it would load at some point, and it did, after 5 minutes... And when loaded the interface there wasn't usable at all, because of slow load times.

I added an image of the tab interface not loading at all.

Playback is not affected and works for 4K footage without proxys. I can't switch the tabs though and sometimes also not open new windows in the same tab. Overlays in the timeline are also not shown like visual snapping feedback and preview of transitions.

What I've done:

- Restart PC and Premiere Pro multiple times

- Clear Media Cache

- Change Media Cache location to bigger drive (Over 1TB free)

Editing worked before without any problems, what could be the problem?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences helped.

Start Premiere Pro with Alt pressed to reset them.

Let's hope this solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After continuing to edit today, the interface is lagging again. A rerender of the interface is triggered when I resize the Adobe Premiere screen, but that is just a bad workaround.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this issue for good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me here 😕 the lagging of my Playhead or the whole UI is so annoying and makes it really unusable.
I got a bug where every 2-3 minutes, my windows aren't "clickable" - When I hit ctrl+s to quick save everything turns back to normal...for the next few seconds until I play my Video again.

I'm on Windows 10 with AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 64GB RAM - and everything's running on M.2 SSDs

Really don't know where the problem is 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...forgot to say I'm working with 2 Monitors on 1080p... but that shouldn't be a problem either, should it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with the same problem. I was wondering if was my notebook, an Acer Nitro 5, but your pc is way more powerful, so I discarded that possibility.

I'm also using 2 monitors 1080p. I tried to unplug, reset, basically did everything I could, and premiere still running slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still having the same problem? 

same thing here 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 128 Ram, great perfomance overall, and Premiere is just useless.

This isn't just a minor issue. It's a major issue that has nothing to do with caches, drives etc.

Literally, it feels like the main menu was being run by a 30 year old processor. Sometimes it takes 10 clicks to save my project, and 10 attempts to see the File or Edit drop down menu.

Any chance Adobe can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing lag in 2023. Fresh Premiere Pro install, Macbook Pro 16" and Windows PC with i7 13700k/GTX2080TI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rob,

Sorry to hear about this. Do you experience lag with the interface, playback, or both? What's the exact version of Premiere Pro (Here's how to check)? Do you see this issue with specific projects or source files? Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any and all projects. Version 23.2.0 (Build 69).

Deleting preferences fixed the issue temporarily, but it didn't last long before it went back to the same poor performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... Been working with Premiere on my DELL Notebook for over 6 months but suddenly today I am experiencing the same problem as reported by others. 
What 'fixes' it is going from PREMIERE in full-screen into a slightly less big window... 
But it still is anoying to experience this... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing this right now!!! HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Could you share more details on the issue? Do you see this issue with specific projects and source files? Which version of Premiere Pro you're currently working on? We're here to help. Just need some more info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm experiencing the same issue, it started happening just yesterday, don't know why, anyways... For me the playback is running fine, but I can't move the playhead on the timeline, I can't drag, cut, edit or do anything at all on the timeline, searching in effects panel takes up to minute or two. While approaching or clicking on anything with the cursor it seems to not respond and highlight any buttons at all.
The issue didn't come right away while starting the app, it came midthrough the editing, let's say 30 minutes.
Another time while having the issue it suddenly disappeared.
Hope this information helps, if not I could screen record the issue if it's not fixed till then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jacob,

That must be frustrating. Could you let us know which Premiere Pro version you're working on? What happens when you close and reopen the Sequence? Does that temporarily fix the interface lag? Please share your system specifications (OS, OS version, CPU, GPU, RAM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say I've been having similar issues. There's just noticeable lag on most actions. Drag a clip and the cursor moves for a second before the clip jumps and catches up. Ripple delete a gap and wait a bit for it to close. Hit the "L" key and wait sometimes, 5, 6 seconds before playback starts. Everything just feels very laggy.

Windows 10 (all updates installed, whatever current version is)

AMD 5950

Nvidia 4090

128GB RAM

Premiere installed to one SSD with the all previews and media cache on another SSD, and the footage on yet another. All NVME, all capable of over 2GB/S read speeds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible! Same issues here on my Mac. It's not even a Windows or Mac thing. I work on the latest version 23.4.0 

and playback or direct manipulation on the sequence/timeline becomes slower and slower the longer I work on the project, really frustrating. Tried restarting my mac or Premiere. It helps a bit in the beginning but then it gets worse again. The premier 22 version was much faster and worked fine for me. I think I don't have a choice but to start new project on the older version again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @cschodt48 any improvements two months further? I'm experiencing the same issues and i'm almost losing my mind over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did someone mark your comment as the "Correct Answer"?

This problem is definintely still ongoing. It's worse in larger projects, and with certain file formats, but even standard workflows like proxies doesn't improve much. My solution has been to edit more in Davinci Resolve because Premiere makes me want to tear my hair out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that there hasn't been any improvement on your end. I think you're right indeed about the larger project theory.

My current solution is to start an entirely new project and then import the previous project into it. This seems to be working for now (I only started doing this yesterday, lol), but I'm uncertain how long it will remain effective.

I'm also planning to explore the option of converting my h.264 footage into ProRes.

Or Adobe could just fix this whole thing!

(By the way, I have no idea why the author of this post marked my answer as correct.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also recently started having this issue as well. It only started happening when I created a nested sequence. All of a sudden the UI started to lag but not any of the functionality. So the play would work and I could select things but the UI wasn't updating.

I am using 2 monitors as well, and it's really strange because only the main window is lagging but the secondary window isn't. I have the source window, program window, timeline, tools, and audio meter on the main window. And my second window has audio clip mixer, audio track mixer, effects panel, info panel, project panel, properties panel.

PC Specs

Ram: 64GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: 4080

Storage: 1tb NVME ssd, 4tb HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh also version 23.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I found a workaround. So like I said in the post. The main window isn't updating for some reason and the secondary window is. So I just moved all the panels to the secondary window and it's working now. But this also means that it does have something to do with how the UI is being rendered in premiere. I hope a support person sees this and communicates that to the engineering team. Legitimately was not able to do anything when the UI only updated when I interacted with it, with my mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tobias5DD1 Any updates from your end? Are you still using Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines