Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow import of OBS recorded MP4 file

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I have a problem with my OBS recorded video that I don't have with similar Bandicam recorded video. The import is immensely slow. The harddrive is running, so I know that PP is doing something, but I have absolutely no idea what it is. Changing difference settings like colorspace, range and so on doesn't change. Importing a similar video recorded with Bandicam gets imported almost instantly. I have tried in the latest versions of both PP 2019 and 2020.

The settings I am using in OBS is:
NVENC (New) with CBR 100 Mbps, keyframe interval 1 sec, Max quality and High profile.
I also have I444 color format, color space 709 and full color range. Changing all of these settings independently and then testing the import, didn't make any difference.

In Bandicam I use the NVENC encoder with High444 profile at CBR 100 Mbps.

The MediaInfo for the Bandicam file is:
ID : 1 Format :

AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High 4:4:4 Predictive@L5

Format settings : 1 Ref Frames Format settings,

CABAC : No Format settings,

Reference frames : 1 frame

Format settings, GOP : N=1

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration : 4 min 59 s Bit rate : 99.8 Mb/s

Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 60.000 FPS

Chroma subsampling : 4:4:4

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.802

Stream size : 3.48 GiB (100%)

Language : English

Encoded date : UTC 2020-01-16 14:48:15

Tagged date : UTC 2020-01-16 14:48:15

Codec configuration box : avcC 

Similarly, the MediaInfo for the OBS file is

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High 4:4:4 Predictive@L5

Format settings : 2 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC : No

Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration : 4 min 59 s

Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 100.0 Mb/s

Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 60.000 FPS

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:4:4

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.804

Stream size : 3.49 GiB (99%)

Color range : Full

Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Codec configuration box : avcC

Is this something that is particular for OBS recorded videoes that I just have to live with, or are there some settings that I can tweek to make the import easier for PP?

Hope that you can help. 

Sincerely, 

Michael Hansen

TOPICS
Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually really interesting.  I've been tracking a bug with Adobe on the handling of h.264 (long-GOP) files that was introduced into Pr sometime last year.  They're still working on fixing it (no ETA) but it's interesting that you're seeing the behavior only with OBS-produced files.  As it turns out, OBS is what I use, as well.  There's gotta be something specific about the h.264 file that OBS is writing that's tripping Pr up.

I'll ping Kevin so he can add your post to the list of reports regarding that bug.  I'd also love it if there was any way you could post up the Bandicam vid somewhere?  I'd like to DL it and see if Pr inhales it quick, very much unlike all of my OBS footage.  Do you have an S3 or Dropbox account or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try and see if I can figure something out. I do have a dropbox, but it doesn't have enough space.

It should be here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vs47lll4q5dndes/rFactor2%202020-01-26%2013-22-26-761.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Michael. I'll forward this on.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the trial for Bandicam and am able to reproduce this with Premiere.  I can't quite tell the difference between the resulting h.264 files; at least nothing that's blatant or obvious.  I am surprised that I absolutely can not get Bandicam to produce a CFR file.  Even though I tell it to specifically do 60FPS/CFR, it comes out variable.  OBS has absolutely no problems maintaining a solid 60FPS constant.

Either way, the Bandicam vid gets imported into Premiere in a snap, but the OBS one takes a moment.  And Premiere goes "Not Responding" while doing so, per the bug that's filed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this?

Am having a real hard time getting OBS recordings to import into Pr and then when the file goes in there after waiting way to long for it to import it is very difficult to even mess with the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. If I import any mp4 from OBS to Premiere Pro, I need to wait ~5 Minutes or more, that this file was import. I have 64GB RAM and the file mp4 file has 19,1GB. Dispkspace (Samsung M.2) free 161GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines