• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Speed/Duration showing in frames instead of time

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the latest update when I want to change the Speed/Duration of my clips Premier Pro is showing the duration in frames instead of how it was before i.e. in time (hours, minutes, seconds). Anyone else have that issue and know how to fix it? 

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

If you shot on dedicated hardware then you likely would be getting a standard framerate from that. Whatever you picked in your camera settings it should stay like that, so that'd be unlikely that it had anything to do with it.

You did mention multiple containers, though, so is there other footage coming from something like a phone?

Also, regardless, you can confirm this issue by looking at the framerate of the sequence. Is is a standard framerate? If it's not you can change the framerate to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your sequence set to display?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I manually set my sequence to display audio time units otherwise it shows me frames. I like to make 30 seconds clips so at least that way I see how long my clip is after I changed the speed/duration. Before the update I could slide to 30 seconds and I was done. In other words, no matter what my sequence shows, the speed/duration is always in frames.

Many thanks for your help!

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing to frames and see if that changes the Speed/Duration dialog?

I don't know if the Preferences options for displaying time affect this dialog.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that but it didn't change the dialog, and I can't find anything in the Preferences either.

Do you think a resinstallation of the software help?

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manon, let us know if you got this sorted.

> I manually set my sequence to display audio time units otherwise it shows me frames.

Did @ali Jaber's post help? I'll add more context. I was a bit confused, because I thought this was a general setting for the timeline, but it is, as Ali points out, a sequence setting.

There are 2 places to set the timeline display to frames (or regular timecode etc). They both appear to work the same and affect only the current sequence - not all the sequences on the timeline.

One method of changing the frames setting is the Sequence Settings that Ali shows. You can also right click on the time display in the timeline and get the same choices.

Setting the "Show Audio Time Units" shows regular timecode with the frames changed to audio units (or milliseconds), but DOES NOT override the frames settings in the sequence settings.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your source clips Image Sequences or Video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import either an .mp4 or a .mov at the creation of the project and it becomes a sequence in Premier Pro but this is what I've always done. Thanks!

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Neil suggested, in the "Sequence Settings" set the "Display Format" to the first one:

display format.png

Choosing Frames here does affect speed duration dialogue box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know much about the media that you're working with, but here's another consideration:

You only see timecode for standard framerates. If you're working with variable framerate media or other non-standard framerates then the timeline - and presumably all other features of the timeline/media that would display the timestamps of the media - would be locked to frames.

You said you have media in an .mp4 or .mov container, and while that doesn't say a whole lot, those are containers that can contain commonly variable framerate media, such as what you'd get from a phone. So if you start your sequence from a phone clip with VFR, you may not see a standard timecode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip,

As an example, the last footage I shot (Lumix GH6) was in .mp4 (4K, 10bit, 100M, 60p) and my variable frame rate setting was at off. Do you see something in these settings that would trigger frames instead of time? I import the clip and slide the sequence in the timeline and work from there. That's pretty much my work flow. Nothing complicated, I'm not an expert and I know I underuse the software but I did love the ability to shrink quickly my clips to 30 seconds.

Thanks for your answer!

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you shot on dedicated hardware then you likely would be getting a standard framerate from that. Whatever you picked in your camera settings it should stay like that, so that'd be unlikely that it had anything to do with it.

You did mention multiple containers, though, so is there other footage coming from something like a phone?

Also, regardless, you can confirm this issue by looking at the framerate of the sequence. Is is a standard framerate? If it's not you can change the framerate to the nearest standard framerate. Like, if you had a phone clip with an FPS of 28.99 or something wonky like that, then maybe 29.97 or 30 is the FPS you'd want to choose for your sequence. Whatever the intended framerate was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PHILLIP, YOU ARE A GENIUS, TRA-LA-LA!

Thanks everyone for your input and your questions and comments. I learned a thing or two with all your help.

My issue was the framerate of my footage not matching the project's framerate. I'll remember that: the intended framerate.

Thanks again!

Manon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it. Variable Framerate (VFR) media in general is not great for video editing and can cause numerous problems from media pending issues, slower than usual encoding, playback issues, errors, render glitches, audio desync, etc. So, always be a bit wary when you're working with VFR media. Editing software likes Constant Framerate (CFR). You can learn a little bit more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/wiki/faq/vfr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines