• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Speeding up shots with variable frame rates

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since learning that IG converts footage to 30fps, I've recently switched my timelines to 30fps, and shot some foootage 50/30.

I'm trying to adjust the speed of the clips (make them play faster), and I'm losing frames making the footage look choppy. 

Is there a way to adjust the speed of clips shot with variable frame rates and not lose any frames? I'm aware of the different frame blending options, but the final look I get from those options looks too unrealistic to actually use. 

Please help! Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not quite sure what your videos are recorded at. you should leave them at their native fps and use speed/duration in the sequence to speed ramp smoothly or you'll run into glitches in the interpolation.

if frame blend or pixel blend don't work well for speeding up (which is weird because I think you actually mean slowing down) as speeding up frames shouldn't cause jerkyness as there is plenty of frame information. but if you want the best interpolation, you can try the trial topaz that uses machine learning in the optical interpolation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said above, my footage was shot at 50/30, and my timeline is 30, and Im speeding up the clips not slowing them down, that's why I'm confused, and that's why I have posted to this message board. I guess I'll try topaz? ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Handbrake to convert your VFR footage to constant frame rate. Then try the speed change again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the point in using handbrake for this issue because my footage is at a constant frame rate after I export it from premiere. I go through premiere so I can color the footage before I speed ramp it. I'm not speeding anything up past 140% (which theoretically I should have enough frames to keep the speed adjustment smooth, and I've tried as little adjustemnt as 110% and I still have the issue of dropped frames)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your footage is h.264 vfr, premiere doesn't like that footage very much. use handbrake or free shutter encoder to pre-convert it to a friendly video type, then premiere shouldn't have as many issues. but don't use premiere's playback as a reference unless the playback indicator is green(which means the cpu isn't throttled) during playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original footage is BRAW, after I color it I export it OUT OF PREMIERE as quicktime ProRes 422 HQ, and then I import it INTO AFTER EFFECTS to do the speed ramping. I'm aware of the indicator that lets you know if your clip is rendered or not, that is not where I'm seeing the issue, I see the issue in the final export after I have made the speed ramp.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the footage is fine out of premiere, and you are doing work in AE, does it look ok in AE or VLC after playback?

so the only issue is when you import it back into premiere? premiere's interpret fps should be w/e you exported as fps in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the problem is with the speed ramping in Ae, then maybe this question is better suited for the Ae forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines