• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The best Codec for Premiere CS4

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to learn more about codecs, but still having trouble understanding it fully. I have a new computer, so it makes sense that I need a certain codec to install in order to view my video as I edit on Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. My footage works on Windows Media Player, and the quality is somewhat Poor when I play it on Quicktime (but at least it works).

Now a few questions I have. First, does anyone know the best codec to use for Adobe Premiere Pro? I import DV files from my camcorder, and almost all of my video files are ".avi"

Also, I notice that the codecs are different for each media player that I apply this footage to. And I simply see instructions to download the correct codec. Well first I dont know which codec would be best for my setup, plus my second question: Once I do install the correct codec, will Premiere automatically know to use that codec? Or do I have to adjust a certain setting in Premiere to make the correct codec function? I could not see any setting that allowed me to change the codec...

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Rick Phillips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2009 Jun 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm,

Now I am receivind a different error message:

"The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

Do you know what can be causing the error this time? I've installed the up-to-date version of this driver through HP...

Thanks

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2009 Jun 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is weird. I would contact HP and get their help on installing the latest driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently trying to get help from HP right now. But 1 thing, I notice that download specifies for a notebook, and I am not working with a notebook. This is an actual desktop computer. Is there a seperate download link specifically for that? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a desktop machine? Do have another video card you can test? If so, disable the onboard video and try that instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

You said:

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS HD

The link I gave you on the nVidia website is the driver for that video card. Just to be sure this is the correct display adapter, right click on My Computer, Properties, Device Manager, Display Adapter. Does it indeed say 9300M? I thought, but may be mistaken here, that the M version is the mobile version used in notebooks.

Go again to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and select the driver for your display adapter, as you have determined with the steps above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2009 Jun 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Graphics Card is Intel GMA X4500HD Integrated graphics, notebook graphics card.

I dont know how I wound up with NVIDIA previously... I must have downloaded something at some point before I had done a full system restore, and now I am back to this driver.

I had confirmed with HP that this was the latest version of this driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3871946

Mine is the Original Intel Graphics Driver, version 7.15.10.1537

I see for the systems requirement for premiere: Open GL2 graphics driver. Is mine compatible with this?

One thing I keep noticing is that everytime I completely uninstall and reinstall chipset driver, The display settings become really messed up, but then Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 works perfectly. But then shortly later, my computer will update itself, my computer will revert back to the correct display settings, and then I am back to having the same problems with Adobe CS4...

What I am going to wind up doing is purchasing the NVIDIA Driver, but I might need a little helping making sure I am purchasing the right one. Do you know which one will work best for me? My computer is an HP Touchsmart IQ540 (if that helps)

Just so you know, if you wind up solving my problem, you will be dubbed king of Adobe.

Thanks!

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2009 Jun 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not noticed that you were on a laptop before - sorry.

What happens on very many laptops is that the Video (and often Audio) is setup in a proprietary way. In these cases, ONLY drivers from the manufacturer will work/install properly. Even if one has an nVidia, or other, graphics chip, they will often be unable to install the drivers from nVidia, even though the chips match up. In the case of Toshiba, for instance, only Toshiba drivers will work, and Toshiba is famous for NOT updating their drivers.

You might have some luck at Drivers2Go. That link is for nVidia, but you can navigate around the site to match up your exact GPU. One basically downloads the most recent driver from the GPU's manufacturer's site, and then runs it through a utility to make it match up to the laptop's manufacturer's specs., HP in your case.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it really be an issue with my Graphics driver if I am able to play video files on every single media aplication except for Premiere CS4?

Very possible, yes.  Premiere may well use the GPU is ways that other software players don't, which could be why only Premiere has the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Graphics driver I have is the Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset.

That is not the video driver. That is the chipset driver. Look here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_186.03_whql.html and compare the version with the one currently installed. Go to Device Manager, Display adapter and check the currently installed driver version with the one in the link.

I'm still awaiting a reply to post # 5 and post # 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

The reason for this "false positive" is because of the naming convention used by Adobe, when registering the MainConcept CODEC's. There are probably two reasons for this:

1.) the CS4 "trial" ships with the MPEG CODEC's disabled, due to licensing issues with MainConcept. Adobe would have to pay a royalty to MainConcept for every trial shipped if they were active, and this would cost a great deal of money, that Adobe would have to recoup someplace else, like from my (and your) pocket, when I buy the program. I'd wager that the MainConcept CODEC's install with the trial, but are disabled via code inside of the trial. By using a different naming convention, Adobe can be certain that the trial does not disable any other CODEC's on one's system. Pretty neat, if you think about it. Now, I've never had a trial, so I cannot verify this speculation. Adobe has been rather mum on exactly how they eliminate the MainConcept MPEG CODEC's in the trial.

2.) many programs install their own CODEC's. This can cause many problems. Adobe "protects" its CODEC's by using a slightly different naming convention, so they will NOT be overwritten by some other program. Pretty neat, if you think about it, again.

G-Spot, Sherlock the CODEC Detective, and some others, will throw false-positives for issues, because they are not smart enough to realize what Adobe has done.

Good luck with your issue,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Could you please double check that your video graphics drivers are up to date.  I had a similar issue to you with video not playing but audio was audible.  It turned out that the driver that I thought was the current one, was in fact, NOT the latest one.  What graphics card are you using and what is your driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS HD

It's a brand new HP TouchSmart IQ500, So I wouldnt quite expect anything to be out of date. Does this info help?

Thanks

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the driver version, Rick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the time that a computer ships, the audio and video drivers are usually several months and versions out of date.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When capturing dv files from your camcorder you do not need to install any codec. Premiere knows excatly which one to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill already said it, but it is better to repeat it, because otherwise you run the severe risk that you need to reformat your hard disk, reinstall your OS and all programs:

DO NOT INSTALL ANY CODEC PACKS!!!

Premiere comes with all the codecs needed for VIDEO editing.

Since you appear pretty new to all this, I suggest you get some schooling, study tutorials and read the manual/help file.

Otherwise you would not have mentioned that your files are AVI, since that is absolutely irrelevant. AVI is just a wrapper and for video editing the contents are relevant, meaning the codec and AVI is NOT a codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that I have yet to see a post from Harm that builds someone up? What is your capacity here? to tear down every post you read and offer up a superior attitude to show the common folk how much higher and mighter you are? Maybe I am off base here and alot of you guys here respect this guy but I just gotta say you sure do come off sounded like a grouchy old man in every dang post I read of yours...What gives?

Flame away.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm actually is a grouchy old man.  But, as he really does know his stuff, his advice is often well heeded, even if one dislikes the delivery.

Ignore the messanger, heed the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact file I right click and install simply says "cedocida". I checked the properties and it is a .inf file. The icon is of a notepad with a little setup "lockwasher" picture on the notepad.

I dont care about grouchiness. I have been grouchy for over a week trying to get by videography business up and running again, but I try not taking it out on anyone. I truly appreciate anyone's attempt to even try helping me with this issue. So anyone with the time to provide the information I need can be as grouchy as they want, as long as my problem gets fixed

Thanks for your help. Am I installing the correct file?

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick

upload the file so others can try opening it to see if it works for us.

Is this a video you shoot and captured ?  and if so with what did you capture it with PP 1.5 ?

you can upload a file here under 5MB

try that if you can

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick- I recently ran into major driver issues with a new Acer 6930G notebook, when I decided that I wanted to install Windows XP on it, rather than the bundled Windows Vista (both 32 bit). Acer offered no support for the system if Windows XP was installed, and no bundled driver packs were available.

After installing XP I ended up with a somewhat crippled machine, until I got onto Driver Detective. It's a free download, and basically it scans your machine to determine the appropriate drivers your system needs to improve/restore its performance. From there you can do as I did and register, and direc download links are provided to all of the drivers your system requires. The license can be shared among 10 computers, and costs US$29 for a years worth of updates and scans. There's also a current promo where you can get an extra year's updates for an additional $10 too.

I highly recommend this program/service as a means to helping you out of your driver dramas!

Here's the link: http://www.drivershq.com/

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HP Touchsmart IQ540 is classed as a "desktop" but it is highly integrated and built with notebook/laptop components.  The Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD is OpenGL 2.0 compatible.  There is no nVidia component in this system and therefore no reason to look for nVidia drivers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I've got to hand it to you... You are a lot more patient than I am.  These so called experts handing out the solutions thick & fast when REALLLY they've got NO IDEA how to solve this problem.  I can only hope that none of them are being paid by Adobe to lead you up the garden path.. which has clearly happened by getting you to start updating display drivers that were operating perfectly ok.  It just doesn't make sense that if the video works fine in WMP which is directly using your display drivers THEN THE DISPLAY DRIVERS MUST BE WORKING...

Its just a shame that certain people can't admit THEY DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER

clearly Adobe has a problem & they haven't solved it yet, and thats fine so long as they can admit it & update us when possible.

PS Anyone who suggests to use the likes of driver doctors should not be giving out advice...  The only way to update drivers & to physically check the brand & model of your hardware device & download the exact drive necessary DIRECT from the manufacturer.

Good luck with finding the solution. I'm still searching..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KrisB74,

You need to consider that WMP interacts with the graphics adapter through DirectX.  Premiere Pro does not.  The fact that there are distinct "data pipelines" to the graphics adapter means that driver version and driver capabilities can have a very profound effect on Premiere and not on WMP.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

You need to acknowledge that there is a problem especially when the avi's

have been working in previous version but not in CS4. I'm well aware how

graphics adapters & their drivers work & this is clearly nothing to do with

the issues. I would suggest the problem is an obvious one... Adobe has

refused to pay the very expensive royalties associated with using MPEG2

codecs & the results are speaking for themselves. I mean take 3 mins take

your head out of the sand do a google search & see just how many others are

having exactly the same problems...

Kind regards,

Kristin Barr

Operations Manager

Cape Don Experience

Phone: 08 8979 0030

Fax: 08 8979 0568

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines