• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The best Codec for Premiere CS4

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to learn more about codecs, but still having trouble understanding it fully. I have a new computer, so it makes sense that I need a certain codec to install in order to view my video as I edit on Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. My footage works on Windows Media Player, and the quality is somewhat Poor when I play it on Quicktime (but at least it works).

Now a few questions I have. First, does anyone know the best codec to use for Adobe Premiere Pro? I import DV files from my camcorder, and almost all of my video files are ".avi"

Also, I notice that the codecs are different for each media player that I apply this footage to. And I simply see instructions to download the correct codec. Well first I dont know which codec would be best for my setup, plus my second question: Once I do install the correct codec, will Premiere automatically know to use that codec? Or do I have to adjust a certain setting in Premiere to make the correct codec function? I could not see any setting that allowed me to change the codec...

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Rick Phillips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I am really happy now! Im glad this isnt a hardware issue. Sometimes the newer things are the less compatible lol. It worked! I downgraded to driver. I assure you that this thread has been the only one to provide the answer! Gotta love the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2010 Mar 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import video and get an error message stating it's an unsupported Format or damaged file (which isn't the case as it works just fine with Movie Maker.  Adobe TS made me install CODEC's from some free site when i was using Premiere elements a month ago before switching to Pro which when i originally downloaded it it worked w/o a hitch-no changes to my system.  i did update my graphics cards ATI Radeon 5770 but it was doing this before the update.  i so far behind on this project due to serious issues with Adobe; the big one was just resolved but now some minor issues are in the way.  this is for my sons school and his wrestling team-i've missed the awards dinner and am missing all deadlines so i must get it done.  any help would greatly be appreciated, the files range from AVCHD to MOD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are CODEC's, and then CODEC's and finally CODEC's. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Because one has a CODEC properly installed does not mean that all programs, especially NLE's, can use them to edit.

Which file formats are giving you the problems, the AVCHD or the MOD files, or both? For the MOD, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Can you test Importing a simple MPEG-2 file? Same error?*

What version of PrPro are you running?

If CS4, have you updated to CS4.2?*

* If you cannot Import a simple MPEG-2 file either, and have CS4, see Reply #5 in this THREAD.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, take a look at this ARTICLE. I know that you are not working with AVI, but it discusses file format "wrappers," and will give you tips on gathering up the full details of these files. Where you should pay special attention is the info that G-Spot will give you. Also, part of what it does is survey one's system for installed CODEC's. Those can also be seen from Tables (in the Toolbar). Do not be alarmed if it tells you that the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's have a problem, as that is a false-positive, due to Adobe's naming convention to protect and hide their CODEC's so that they do not get overwritten.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe TS made me install CODEC's from some free site when i was using Premiere elements a month ago before switching to Pro which when i originally downloaded it it worked w/o a hitch-no changes to my system.

Which CODEC's did T/S instruct you to install? Was it a CODEC "pack," like K-Lite? Did you also install FFDShow, which is included? If so, do you still have that installed? FFDShow has caused no end to grief with Adobe programs. It is also very difficult to remove completely. I would not let it within a mile of any of my computers. However, I feel the exact same way about CODEC packs, as they usually cause more problems, than they have ever solved.

Right now, I am leaning toward your CS4 "reverting" to the "trial" version, because both MOD and AVCHD are MPEG variations, and the "trial" version will not support ANYTHING MPEG.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2010 Mar 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with what Hunt has said. I would try these 3 things in order:

(assuming it isn't a trial)

1. Upgrade to the new version which has better MP4 support.

2. Make sure you have fully uninstalled all previous versions of adobe premiere software (inc. elements, cs3 etc). If not, uninstall them and go to # 3

3. Reinstall CS4..

The graphics driver could also be an issue, you may have to roll back, but from the type of error you are getting I'd save that tilkl last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your advice, I am still working some CS details out with Adobe but we've come to a resolution to upgrade to Pro which I am currently using as a trial.  But removing all previous versions makes a lot of sense as well and should have thought of it before hand.  is there any consequence to removing element such as removing CODEC's that may have been installed for it, is it a separate situation altogether and should I do a l of Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 can coexist with PrElements, with no issues. Same for CS3 and CS2 (Production Studio). Many also have kept previous versions of PrPro installed, with no issues.

As far as I know, these are the only things to consider:

1.) If you have CS2 (Production Studio) and then install PrE 4, it will kill all programs in CS2. A Repair Install will handle that issue. To the best of my knowledge these two versions of each program are the only ones to suffer from this problem.

2.) If you have both PrPro CS3 and CS4 installed, and then uninstall CS3, it will take CS4 elements with it. A Repair Install will handle that issue.

There ARE CODEC's that can cause issues, and elements in CODEC packs, that can cause issues. In general terms, however, most well-written CODEC's are just fine. Now, some cannot be used by PrPro to edit, and some cannot be used to encode, but their presence is seldom an issue. Note: "well-written" is key here. Many free CODEC's are not well-written, and DO cause issues.

One element of several CODEC packs, FFDShow, has caused major issues for many.

Just some observations.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed with Bill. One little note: You will probably experience errors if you have cs3 installed as well as cs4. Editing will be fine however exporting can (and will) be a problem.

Get a the full version, get rid of any codec packs and do a clean install and patch. It should be fine from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines