• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there are 4-6 disjointed threads about some big problems Mac users are finding with CS6 (and 6.0.1)  To give us a better place to figure out solutions and for others to find with a search, maybe we can post a discussion here.

The Adobe engineers are participating and receiving crash logs, and hopefully a pattern can develop.

I'm on a MacPro 4,1, Lion 10.7.4, CS6.0.1, 32GB RAM, GTX 285 with the latest nVidia and CUDA drivers.  I am seeing 2 primary issues:

Lots of Serious Error crashes.  This happens without any noticeable pattern - sometimes with the title tool, trim monitor, or simply just scrubbing the timeline.  It seems to happen more frequently with Dynamic Links in the timeline.  Also, I believe it is happening more often (or maybe exclusively)  with the MPE GPU option enabled.  I think in Software Only mode, it may not be present, although further testing required.

Also, I am having an issue where Pr will display black only in the source and program monitors, unless I click around the timeline and will get flashes of images.  This is remedied by changing over to Software Only for the MPE.  It seems to be worse if Safari is running.

Wil - an Adobe engineer - has taken a look at my crash logs and seems to think something is funky with the graphcs drivers in both cases, but crash logs from other users seem to not agree. 

CS6 on the mac - for  me and a few others - is incredibly flaky.  If you are having issues, can you post and explain what you are seeing and what your hardware/driver config is.  Any patterns we can find will help the engineers troubleshoot and get this taken care of. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 535 Replies 535
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin Monahan,  I for one really appreciate your willingness to help us narrow down our issues, especially since you are a Mac user and from the sound of it not having an issues.  So thank you for your participation.

@needles27,  I agree, this is the biggest one for me and is the reason I have participated in this thread, thus the title of the thread.

The issues "System Error too cryptic," might be helpful to diagnose your system, please file a bug.

The issue: "Premiere Pro crashed a lot with GTX 285" should definitely be filed on an official bug report:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I am getting the "Serious Error" crash inexplicitly as well with a Quadro 4000 for mac, which I will be adding in the description to my bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RBemendo wrote:

@Kevin Monahan,  I for one really appreciate your willingness to help us narrow down our issues, especially since you are a Mac user and from the sound of it not having an issues.  So thank you for your participation.

@needles27,  I agree, this is the biggest one for me and is the reason I have participated in this thread, thus the title of the thread.

The issues "System Error too cryptic," might be helpful to diagnose your system, please file a bug.

The issue: "Premiere Pro crashed a lot with GTX 285" should definitely be filed on an official bug report:

I am getting the "Serious Error" crash inexplicitly as well with a Quadro 4000 for mac, which I will be adding in the description to my bug report.

Not only am I a Mac user, I grew up down the street from the mothership, not far from Steve's garage! Also, I have worked there on the FCP and XSAN teams, but very happy to be here at Adobe now!

Thanks so much more submitting a bug report. I will add your issue to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Kevin...I get a Kernel Panic whenever I try to scrub my video in the Preview window without fail. It also happens when I'm trimming video, moving a clip, etc. It locks the entire system and I get a hard error saying I have to reboot the system.

I don't have much else to report because I can't work in PPro more than a few minutes before it crashes.

MacBook Pro 15"

2.3 GHz, i7, 8GB RAM

OX 10.7.4

Dual Screen Config:

Resolution (laptop): 1680 x 1050

Resolution (Monitor): 1080p

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurrykid wrote:

@ Kevin...I get a Kernel Panic whenever I try to scrub my video in the Preview window without fail. It also happens when I'm trimming video, moving a clip, etc. It locks the entire system and I get a hard error saying I have to reboot the system.

I don't have much else to report because I can't work in PPro more than a few minutes before it crashes.

MacBook Pro 15"

2.3 GHz, i7, 8GB RAM

OX 10.7.4

Dual Screen Config:

Resolution (Monitor):

Have you tried "multiple" video card driver versions to see if you have any different stability results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the video card drivers are provided by the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurrykid wrote:

No, the video card drivers are provided by the OS.

I have a suspicion that most of these problems are due to those drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurrykid wrote:

MacBook Pro 15"

2.3 GHz, i7, 8GB RAM

OX 10.7.4

Dual Screen Config:

Resolution (Monitor): 1080p

I added your issue to the list. Ensure that you've filed a bug report for this problem.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin...bug report filed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be noted that if I change the Mercury Playback Engine to "software Only", I do not get the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurrykid wrote:

It should be noted that if I change the Mercury Playback Engine to "software Only", I do not get the crashes.

Thanks, I'll add that note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Another one to add (and yes I'll file a report) is today I have a problem where CUDA was enabled and Pr crashed.  When ever I try to re-open the project it immediately crashes again before I get chance to disable CUDA.

The only way to recover the project is to create a NEW project with CUDA disabled, then import the old project in to the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage wrote:

Kevin,

Another one to add (and yes I'll file a report) is today I have a problem where CUDA was enabled and Pr crashed.  When ever I try to re-open the project it immediately crashes again before I get chance to disable CUDA.

The only way to recover the project is to create a NEW project with CUDA disabled, then import the old project in to the new one.

Thanks for your clarification and bug report!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is new...

Just got a kernal panic that ALSO managed to corrupt the project file.

Yikes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dv416 wrote:

Well this is new...

Yikes.

Are you folks who are getting Kernel Panics running Disk Warrior afterwards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Curtis wrote:

dv416 wrote:

Well this is new...

Yikes.

Are you folks who are getting Kernel Panics running Disk Warrior afterwards?

Sorry that happened. Could you please file a bug report? http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see we are getting some organization.  The more I have problems, the more it seems that it is (for me) a CUDA problem.  In the crash logs, I am mostly seeing CUDA or GPU being referenced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think the disorganization is what derailed the thread. Engineers are appreciating the thread too. We are making sure that we have bugs logged for each of these issues. We are having a hard time reproducing some of these bugs. I'll let you guys know which ones, so we can find a reproducible case. A reproducible bug is crucial to find a solid fix for it. Keep those bug reports (with reproducible cases) coming in. A "sometimes" reproducible bug is also really helpful.

Thanks guys, we're getting some good traction on this now. Keep 'em coming and I'll keep the list up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend people with issues should send their "problem" projects to Adobe to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea.  Now how long will an 800GB project take over the web ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that along with Mountain Lion update today (which is being recommended by Adobe, by the way) there is also a new CUDA driver.  I have so much hope that this will solve the problems, and not cause too many others.  After I clone my HD, I am going to make the plunge and try it out.  I don't have much to lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope so too.   I have a full time machine backup which I will keep ready if I need it, and now I'm waiting for my free update codes from Apple for a qualifying machine.   Once that arrives I will certainly install it and see how it goes..... but for now ML is going nowhere near my production systems!

It's good to hear that Adobe think it's going to be more stable, but I'll be sad if 'you need to upgrade to ML' turns out to be the only solution to the problems because when ever I update the O/S 'something' breaks, like a driver for a peripheral etc.   We'll see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only concern I have is that Adobe is saying that going to ML addresses issues with Open CL.  So, for nVidia / Quadro 4000 users, it may not be the panacea we were hoping for.

Please let us know how it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4586892?tstart=0#4586892

Don't get your hopes up.  I backpedaled on my initial optimism, after getting a Serious Error in Mountain Lion, and discovering some real problems with Ae and Pr as well.  Back to Lion, in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Curtis wrote:

tclark513 wrote:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4586892?tstart=0#4586892

Don't get your hopes up.  I backpedaled on my initial optimism, after getting a Serious Error in Mountain Lion, and discovering some real problems with Ae and Pr as well.  Back to Lion, in the meantime.

I added OS X Mountain Lion to the list of OS X software giving the Serious Error warning.

For others that are having trouble with Premiere Pro on Mountain Lion, please file a bug report:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines