• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread

Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there are 4-6 disjointed threads about some big problems Mac users are finding with CS6 (and 6.0.1)  To give us a better place to figure out solutions and for others to find with a search, maybe we can post a discussion here.

The Adobe engineers are participating and receiving crash logs, and hopefully a pattern can develop.

I'm on a MacPro 4,1, Lion 10.7.4, CS6.0.1, 32GB RAM, GTX 285 with the latest nVidia and CUDA drivers.  I am seeing 2 primary issues:

Lots of Serious Error crashes.  This happens without any noticeable pattern - sometimes with the title tool, trim monitor, or simply just scrubbing the timeline.  It seems to happen more frequently with Dynamic Links in the timeline.  Also, I believe it is happening more often (or maybe exclusively)  with the MPE GPU option enabled.  I think in Software Only mode, it may not be present, although further testing required.

Also, I am having an issue where Pr will display black only in the source and program monitors, unless I click around the timeline and will get flashes of images.  This is remedied by changing over to Software Only for the MPE.  It seems to be worse if Safari is running.

Wil - an Adobe engineer - has taken a look at my crash logs and seems to think something is funky with the graphcs drivers in both cases, but crash logs from other users seem to not agree. 

CS6 on the mac - for  me and a few others - is incredibly flaky.  If you are having issues, can you post and explain what you are seeing and what your hardware/driver config is.  Any patterns we can find will help the engineers troubleshoot and get this taken care of. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 535 Replies 535
Enthusiast ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info - I tried the workaround and the nVidia diver installed, but since I was on 10.8.2 and not 10.8.1, my system got completely screwed up.  So, I just finished a recovery and now back to the OSX version of the driver.  I will continue testing Pr. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was reluctant to try that myself. After getting a few crashes with Premiere in 10.8.2 with the older nVidia drivers I used Time Machine to revert to 10.8.1 and the superior 304.00.00f20 driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved on my 2009 mac pro w/ quadro 4000 card. was getting non-stop errors - esp. on parts of the timeline i'd dynamically linked to AE on.  updated my nvidia driver (this is the first one for my system they've put out that is mountain lion compatible) and everything is back to normal. it really is amazing how fast CS6 is vs fcp 7 when everything is working right...

here's the link to the driver download...

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I got a notification that a CUDA update 5.0.61 was required, downloaded and installed and since then Premiere Pro CS6 started giving me the Serious Error report on one particular project that I've been working on for the past month.  Never had this issue before.

Macbook Pro mid 2012 non-Retina

OS X 10.8.4

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

The crash continued to occur with less and less interaction in the project timeline until at this point I get the Serious Error crash immediately upon opening the project.  There are a lot of things going on in the timeline including: Dynamic Linking with Audition, exported After Effects files (not Dynamic Linked), audio synced with Pluraleyes (Found out the hard away that there is a bug that makes Audio Filters go offline after you close a project with audio synced this way).

I have other simpler projects that I can open and seem to be able to edit without issue.  Very disappointed to lose this video but from all the evidence I can gather off this thread and others there doesn't seem to be a fix for this issue.  I deleted my CUDA files and reinstalled version 5.0.37 and ran a hardware check for good measure, reset my PRAM.  Haven't reinstalled Premiere because I can't find my install discs so for now I'm pretty much giving up on it, but I'd be curious to know if other people have the same issue come up with their CUDA updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has not been a fix posted in this thread because as has been stated in multiple places in this thread - this is a generic error.  There is no one specific cause for the error.

If you want help on your specific issue - please, create a new thread with the information from this post - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0

This thread got so unwieldly that it is checked very infrequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

Don't think I'm the recipient you intended. I have no "serious error" and tech support fixed the problem.

Thx...jw

Jim Watt

Bennett-Watt HD Productions, Inc.

13021 244th Ave SE

Issaquah, WA 98027

Office: 425-392-3935

Cell: 206-310-0181

Jwatt@Bennett-Watt.com

www.Bennett-Watt.com

www.HDStockfootage.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't read all posts, but I was also having the serious error on my MBP running Mountain Lion. Trying to import .swf movies on a 1920 x 1080 canvas at 24 fps.

I've done it lots in the past with CS4, with no issues.

Then I remembered I was also having a crash error with AE last summer, and the answer was "shut down everything but that one application," which worked. Some sort of RAM allocation issue, it appears.

I hate that, because I tend to run 5-7 applications at any given time, but in any case it definitely cleared up the error.

Hope that helps.

- ianalexh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted to this thread a few times for issues over the years - then I switched to a windows based machine.  I've gone from having several project stopping errors every quarter to zero errors.  That's right, Since moving to windows 8 I've had ZERO CS 6 errors - no serious errors, no general errors, no minor errors.  My setup on windows is completely stable without me having to worry about CUDA upgrades (they seem to just magically take place), Magic Bullet issues, video copilot issues, sapphire issues

Which means i've found the solution to the mac 'serious error' issue.  Don't use a mac

ps.  the last thing i wanted to have to do was switch operating systems.  But i was literally losing days per year of working time navigating 'serious errors.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which means i've found the solution to the mac 'serious error' issue.  Don't use a mac

It's too bad we're not allowed to post that as a viable option for everyone else.  It really does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5 on Mac never an issue for us. Completely stable. Didn't jump on CS6 till a few updates. Once we did we only had a few crashes ocassionally. Now it's all very stable. No problems with CUDA or anything. We had considered trying out a PC for the main editbay, but in the end didn't need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly convinced (tho I could be wrong) that most of the Serious Errors on Mac are the fault of nVidia drivers.

I once was getting numerous errors every day, and was able to stop them by re-installing the driver and CUDA update.

There are also still some issues with CC and the AJA LHi drivers.

Unrelated:  Hitting Cancel on an Export (Make Movie) ALWAYS causes a Serious Error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines