Exit

Timeline WONT STOP playing ?!?!?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing, the playback won't stop.

That is right, you read correctly, 
I hit play, and then cannot stop it.Keyboard no longer gets any result from any keys in Premiere.

Mouse moves fine, but nothing responds to clicks.

It plays as long as it wants, at least seven minutes, sometimes an hour.

When it stops it does whatever key clicks I entered, during its time as a runaway.

It will save, or open panels, or make markers,   whatever keys I had pressed.

I was using wireless.  Now I am using the second of two WIRED keyboards and a wired mouse.

Still same problem.
Impossible to edit like this.

This just happened now, while perfecting a three camera edit in Multicam.

I had just tweaked an edit point with the rolling edit tool in the middle of a 90 minute timeline.

Restarting the program, or rebooting makes no difference.

CC 2017  with Windows 7.

But I have experienced this with many earlier versions of PP.

This has happened in projects that are newly started as well as older projects. 

ANY IDEAS ?  This is something that is hard to search for due to being similar words as other problems.

Please, can anyone help me ?

not sure what tags to use on this post - its not about playback, its about NOT STOPPING playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

One fix could be related to NVIDIA drivers. Please install the 528.49 studio driver and let us know how it goes with 23.2. Any other driver, especially game ready drivers can cause unexpected behavior. Furthermore, take note of the GeForce Experience. Do not run it concurrently with Premiere Pro. NVIDIA drivers have been faulty for a couple of months now and have caused multicam editors a lot of problems. Check it out.

@ShaunK321 has also found a potential solution for those running 23.1 and A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Hello,

I am so sorry that some of you are still experiencing this bug in current versions. I appreciate everyone that wrote constructive posts and commentary. Unfortunately, the Premiere Pro team does not respond in this user-to-user forum, but they do read the Bug Reports and Ideas forums. Please address them there.

For action on this bug, please upvote and make further comments on this bug report. That would be the best thing we can do as a community. As a community manager here, I will also

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 154 Replies 154
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi digitalimagestudiosUK,

Sorry for your performance issues. We don't know enough about your system and media. However, it sounds like your computer may not be powerful enough to playback the media you have in your Timeline. Proxies or transcodes can help a lot with performance. If you have nested sequences with different settings and effects added, you may have to render those sections for reliable playback. Any clips with heavy effects also may need to be rendered. Can you try creating proxies (or transcodes), rendering the tricky sections, and report back? I hope we can assist.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin...How can the problem be my computer being underpowered when its all playing fine? no stuttering..all fine, the problem is I cant stop it!! takes between 3 to 12 seconds to stop. tired of this 'use proxies' talk, it worked fine a couple of years ago using same media!! I pay just under £50 a month for creative suite, these bugs have gone on far too long. had enough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry. I understand the frustration. Let me know the details so I can try to reproduce your issue. What's your computer setup? What kind of media are you using? Is it a Multicam project? How many streams? Working with optimized media has solved the issue for others. I know this worked in the past, but sometimes system requirements become more stringent as new versions roll out. Knowing more info might help us troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue, intermittent. I created 4k prores 422 proxy videos. The issue has happened in projects with as few as 3 cameras for me. Sometimes I only have 5mpbps 4k h.264 files but I transcode these to prores proxy. My computer specs are ryzen 3700x, rtx 3070, 64gb ram, and all media on a 2tb 860 evo sata SSD. Using 970 evo as a cache drive. I have noticed the issue to be far more common when using h.264 files for multicam, even if they are only 1mbps. I usually apply lumetri color to each original video file as well as scale the clip and then scale additonally in the multicam timeline. Lumetri seems to aggrivate the issues, and even after transcoding to prores proxy, the issue still sometimes happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NIce post ... complete details on hardware/media/process and how/when the crud splatters. Which means, a very useful post. Thanks for taking the time!

@Fergus Hammond  ... got anyone with ideas?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all the threads about this issue in the past 5 years, no Adobe rep has ever said they'd work on a solution on their end. The problem is always our fault, our media. It's 2022 - are you really saying that in order to edit a simple sequence I need to slow my workflow way down with a bunch of media management steps?? (proxy files, etc). And I'm supposed to avoid speed changes and other effects? Maybe I'll just go back to editing on a 35mm movieola, at least I'll get exercise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very frustrating thing ... as the vast majority of us aren't having the problem. And I do mean, the vast majority ... it's a very small subset of you that are cursed with this. And yea, it's a nasty issue for you no question. Full sympathy here!

There's a person up-thread who works with ProRes and has this. I've worked with ProRes for years without any such issues. So what the freaking ... hay? ... is going on there? Why is ProRes on his system not workking fine and on mine, it's slick as snot?

This seems to be something that users have fixed by a number of different, totally unrelated things. So I'm guessing it can be triggered in a number of weird ways. I just wish somehow this could get totally sorted out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, bkfny.

Sorry about all the frustration with playback performance. These are user-to-user forums. I apologize that no team members are here. If you want the team to read your comment, you need to post it on the bug reports forum.

You wrote: The problem is always our fault, our media. It's 2022 - are you saying that to edit a simple sequence, I need to slow my workflow way down with a bunch of media management steps?? (proxy files, etc.).

Poor playback (like not stopping on demand) is a performance problem people seem to be having with the media they are using. To alleviate these issues, you have to change up the media. If you do not, the problems will continue given your system and media. 

It is normal to use proxies or transcode non-performant footage for computers that are not the latest gen or have the latest GPU and lots of RAM. To my satisfaction, very few computers are powerful enough to playback H.264 or HEVC footage, especially the 10-bit variants. I steer clear of that footage altogether.

You wrote: I need to slow my workflow way down.

Have you ever tried creating proxies or transcode on ingest? You can create proxies or transcodes in the background via Media Encoder. Just import, begin the proxy or transcode job and start cutting. The new media starts working for you as soon as it is ready. Pretty painless.

I hope we can help you solve your playback issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bkfny,

Sorry for this problem again. We have improved this workflow in the latest beta build. Can you please try the latest beta build version 22.5.0.27(or higher) from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there?

You can download the latest Premiere Pro Beta build from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps --> Premiere Pro (Beta)

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

I hope it will help.

Thanks,

Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try disablimg Mercury Transmit and tell me what happens

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that didn't help in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had and have this problem as well. At least I think I was able to narrow down when it occurs for me. Maybe this will help someone else here too.
For me it only happens when I have multicamera clips in the timeline. Not always but only then. The number of cameras doesn't matter, even if there's just one camera in the MC clip (I use that for audio-syncing) it's enough to trigger the problem. Maybe even a simple nest is enough, I'm not sure about that.
But the main thing is: it seems to only occur, when I'm zooming into or out of the timeline while it is playing back. As soon as I tried to avoid that, playback started and stopped normal. I know, that's far from ideal (jumping around the timeline while playing is actually beneficial to my workflow) but maybe it's a start until this problem will get fixed in about 9 years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it was a coincidence I guess. It didn't fix it after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in to say that I have had this very same problem frequently for three years. It seems to get worse when there are a lot of clips on the timeline. Premiere has more bugs than any other program I've ever used. I recently had to completely reinstall because it crashed every time I tried to create a new project. The fact that I still use it at all speaks to how much I don't want to learn how to use another program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed this thread for some time. I recently popped back on 2022 to see if it was resolved. It was not. I tried a few versions. I initially thought it was specifically related to multicam when zooming on the timeline. However, it randomly started occuring when scrolling a timeline on a simple single video cutting project. I was really confused. I was tracking my RAM usage, but my machine is a 2022 very high spec model. I highly doubt it's the machine. However, I decided to blow $200 and upgrade even more RAM... it didn't help.

Finally I tied the issue to one thing: extended monitor. I have one 4k monitor in front of me, and two 1080p monitors on the side (only one or the other hooked up at a time). So, essentially, 2 screens. I have the timeline, always, on the 1080p monitor. Since Adobe's stuff is always riddled with bugs, and for a long time before it was a scaling issue with them, I thought to check that. Today I right clicked premiere icon (not opening the app) and selected properties. In the compatibility tab, I changed settings for all users. Then clicked change high DPI settings. Then I clicked 'override high dpi scaling performed by APPLICATION'. Upon opening Premiere (which I had done a dozen times before to test parameters to fix this) I tested it again. Keep in mind, I'm testing one change to one setting at a time with the same project that freezes when the same timeline and position is moved. Sure enough, no delay in pausing, and no unstoppable playthrough while nothing else is clickable inside Premiere. Unfortunately, the timeline is now hyper zoomed in on my 1080p display because it's bumped up to 4k resolution from my main screen. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a bit annoying. However, this, so far today, has seemed to alleviate the issue. I wanted to share this with others that are suffering.

Anyhow, I hope this solution works for some of you. I have checked many forums and many posts in the past few days to see if any solutions were present. They were all the same sort of things they always say, and nothing worked for me. Good luck to you all. If it doesn't work for your situation, my apologies. Cheers.

Mod note: Edited for content. Make OT comments in the Video Lounge. Address Adobe Devs here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read through all replies, but I've found a bizarre fix. It makes zero sence, but seems to be working. I will update if this solution is faluable.
In your "Project" window, enable "Preview Area". Make sure that you have selected (click once) the sequence in the Project window that you are working on in your timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.... it has made the command to action of stopping shorter, but it hasn't fixed anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my last "fix" didn't work I found out something else. It may be related to audio nests that are not rendered yet. If you have a nest in your timeline that doesn't show the audio waveform, try "Render Audio". The waveform should generate and at least for now it fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

year 2022. it still happens. only solutöon seems to be creating prores proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What media are you working with? On what OS? Any effects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

latest macOS. latest premiere pro cc. high bitrate mp4 video. gopro8 and sony a7-4... if a project takes up to a half hour edit, stabilisation here and there... a little bit of coloring... the hustle becomes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ... that media. Yea, that's stuff a bit rough in playback. High-bitrate long-GOP to begin with, then throw in heavy effects like Warp & color work.

Kevin's commented up above & elsewhere that media can be problematic, and so ... have you tried proxies or t-codes?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem!

Mod note: Edited for content. Address Adobe Devs here. This is a user-to-user forum. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your media, OS/hardware, and what effects? Do you have this on all projects or just some or one? Basic troubleshooting steps needed here.

This is a problem for a very small group of users, and figuring out what does it on each system is needed. It isn't a major issue across users, so puzzling it out is a bit of a pain.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe, if a proper solution won't work/not feasible, then can't you guys at least find the offending code loops and just add some kind of kludge to manually check if the timeline is trying to say STOP??

Mod note: Address Adobe Devs in the Bug Reports forum here. They are not reading these user-to-user forums. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines