• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to save powerpoint image as a file format that will scale in premiere pro without losing quality

Contributor ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a logo someone sent to me in a powerpoint file but it appears you can't import powerpoint images into premiere.  Is there a file format I can save it as that when you zoom in on the image it won't lose any quality?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific by what you mean by "powerpoint images"? What specific steps are you taking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to save it in a resolution that will still show good at "100%" of the "zoom" you'll be doing.

So ... if you're going to zoom in so that a quarter of  the original image takes the full 1920x1080 screen (assuming "FullHD" sequence setting) ... then you'd need to save that image in a resolution of at least 4x 1920x1080 ... so as a still-shot with 7,680x4320 pixel resolution.

After that, png, psd, or jpeg would all work I think.

And hope the image of the powerpoint file can support that kind of image pixel dimensions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

And hope the image of the powerpoint file can support that kind of image pixel dimensions.

Neil

I was leading up to that but wanted to hear what the OP was actually doing. In my testing, PowerPoint seems to SaveAs or copy/paste images at a resolution matching the current scaling within the document, while apparently retaining the original internally as evidenced from the following... if you copy/paste the photo from PowerPoint to Word, then use Word to SaveAs, it seems you get the original full sized picture file. I'm using Office 2016 to do this testing so can't speak for other versions.

So if OP is trying to save images and having trouble, you might try copy/paste from ppt to word, save as from word to disk, then use that image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh and if it helps to know, I'm PC not Mac... and if not clear, what I'm saying above is that by using Copy/Paste from ppt to Word, and SaveAs from Word, my testing shows I get the max size original photo... that's the best I can expect ... so that's what I'd try to use. I cannot guarantee you have a ppt that has super high res... per Neil's post, you will be limited based on whatever you extract... I'm just saying that saveas directly from ppt will not yield the max if it's scaled down in ppt hence workaround through word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask for a logo in a decent (more normal) file,

AI or eps are infinitely scaleable.

Over size PSD, png (with transparency alpha) will be suitable.

JPG if you want to create transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo? Jpeg does not have transparancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this is possible.  PowerPoint doesn't offer any vector graphics export options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Shooternz says: get the original.

PPT images have to be converted first and then they are most of the time useless in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

Like Shooternz says: get the original.

PPT images have to be converted first and then they are most of the time useless in Premiere.

the original is always best if it's higher resolution. if you're stuck and only have ppt then you can do the copy/paste from ppt to word mentioned above, then save as from word... then use a tool like Bridge or whatnot to see its resolution... that will tell you the size which was embedded in the ppt doc which may actually be the original.

It's hard to say exactly what you should do without more info on what you're actually trying to export (actual image as in photo image, something that started as vector graphics and so on).

As also mentioned, if you copy/paste directly from ppt, in my brief testing with a full res DSLR photo in a ppt, you only paste the resolution as it appears in the ppt document at the time of copy/paste, not the original item embedded in the ppt which may be the original/larger.

Again, all of this (including everyone else's response) is abstract feedback because specifics are missing. If your ppt has the original then you already have that and just need to extract it properly. If it's rasterized from an original vector graphic, the orig vector is best... but without that, try to get the largest size rasterization per the steps above. Or, if a vector graphic is embedded directly into ppt, a copy/paste of one sort or another should allow you to get it from ppt to Premiere or an intermediate app like Illustrator or the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines