Just updated to 22.4 and trying to create captions. It transcribes the sequence but then I go to create captions and it loads them, but then they do not appear on the timeline or in the text panel. I've seen on past versions that people have gone to settings and enabled the display of captions, but I don't have that as an option. I've also tried regular subtitles and then 708-1, but neither are working. All screenshots are below. Please assist. Thank you!
I am having the exact same issue after updating to 22.4.0. I previously created captions for no less than 57 separate videos (each 1 – 8 minutes in length). After applying the update, captioning stopped working and I’m now dead in the water. I have another 19 videos to captions and I may have to do them manually…
Ugh sorry to hear that 😒
I do not like when Adobe releases a new UPDATE but it messes with stuff that used to work before the update. Maybe roll back to the previous version (or install the older version that worked) and create all your new videos and then maybe, JUST MAYBE you update at your own risk.
shadybeats, What do you see in the Transcript tab? Screenshot?
Your transcript shows that it starts at the 8 HOUR mark. This was a bug that started about 22.0.0 and was fixed in 22.1.1. Apparently some version of it is back.
As reported by @5C97, the workaround is to turn OFF transcribe in to out, or as also discovered in the past version of this bug, make sure that both an in AND out marker are set when using transcribe in to out. When you don't set an actual in or out marker, even though it acts like the beginning is an in point and the end is an out point, they are not. (There is no in or out point to "clear," for example.)
See this previous thread:
@NicoBecherer Has anyone reported this for a new bug report?
Ahhh ok, did not pay attention to the 8 hour mark. Thanks for the thread. I just created the in and out points, and it worked. Thank you so much for your help!
FYI, in PR Beta 22.6.0 Build 5, there is a change, that appears to prevent the problem by a) disabling the checkbox for "in to out" if there is neither an in or out point set and b) proceeding as if there is an automatic in point set if there is only an out point set,and vice versa. I can't tell if there is actually an automatic in or out point set; one is shown in the source monitor, but that always happened before anyway.
In any event, I would consider this a fix, since a) you shouldn't be able to specify in to out if you are transcribing the whole sequence and b) it now works if only in or out is set by the user.
Fortunately I haven't had any issue making captions from transcripts in 22.4, but I did notice something a bit odd after the 22.4 update, and that was captions blocks were no longer using the label color I set for captions under Preferences > Labels.
Wonder if these issues are related at all, or if anyone else is running into the same matter with caption label colors - like I said though, hasn't had any serious impact for me personally.
I've found a work-around that works - so far.
When transcribing the VO, I un-select 'Transcribe in point to out point only.' Now the caption text boxes have magically reappeared.
Oh my gosh, wow! Yes that definitely works for now! Thank you!!
Thanks, I have been struggling with the new 22.4 captions upgrade for over a week. This really helped!
This doesn't appear to be working for me. Could you possibly let me know the exact settings for both transcription and caption creation that you've found to work? I've tried a few different variations and nothing is working.
Not working how? The problem discussed in this thread only requires that you uncheck the "transcribe from in to out" setting when you do the transcription. If you don't (or don't set both an in and out marker), then no other settings will result in creating the actual captions.
To clarify, my sequence is transcribing fine, as usual but when I click 'create captions', it seems to render and creates a new caption track but nothing appears in the Text-Captions window and no captions appear on the timeline. I've tried multiple times with a variety of settings, have latest version of premiere, did a restart. Nothing seems to be working.
I've tried transcribing with 'transcribe from in to out' both on and off and both with and without i/o points set on the timeline. No difference.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Thanks for the info. Please post a screenshot of your transcript panel after transcribing with "in to out" unchecked.
I'm looking for the timecode and whether it starts at the telltale 8 hour mark.
Your symptoms are exactly what this thread is dealing with, so let's look at that a big more.
Stan, since my last post, I've managed to get it working but the only thing I changed was that I gave the speaker a name. I can't imagine that that would have an effect here but anyway, it's working and I need to crack on. Thanks for your help.
I was at my wit's end with this same issue, but tried naming the speakers, and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the intel!
Rob H, thanks for reporting what worked for you.
Still fascinating that naming the speaker makes a difference!