• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Clip Timecode in speech to text instead of sequence TC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an editor working on sequences which includes three or four clips of an interview in sequential order. We have been using the Transcript in Premiere Pro, but after the first clip in the sequence the timecode is off in the remainder of the Transcipt because it's running off of sequence timecode, not clip timecode and sometimes there is 2 - 5 minute production breaks in between the clips.

I was thinking I could just do the individual clips then export each out, combine them, and then export them back in, but there is no outside text program I have found that saves a .prtranscript file type that I could import into the Premiere sequence. I can import an .srt file, but than I would have to put it in the sequence defeating the usefulness of the Transcript tab for finding dialogue within the sequence - and we don't want a captions clip sitting in the timeline.

Is there anyway to specify the Transcript is created with clip timecode instead of sequence timecode? Is there anyway within the  Premiere Transcript window to adjust TC on a transcript? Is there any outside program that can combine a .prtranscipt and export it back out with the same extension? Or any other option I haven't thought of and already failed at?

TOPICS
Editing , Export , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

As you suggest, I don't think there's a way to do this currently. The feature request that might address your needs is one where the transcript/caption stream follows a clip. Here are the ones I have tracked. Upvote one or more:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43745805-add-the-facility-to-transcribe-clips-in-addition-t

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43301043-speech-to-text-transcript-for-source-files

But I'm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you suggest, I don't think there's a way to do this currently. The feature request that might address your needs is one where the transcript/caption stream follows a clip. Here are the ones I have tracked. Upvote one or more:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43745805-add-the-facility-t...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43301043-speech-to-text-tra...

But I'm not sure how you get a caption track to use anything other than sequence timecode. It won't be synced if it is not keyed to the sequence timecode. I'm assuming that you are using the full source transcript to find content, and giving editing instructions based on that content. But it is hard to find if the transcript timecode is different from the timecode in the sequence being edited?

Not the same thing, but I use clip markers in a source clip to make finding a clip "timecode" in a different sequence.

Still pondering this....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Stan,

Thank you for confirming what I suspected, there currently isn't a way to to this within Premiere and a work around hasn't been discovered.

I found the feature requests that you shared last night and upvoted a couple as well as added my own. And I agree with you, this wouldn't work for a caption track purpose, but we're simply trying to use the transcription feature to full effect for a sequence with multiple clips, and as of yet there appears to be no option for changing a transcripted sequence to source timecode.

I do use clip markers! My editor is prefering the in-program transcript so I was trying to figure out how to make it best work for him. I think Avid script sync is winning this competition still.

Appreciate your help.

kitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. Please post your feature request so we can upvote!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan

Apparently the two links in your post no longer work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rowby.

They are changing the bug reports/features requests from UserVoice to the regular forums. I'll investigate...

In the meantime, they are actively working on this in the Public Beta.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/text-panel-enhancements-part-2-assemble...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the uservoice entries, nor a new version in the "Ideas" section of the current forum

In this case, I don't think it matters: a) they are working on implementing a version of this, so new votes etc are not needed; b) when implemented in a regular "Release" version, new feature requests would be in order; and c) the effective intervention is commenting on the public Beta work.

Users are commenting on how their workflows do or do not work, and the developers are listening and asking questions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the way Transcribe currently works, you'd have to start a new Sequence from Clip 1, set the Sequence Start Time to "Set by first clip" (a custom keyboard shortcut can be set to open this dialog box), insert Clip 2, Clip 3, and Clip 4 at their corresponding time positions (leaving gaps) and then do the Transcribe.

If you're doing pancake editing (that is, with the Clips Seqeuence stacked with the assembly Seqeunce in the Timellne tab), you can work pretty quickly while making use of the resulting captions in the Clip Sequence.  It's pretty helpful if you're conforming a paper cut from a producer.

Editing post to add one thing real quick:  It doesn't have to be "pancake editing".  You just need to open the Clips Sequence in the Source tab (right-click > Open in Source Monitor) with Insert and Overwrites as Individual Clips set in the Assembly Sequence (upper left corner of this tab).  The Captions will go with the Insert or Overwrite as well.  Having the Clips Sequence open in the Timeline at the same time as the Assembly Sequence makes it easier to have a Timeline view available - but it's never more than an Open in Timeline action away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi guys. this one helped me to put the clips TC to the transcription instead of sequence TC . Just simply Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence with your clips ( pick Timecode -> Create single multicam source sequence). This will create a sequence with the clips timecode timeline. Then export your transcript and it will have a clips TC in txt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines