Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Korg NanoKontrol Studio for audio with Premiere Pro 14.1.0

Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Having some issues here. I found a tutorial on YouTube where a guy was able to get Korg's NanoKontrol Studio mobile MIDI controller to work as an audio mixer control surface inside Premiere. The process seemed straightforward, so I went ahead and ordered one.

Once I have the controller booted up in Mackie mode (set + rec button + turn on), I go into my control surface preferences, where "Mackie" is listed under Device Class. I click on it, and click the edit button under the window. Then I click settings on the window that pops up, then I click Mackie Control, then Edit, and under MIDI input and output devices, the NanoKontrol Studio is listed. So it seems that Premiere is recognizing it.

Only it doesn't control anything. The jog wheel doesn't work, nor do the faders or pan knobs. Not sure what I'm missing here. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Tangent Elements and Ripple control surfaces. They both have an option I need to have set in the Preferences for the control unit similar to the one for Mackie devices.

But they also have a control software from Tangent that sets what the controls do within Premiere. Does he mention anything like that? Is there a Korg software app that controls mapping of Korg controls to applications?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Korg Control app and I believe that's what it's used for, but he doesn't mention it in the video as being necessary for setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd check that app though, and maybe communicate with the YouTube guy or something. I get so ticked at so many of these things because I'll try something and can't get it to work. Finally chase someone down about it, and they'll say "Oh, well, you have to do this and set that to Y but everyone know's that".

Right.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil!

Followed your problem - because I have the same. Saw the YT-video how "easy" the installation process can be, ordered it - and nothing.

Can you please tell me, and maybe others as well, what you did to make it work? What apps or button combinations you had to press to make this thing work?

Thanks so much for your help!

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian,.

As noted in my reply, I've got the Tangent control panels, Elements and little Ripple. I don't have any Korg gear.

I think to get information on how that Korg could work with Premiere, you would need to communicate directly with Korg about it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I also saw teh video where he gives teh magic key commands THEN I read the manual -- when you start up the nanokontrol press SCENE and marker SET buttons. Now it's working and I am happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Are you on Mac or Windows? If Mac what version of OS and Premiere are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video below is for the nanokontrol 2. It might help give some ideas to get basic funtionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is confirmed to be a Mac/Windows dilemma. I'm on OS Catalina and the panel doesn't work with Premiere, but both this guy and the one in the inital video I mentioned were Windows users, and they're able to use it without issues.

Korg support also got back to me and said that the panel's USB MIDI driver is not compatible with the current version of Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Korg said it will not work than it will not work. Can you get a refund?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the big question mark now (waiting to hear back) is that they seem to imply that there's a workaround. Here's a direct quote from their email to me:

"Unfortunately the Korg USB MIDI driver is still not compatible with Catalina version 10.15. However, you can still use the nanoKontrol Studio with Apple’s USB MIDI Driver by removing the installed KORG USB MIDI Driver. Please reference the following link for more information: https://www.korg.com/news/2019/112902"

So I've run the uninstaller attached to this link and done what they suggest, but the controller is still not working with Premiere. Given the wording of their email and the OS issue, I can't tell if it's actually supposed to work or not.

Would consider a refund but I've had it for months and been using it quite regularly with Logic Pro X for music mixing and automation, where it works just fine. Might not be worth all this hassle at the end of the day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - did you ever get this to work in premiere on your Mac? If so - love to know the steps.

thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you start up the nanokontrol press SCENE and marker SET buttons

Make sure you have added a Mackie Control instance in Control Surfaces in PP's Preferences

Works like a charm. A friend let me play with his Korg so I am experimenting. Super easy to set up and assign shortcut keys

Stable on Big Sur and Monterey

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SoundW0rm93 what is the latest with yoru KORG  NanoKontrol Studio???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines