Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

using original clip names in new folders question

Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

If I have a folder I named B-Roll and put a bunch of clips in that folder which originally are named 001 etc Would another 0001.mp4 clip that I stick in a different folder cause problems or can I have as many clips with their native numbering names in their own unique folders without any issues? Just wondering if I have to rename every clip to a different name or not? If I didn't that would save me tremendous time when importing clips to edit.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend copying the full media card over to the hard drive and leaving it alone.  Name the media cards in a way that makes sense for the project.  Duplicate that organization with your bins.  Use metadata within Premiere Pro for organization beyond that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do organize with metadata create sub clips for important clips but what I really wanted to know was if it would ever happen that two clips could be named 001.mp4 and if that would somehow cause a problem if they were in two different folders of two cards on the same drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem

To reflect this, if you duplicate the video in the project panel, Premiere treats each one individually, therefore less problem must be done if each file is in different folders.

Captura de pantalla (38).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a free program called 'renamer' which I use to just add ( append) filenames that are the same with a 'date' or some specific ID that defines that batch of files ( scene range, shooting crew ( like, 1st unit, 2nd unit, etc. ))… AFTER I put the stuff into it's own folder I use the renamer thing. Then, even if you ever DO have a situation where you have to have them in the same folder you avoid the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not necessary to rename, I pose it in the following way, I have several projects that include videos that are sequences of images, numbered, each one in its respective folder, a project can include 5 videos, if there was a problem I would have, minimum value 1000 images by video, multiplied by 5 = 5000 problems, project started, edited, concluded, 0 problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ryce

You can have two pieces of media in different folders with the same name. This can cause massive problems if you have to relink later ut in the project itself duplicate names are OK because PrP assigns a unique ID number in the background.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can cause massive problems if you have to relink later

That's why the bin structure needs to mirror the folder structure on the hard drive, so you know exactly where it came from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Boy, I sure do agree that it is not necessary to rename files. Now, having said that here's a scenario.

Every time I pop my SSD out of my camera and dump files (move) into computer SSD I get files named sequentially.

FILENAME 0001.MOV to FILENAME 1000.MOV

OR they could be still images, for sequences based on importing image files.

I use renamer and APPEND in front of filename a descriptor.  For example:

SC-5-6-7 FILENAME 0001.MOV to SC-5-6-7 FILENAME 1000.MOV

necessary still image SEQUENCE numbers for importing still images untouched and good to go.

Description appended helps me FORVER remember and ID the files no matter where they end up.

This is a batch operation that works in a FOLDER'S FILES ...all of them in about 2 seconds are renamed. IT TAKES no time to put SSD into temp folder, rename, then move contents to NEW folder for editing, etc. The organization of folders, sub folders and bins in PPRO is just a matter of doing what's easiest and fastest for editing as usual.

So it's like no big deal and is only meant as a POTENTIAL for users to consider and by no means a SUGGESTION that anyone actually DO ANYTHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous comment was based on the problem of this thread, I apologize if it is misinterpreted.

Each editor chooses his method of work and organization, this is something where there is no written rule, each one makes his own.

Thanks Rodney for Boy, it has rejuvenated me for a few years,

regards

Juan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JuanMario, I know you suggest or inform threads based on helping users and I appreciate your posts. I learn from them sometimes. Especially as I use cs6 and it's nice to get to know new features with CC just by reading threads about it, etc.

This had to do with putting files with same names in same folder. An option is to put them in different folders and PPro will give each file it's own ID re: using in PPro, so there is no need to rename files.

My introduction of renamer is just a simple heads up, that if someone wanted to, they could batch process filenames really really fast, which gives the files a user determined ID that may or may not help keep track of what's what during edit or later in life, etc.

We are on the same page. It's nice to have options however, and that's why sometimes I mention things in threads, to sorta try and help a little bit.

Mostly, anyway. I have to admit that sometimes I get baffled by some of the threads but that is pretty rare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another point, but a bit far fetched I guess, is lets say someone wants to make a trailer from some stuff I have. Like a 1 minute trailer.

They ask for ( they have the shooting script ) sc. 1,32, 54, 77, 200 and 312.  They want to do their own transitions and J / L cuts etc... so I send slated sound stuff and the full clips ( with slates so they can sync themselves ).

Now I can dump that stuff ( based on my filenames they can all go into same root of thumb drive or data disc or whatever) and mail it to them. Easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's an example of trailer type thing I mean...

I worked on this show and it got cancelled due to lousy scripts mostly.

The pilot is done, the network wants to promote it, they order a trailer ( different editors than series editor ), the get material they want (original stuff ) which is, yes, already named via conventions usually ID descriptor type stuff for easy ID.

"Big Apple" TV Intro - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recognize that my English is not the best, and I will surely make mistakes in the writing of a comment, as well as there are times when I can not understand or interpret the meaning of the comment correctly.

If I help with the translation provided by Adobe I understand less, and even with Google's I can not do it correctly, I see that there is a misunderstanding and again I apologize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think your language skills are great. We gave user some options that fit certain needs. Most will probably not rename files but use named folders instead. For one thing most don't shoot slated stuff with sc1 take 1, sc1 take 2, etc. In the case of a B roll, I would personally just run that through renamer and append "B- " to the filename, but again, as you said you can just name the folder. Then into bin named B Roll, and it's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines